Punching above our weight. What do you think would elevate us above mid table next season?

12 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Derby have broke the British transfer record on about 6 occasions . Three times in the 90's.  Winning the Europa league is the Papa Johns of European football.  Every  failure from every European competition plus the team that has the brightest underpants plays for it.Whatever way you cut, no one over the age of 25 will give a s*** about Villereal as they were a 3/4/5 division team for over 50 years.  There are a lot more people over 25 than not.

British transfer record when the game was largely domestic. I don't deny Derby that were a big club.

But as soon as football became global, and broadcasted all over the world, Derby got left behind and once smaller clubs like Villarreal have overtaken Derby in global reputation, standing in the game and popularity.

Derby are a well supported club. They may even have more regional fans than Villarreal. If that is your metric for club size then I'm not going to argue with it.

Large regional support unfortunately counts for very little in today's game and top players aren't going to choose Derby over Villarreal anytime soon. 

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Large regional support unfortunately counts for very little in today's game and top players aren't going to choose Derby over Villarreal anytime soon. 

Oh dear, that's a set-back. Do you reckon it could have anything to with the fact that they're in the Spanish top division, while we're in the English second-tier?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

British transfer record when the game was largely domestic. I don't deny Derby that were a big club.

But as soon as football became global, and broadcasted all over the world, Derby got left behind and once smaller clubs like Villarreal have overtaken Derby in global reputation, standing in the game and popularity.

Derby are a well supported club. They may even have more regional fans than Villarreal. If that is your metric for club size then I'm not going to argue with it.

Before the Carlisle match my niece was over from Ireland.  Brought her down to the club shop and got her a load of stuff.  Outside a chap asked if she would like a picture with Rammie by the pitch .  Had a chat with him and he was a supporter liaison.  Showed me photos taken that week of a two coachloads of people from Dublin and Wexford, some blokes from Australia, a couple of Americans, some Croatians and a load of Norwegians all in Derby shirts.    

If I was betting, there would be more followers of Derby around the world than Villareal.

Neither Derby or Villareal will be global brands.  I doubt very much that kids in the Far East will be that interested in an 8th place La Liga team. That moniker relates to Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool, Munich.  Leverkusen went about 50 games unbeaten.  I guarantee this will not make them a global brand.  Look at the Villareal pre season games - St Gallen, Rheindorf Altac , Hannover.  That isn't screaming far east tour as demand too see them is huge. 

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

I think we're all underrating "being better at being a Paul warne team" as a factor.

Yes, there's going to be a decent amount of turnover in the squad, but the players coming in are going to be better and hopefully better fit for the culture we're trying to build.

58 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think we're all underrating "being better at being a Paul warne team" as a factor.

Yes, there's going to be a decent amount of turnover in the squad, but the players coming in are going to be better and hopefully better fit for the culture we're trying to build.

Or perhaps some aren't rating that very highly at all? 

On 27/05/2024 at 07:32, Mucker1884 said:

A quick check* shows Wendies have just averaged c. 26,700 in The Championship.  
In 22/23, it was c. 25,600, admittedly in L1.

21/22 = c. 22,900 in L1
20/21 = N/A
19/20 = c. 23,700 in The Champs.

I then considered checking to see when they last averaged your "30k plus", but I feared that may waste a good chunk of my Bank Holiday Monday, and let's face it, I've already made a point with the above info.

*Stats taken from here...
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/attendances/2019-2020

Since 2008/9 all non premier league seasons for all three clubs:

image.png.cc732621da515cfc301dbe775b3a10d1.png

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Before the Carlisle match my niece was over from Ireland.  Brought her down to the club shop and got her a load of stuff.  Outside a chap asked if she would like a picture with Rammie by the pitch .  Had a chat with him and he was a supporter liaison.  Showed me photos taken that week of a two coachloads of people from Dublin and Wexford, some blokes from Australia, a couple of Americans, some Croatians and a load of Norwegians all in Derby shirts.    

If I was betting, there would be more followers of Derby around the world than Villareal.

