UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

Posted (edited)

I know it’s injury that’s caused him to miss the Euros… but for all the derision and contempt untoward Maguire, he’ll go down as one of England’s best ever centre-halves.

Not English centre-halves, but England’s. Done far more for the national team than the likes of Terry, Ferdinand, et al.

I dare say no other Englishman has scored in a World Cup and Euros quarter-final, let alone both being winning causes.

Edited by cannable

1 hour ago, cannable said:

I know it’s injury that’s caused him to miss the Euros… but for all the derision and contempt untoward Maguire, he’ll go down as one of England’s best ever centre-halves.

Not English centre-halves, but England’s. Done far more for the national team than the likes of Terry, Ferdinand, et al.

I dare say no other Englishman has scored in a World Cup and Euros quarter-final, let alone both being winning causes.

Same with Kane. Done more in an England shirt than any striker since Hurst.

Although he's one of the best ever English strikers anyway. 

7 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Presumably all-out attack has to be the plan? Since our strengths seem to be the forwards and AMs rather than defence.

Could be an interesting juxtaposition with Southgates natural caution.

We should definitely be on the ‘we’re gonna score one more than you’ tactic. Could be fun. But I don’t think Southgate will do it. 

On 22/05/2024 at 08:39, Ghost of Clough said:

It won't be far off something like this...

Euro squad: Pickford, Ramsdale, Henderson, Alexander-Arnold, Walker, Shaw, Trippier, Stones, Maguire, Gomez, Guehi, Rice, Gallagher, Bellingham, Mainoo, Wharton, Foden, Palmer, Maddison, Grealish, Saka, Bowen, Gordon, Eze, Kane, Watkins

Not a bad guess in the end

Dunk in for Maguire was the obvious choice considering Maguire is still injured. Guehi will probably start alongside Stones, so an experienced leader and someone who knows the squad well is preferred as a backup over Branthwaite.

Considering the fitness of Shaw, it seems logical to take an extra defender who can fill in at LB (if Trippier also becomes unavailable or needs a rest), hence Konsa's inclusion. Maddison's lack of form since his mid-season injury and several other AMs in the squad (all played consistently well last season) made him the easy one to drop.

Grealish can feel hard done by. However, taking just 2 CFs would have been a big risk, so we needed to drop another of the 'AMs' to squeeze Toney in. Foden and Eze have both been better on the left than Grealish this season, whilst Gordon also offers a greater goal threat

6 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

We should definitely be on the ‘we’re gonna score one more than you’ tactic. Could be fun. But I don’t think Southgate will do it. 

We have quite a tricky group and the most important part about the group stage is not losing. One loss puts you in a very precious position.

So I expect some boring and disciplined games from England to begin with, which will no doubt get lots of complaints from fans, but Southgate is a past master at this part of tournament play. Don't think he has ever failed to get England out of their group.

5 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

We have quite a tricky group and the most important part about the group stage is not losing. One loss puts you in a very precious position.

So I expect some boring and disciplined games from England to begin with, which will no doubt get lots of complaints from fans, but Southgate is a past master at this part of tournament play. Don't think he has ever failed to get England out of their group.

Failing to get out of the group is usually a national calamity and doesn't happen often.

41 minutes ago, Srg said:

Too many players want it just to feet. And this back line is turgid. 

I thought Stones used to be quite a pacey cb. Now he seems to think he's beckenbauer and stands for what seems ages rolling the ball under his feet whilst pointing...

7 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Good effort by your boys. My head was in my hands when Iceland broke away 2nd half and crossed it as I was convinced it was 2-0 until the guy slipped.....

Thank you and good luck to England going forward, this loss may help iron out some issues that need attention.

Yep, that was close and to be fair England had a penalty shout.

It's a new generation of players and they're getting stronger as they go, just missed out on the Euro's this time.

1 minute ago, ramit said:

Thank you and good luck to England going forward, this loss may help iron out some issues that need attention.

Yep, that was close and to be fair England had a penalty shout.

It's a new generation of players and they're getting stronger as they go, just missed out on the Euro's this time.

I cheer for England, but quite happy to appreciate good football and effort from our opponents. Good luck for the future to Iceland,  played well.

11 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

I think there is more chance of Derby been champions in next seasons Championship than Southgate winning anything with England 

If England were priced at 33/1, like our beloved Rams are currently, the layers would be crushed in the stampede 😂