Eurovision 2024

7 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I wrestle with this complex issue, as it's just as much an individual's right to choose to make a stand and boycott something as a way of expressing their feelings in a world where we feel increasingly powerless about what our governments do.

Plenty of athletes boycotted the 1936 Berlin Olympics, but then plenty also went along to compete and shook hands with Hitler and did Nazi Salutes. In hindsight - who do we respect more?

So I think I am OK with people choosing not to go/watch/be involved, but it doesn't seem OK to boo and intimidate a young girl just because of her nationality. She is just as powerless to change anything as the rest of us. The direction of protests at her seems pretty shameful

The demand here was that Israel be removed from the competition this year, the call to withdraw participation came because that demand was not met.

It is up to individuals whether to take part in any social activity, but the reasoning matters.  To say, if I don't get my way, then I won't play is childishly overbearing.

9 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

FFS lads -it's just a song contest

It used to be ☺️

Just for the record...I didn't watch but can't help reading the news about it...so here's my 10 bobs worth.

The UK mostly this last decade or so were voted to finish bottom...why...because those who voted or didn't vote used the vote as a stick to beat us with...imo 🙄

Now it's a vehicle for those who have an agenda against anything that will get in the media, The EU are now complaining as to why the EU flag wasn't used...so I read.

They come out like a Puppet on a string with a boom bang a bang so save your kisses for me after making your mind up 😁 

12 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Apparently the viewing figures were down 23% on last year. Not a surprise to me. 

Last year the programme was live from the UK with a raft of UK presenters so of course the ratings were way higher. The year before we had our only decent entry for a decade and a good chance of winning (and would have without a Europe wide Ukraine sympathy vote).

This year the viewing figures reverted to their normal level. And were high given the paucity of good songs. In 2021 it was 7.4m, this year it was 7.6m. No contest in 2020, but 6.9m in 2019.

Can I ask who is moderating this thread and why a post that was in no way offensive , abusive , personal or had any bad language but simply corrected a post that totally mis quoted something I said has been removed?

if it’s an echo chamber thing then please say so then at least some of us can stop bothering to read this stuff ,,, it’s a serious question and would appreciate a decent fair answer as someone who buys into this forum and bothers to get involved in all areas including football 

I realy like Eurovision. Unfortunately this year, we were round at some friends who had a big TV but with terrible tinny speakers, so I didn't have the normal viewing experience.

Anyway, not that anyone asked for them but here are my thoughts:

• The best songs finished at the top, on the whole. No complaints.
  • Political voting (friendly countries voting for each other) isn't anywhere near as prolific as it used to be, despite what the haters say - many of whom will slag it off and then say they haven't seen it for years.
  • Our song didn't deserve to do any better than it did. I thought it might be in the top half but hated the staging. I'm really no prude but the  comedy cod-piece thrusting looked like a parody of a strip club. Embarrasing and cringey, and would have turned a lot of viewers off IMO. The whole zero gravity effect thing never once looked convincing. Ollie's performance was OK but no better than that & way behind that of Switzerland, whose staging was far simpler (their gimmick worked) but a lot more effective.
  • I've just heard Richard Osman (The rest is entertainment podcast) give a very good explanation of the massive Israel public vote - basically that even if the public were a lot more sympathetic to Gaza than to Israel on average, pro-Israel votes will only go to Israel. Anti-Israel votes can go to any one of 24 countries, so that was always going to happen if people are going to take the war into account.

13 hours ago, Archied said:

Can I ask who is moderating this thread and why a post that was in no way offensive , abusive , personal or had any bad language but simply corrected a post that totally mis quoted something I said has been removed?

if it’s an echo chamber thing then please say so then at least some of us can stop bothering to read this stuff ,,, it’s a serious question and would appreciate a decent fair answer as someone who buys into this forum and bothers to get involved in all areas including football 

Was it political in any way?
That's against the rules too, but you've not included it in your list?

Just a thought, not an accusation, as I didn't see it.  🍻

7 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Was it political in any way?
That's against the rules too, but you've not included it in your list?

Just a thought, not an accusation, as I didn't see it.  🍻

No , wasn’t in anyway political, certainly if put with the posts here and on the Palestine thread it just pointed out that it was totally unfair to attribute something to me that I clearly didn’t say just one page before and asked the poster to read the post again  , I honestly don’t get it and would like to know what was wrong with the post ,as if it is simply to stand you ground and disagree in a polite manner is not to be tolerated then be clear and some of us can just not bother reading this stuff🤷🏻‍♂️

i dont mean this in a offensive way at all but it seemed our goal was just to out camp the other countries? It made the village people look straight. The singer was rubbish , the song was total crap. im very surprised 5 guys dancing in their pants didn't get us the win 🤣

44 minutes ago, BatRam said:

i dont mean this in a offensive way at all but it seemed our goal was just to out camp the other countries? It made the village people look straight. The singer was rubbish , the song was total crap. im very surprised 5 guys dancing in their pants didn't get us the win 🤣

I think it’s generally agreed that the competition is pretty camp and is a celebration of diversity.

I was surprised how weak the song was, given that Olly A has been around for a while.

Next year we’ll have a singing chihuahua in a tutu and we’ll sweep up.

18 hours ago, Archied said:

Was it on topic, anything to do with the eurovision song contest? 

5 hours ago, BatRam said:

@i-Ram called it. If they'd danced in lacey g-strings we would have been in with a shout👍

32 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

@i-Ram called it. If they'd danced in lacey g-strings we would have been in with a shout👍

Really it’s a pride event now , that’s probably what’s kept a stale dying old contest alive , fair play if you enjoy it and millions do 🤷🏻‍♂️

50 minutes ago, Archied said:

Really it’s a pride event now , that’s probably what’s kept a stale dying old contest alive , fair play if you enjoy it and millions do 🤷🏻‍♂️

Still enough in it to keep us old goats interested.

Who can forget the Polish milkmaids from a few years ago.......

28 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Still enough in it to keep us old goats interested.

Who can forget the Polish milkmaids from a few years ago.......

I missed this?!? 

I'm often a big fan of the more eastern Europe female performances. 

Was Ireland good or just weird? Or both?

On 13/05/2024 at 22:22, Archied said:

Stive will be moderating it, we all know that. Who deleted it is unknown to me.