Neither Derby or Villareal will be global brands.  I doubt very much that kids in the Far East will be that interested in an 8th place La Liga team. That moniker relates to Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool, Munich.  Leverkusen went about 50 games unbeaten.  I guarantee this will not make them a global brand.  Look at the Villareal pre season games - St Gallen, Rheindorf Altac , Hannover.  That isn't screaming far east tour as demand too see them is huge. 

Countries follow their star players. In Mexico they regularly have updates on Feyenoord because of Santiago Gimenez.

They will absolutely cover Villarreal.

They won’t cover Derby as we haven’t had any international players since the days of Stimac and Paolo Wanchope. 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Countries follow their star players. In Mexico they regularly have updates on Feyenoord because of Santiago Gimenez.

They will absolutely cover Villarreal.

They won’t cover Derby as we haven’t had any international players since the days of Stimac and Paolo Wanchope. 

None.  We've had loads. Even when we crap we had Kazim-Richards who played for Turkey and had a huge following in Brazil and Mexico.  I'd leave it here mate.😂

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I now ignore historical achievements, matchday attendances, size of the wider fanbase and overall potential.

My true judgement on what constitutes a big club is whether Mexican Football Monthly magazine has mentioned the club in the last year or so.

I said it’s global reputation. Teams like Villarreal have one because they play in Europe’s elite competition and have elite players.

It’s not that difficult to understand is it?

The wider fanbase goes hand in hand with global reputation and elite stars playing for them.

Real Madrid have a legion of Mexican followers because of Hugo Sanchez.

I don’t see Derby having a legion of followers because of Bradley Johnson…

Edited by Bris Vegas

I think the popularity and wider reaching audience of the English game is a massive factor for global reputation. I have had the joys of going to Egypt and Saudi amongst other countries over the past 18 months. Football is often on the TV, however more often than not it's the English game, be it PL or below.

I mention those countries, as both were times when Derby were on and on both occasions they were being shown, other games were going on at the same time from other countries, however they were relegated to the smaller screen. In Egypt, it was also noticeable that there was also another Rams fan, from Russia, that's all I could get, oh and vodka neat only 🤣

Who is bigger between Villarreal though, haven't got a clue 😊

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

I now ignore historical achievements, matchday attendances, size of the wider fanbase and overall potential.

My true judgement on what constitutes a big club is whether Mexican Football Monthly magazine has mentioned the club in the last year or so.

I hear Nathaniel Mendez Laing is huge in Guatemala 😳

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Can we stop going on about bloody Villareal yet?

Angry Dan Levy GIF by Schitt's Creek

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I said it’s global reputation. Teams like Villarreal have one because they play in Europe’s elite competition and have elite players.

It’s not that difficult to understand is it?

The wider fanbase goes hand in hand with global reputation and elite stars playing for them.

Real Madrid have a legion of Mexican followers because of Hugo Sanchez.

I don’t see Derby having a legion of followers because of Bradley Johnson…

That’ll be no.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

....we haven’t had any international players since the days of Stimac and Paolo Wanchope

Fornah - Sierra Leone
Hourihane - Rep. of Ireland
Elder - Australia
Forsyth - Scotland
Collins - Rep. of Ireland
Adams - Gambia
Mendez-Laing - Guatemala
Nyambe - Namibia

There's probably more that I've missed, but how could a self-professed football expert not know that on occasions as recently as a few months back, more than half of our starting 11 were current, or ex-internationals?

I know Mexico has it's issues, but surely a 25 year internet outage isn't one of them!

5 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Fornah - Sierra Leone
Hourihane - Rep. of Ireland
Elder - Australia
Forsyth - Scotland
Collins - Rep. of Ireland
Adams - Gambia
Mendez-Laing - Guatemala
Nyambe - Namibia

There's probably more that I've missed, but how could a self-professed football expert not know that on occasions as recently as a few months back, more than half of our starting 11 were current, or ex-internationals?

I know Mexico has it's issues, but surely a 25 year internet outage isn't one of them!

Wayne Rooney England , I know whilst not playing for us but very high profile and world wide known