Eurovision 2024

Ah, a bit of annual light hearted relief. It's the annual kitsch camp-fest that is Eurovision.

It's the semis......so far, I've been thrilled by the Finnish guy in denim hot pants waving 2 massive sparklers,  a shrieking Irish wicca girl and various flexible young ladies bouncing around to electro pop beats.

Wouldn't miss it, me. Junior has also got the bug. I quite like not having to think for a couple of hours......

I don't mind a bit of Eurovision. 

It is all the things that people who dislike it say it is. I think that's why it's so popular

Camp, political, hilariously bad at times and makes you cringe. Definitely watching 

6 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Didn’t I vote about 8 years ago to avoid this trash? That’s what Boris told me when he knocked on my door.

C'mon i-ram, it's just a bit of escapism. Something other than Paul Warnes tactical masterclasses for us plastics to fulminate over from the sanctity of our middle class wingback armchairs......😉

Love Eurovision, but it's actually too well put together now and you have performances by people who've been around for years and been very popular.  You also know who's gonna win as the songs are streamed 24-7 for months before.  It's lost the fun amatuer element.  I'll be watching though.

Eurovision has risen in popularity over the years. Millions of people like it across many countries. It’s not my cup of tea but if it brings joy to that many people, I can’t see how it’s a bad thing.

Light hearted relief,,, isn’t the girl who is representing Israel being booed and worse ? Calls for Israel to be thrown out , let alone the last two British entrants who seem to have a problem with Britain or its flag , votes cast on a political basis rather than the songs merit ,

not seeing much escapism from the daily grind of politics and culture wars ,, wouldn’t it be nice if it was was a proper contest where people came together under the banner of music to celebrate just being people enjoying themselves in music for a brief spell , it might have some value then🤷🏻‍♂️

27 minutes ago, Archied said:

Light hearted relief,,, isn’t the girl who is representing Israel being booed and worse ? Calls for Israel to be thrown out , let alone the last two British entrants who seem to have a problem with Britain or its flag , votes cast on a political basis rather than the songs merit ,

not seeing much escapism from the daily grind of politics and culture wars ,, wouldn’t it be nice if it was was a proper contest where people came together under the banner of music to celebrate just being people enjoying themselves in music for a brief spell , it might have some value then🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't know if it's changed completely but her song was called October Rains and made references to the conflict. 

To be honest I don't care what she sings or whether she's booed or not. 

It's always been political yet every year people are surprised and outraged. At least a Russian gets to compete this year. 

2 hours ago, Alph said:

I don't know if it's changed completely but her song was called October Rains and made references to the conflict. 

To be honest I don't care what she sings or whether she's booed or not. 

It's always been political yet every year people are surprised and outraged. At least a Russian gets to compete this year. 

Yep and the Irish had to change costumes because it said free Palestine or some such in old Irish script ,,, not taking sides , just noting it’s not light relief as stated😂

53 minutes ago, Archied said:

Yep and the Irish had to change costumes because it said free Palestine or some such in old Irish script ,,, not taking sides , just noting it’s not light relief as stated😂

I ignore all that. My Mrs gets annoyed the UK never gets votes but it's never going to change. 

Although I'd have thought this year the UK might do ok by UK standards. Which probably means half way up the second column 

8 minutes ago, Alph said:

I ignore all that. My Mrs gets annoyed the UK never gets votes but it's never going to change. 

Although I'd have thought this year the UK might do ok by UK standards. Which probably means half way up the second column 

It does when we have a decent song and performer (that Sam whatsisname who should have won when Ukraine did). An average pop song with an average performance from somwone you've never heard of just won't cut it.

Last year was a decent pop tune but an awful live performance.

I expect us to be in the top half this year but don't think the song is memorable enough to do really well.