Pre season

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Behave you drama queen 😂 

‘an embarrassment’ never seen owt like it haha in our recent history we’ve literally had players crash and leave their captain in the car and run off but some fella with less than 500 minutes for us is the embarrassment. 

Honestly there’s always a clamour for us to do a Brentford etc but we’ll never manage it with fans like this that write someone off at the drop of a hat. 500 minutes. 

If you still feel that he’s underperformed at the end of this season with loads of minutes under his belt then fair enough but he still wouldn’t be ‘an embarrassment’

Ifs and buts mate - meanwhile so far the evidence is there to judge  him as a waste of time. 

Edited by Magicman

9 hours ago, Nyderby said:

🙄yes they can be in danger of relegation. Danger isn't actual relegation 

So what do you define as early on? The first 10-12 games? With 34 games or so remaining, even if a team is half a dozen points adrift, it’s too early to say they’re in danger of relegation. In danger of relegation is when you’re beginning to run out of games with which to make up the gap to safety.

Purely semantics really and I understand your point about PW being let go if we have a very bad start.

Feeling increasingly out of kilter with some fans on here. I thought last night's game was a decent run out between two fair sides. Lots of errors, but some good football at times too and a big step forward from the last couple of games, despite a sloppy defensive set that saw us conceding too many soft goals.

The 3 standouts for me were Ozoh, who looks a seriously talented lad to me and can be huge for us this season. Goudmijn looks pure class and if the numbers quoted are correct, he's an absolute steal at the price paid. Lastly, Yates looks certain to score goals to my eye, especially with better service and a tad more luck.

The negatives for me were mainly seen among our typically more consistent players and our defence specifically, who still looked heavy legged to me last night. Matt Hamshaw did warn us that it might be up to 10 days before some found their legs coming back to them and whilst most looked a deal sharper than of late, a few did not.

Much still to work on then, but I actually enjoyed the game as a spectacle, despite it being somewhat error-strewn and I'd wager we'll see another step up against Real Valladolid on Saturday, who are levels above the sides we've faced this pre-season and will provide a severe test for our lads. With another month of the window still remaining, I'd imagine we'll also see a rather different and significantly stronger starting 11 down the line, but we may need to accept that with so many ins and outs, we may need a little time to settle.

A few remarks on last night:

I think CBT did his hamstring as they scored their 3rd (?) Tried to cover run but couldn’t make it due to injury.

Cashin didn’t look comfortable playing on right of defence in absences of Nelson. Couldn’t use his range of passing as much and positioning was awry. 

our movement was much, much better. We could have scored 6 or 7, but final pass just off or ball nicked away. Good to see ML get off the mark and took his goals really well.

Our midfield was far more mobile than last year. Ozoh impressive. Adams and Ozoh got in each others way at times - will improve as they get to know each other. Need to win ball and give it Kenzo.

Need to find a way to get the ball to Kenzo more. Times when ball was channelled to Wilson, who usually just drives forward, head down, rather than giving easy pass inside to Kenzo.

Worried about number of bookings we may pick up. Could have had 7/8 last night in Champ match ( or may not have committed them when ref not so lenient) will need both Adams and Ozoh as one or both will get suspended during season.

obviously disappointed with goalkeepers so far. This area has to improve. The goals we are shipping are really poor so far. Fly the new guy in ASAP and hopefully a week of training with the team will be enough to start on Friday night.

Barks made his 1st meaningful contribution of the season last night. IMO hasn’t looked too interested so far. Last night he looked sharp and created some really good chances.

Much better performance last night, apart from the goals conceded. We just need to improve every area 10% - 1st touch, precision, weight of pass, crossing, throw ins etc

Not all doom and gloom!

Was there last night , not as bad as the usual hysterical posters on here would have you believe , Derby put themselves about while playing some good controlled football, the aim of pre season is fitness first and foremost , bed in new players , work on different tactics and formations , results mean nothing at this stage , Warne knows where the work needs to be done both formation and signings wise , let the guy get on with it 

Oh and btw the calling out of certain individuals ie Vickers , Cash , CBT is neither helpful or warranted , I expect better of Derby County supporters

7 hours ago, S8TY said:

Hope Cashin improves his performances when the real stuff begins 

I am worried about him and just hope he doesn’t get rinsed in the championship and we end up with a player who we could’ve got some decent money for  sometimes it’s best to sell players when the time is right 

Cashin has to improve on the last few games if he is to be a championship asset we looked dreadful at the back tonight without Nelson 

Anyone who was expecting the Cashin fee to bankroll our rise to the Prem had better think again . He is looking like a Half £Mill player at the moment . After 2 years of third tier football he will have to improve sharpish to bring any bids in .

Here’s the rams daily podcast link if anyone wants to listen to the post match chat and analysis;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0jfrxbb?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

@Eoghan1884 has summarised some bits in other threads so I’m duplicating a little here but for those who can’t/won’t/don’t want to listen;

- Washington played for the u21s earlier in the day to continue his recovery

- Joe Ward woke with a swollen knee so they didn’t want to risk him.

- Nelson’s whole family have been ill and he then has it too, probably a sickness bug or something at a guess.

- Warne was asked by Dom about 3/5 or 4 at the back and said while he has preferred a 3/5 he thinks the players we have in the squad better suit a 4-3-3 but we will use other formations at times.

- Warne spoke about how going forward it was more like what he wants to see but there were times we could have used the midfield more and didn’t so they’ll watch that back and work on it.

- said words along the lines of he wants the team to be defensively resolute but that wasn’t the case last night (which we all saw).

- mentioned CBT felt his quad pretty much as soon as he went on the pitch which likely contributed to his lack of performance for the few minutes he was on, no idea of the timeframe for recovery yet.

- Darren Robinson was chatting with Dom and said he thinks the greater mobility in the side was obvious to see last night and is an improvement (something I agree with).

- said some bits about transfers which have been put in the rumours thread. Was coy about JWZ. Said other things are ongoing but nothing to share yet. 

Think that’s what I can recall.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

11 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

All 3 of our goals were well worked & the result of decent play. All 4 of theirs were due to either Vickers & Cashin.

Hopefully we have our new keeper & Nelson in for Blackburn and Cashin can get his shocking performances out the way now.

I found it worrying that their 18 year old winger Jalo ran us ragged last night, when he came on 

20 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Anyone who was expecting the Cashin fee to bankroll our rise to the Prem had better think again . He is looking like a Half £Mill player at the moment . After 2 years of third tier football he will have to improve sharpish to bring any bids in .

He definitely looks bigger.

Too much gym work perhaps?

Definitely not sharp and he was in no man’s land for that last goal.

He’ll be MOM v Blackburn.

4 minutes ago, eddy779h34 said:

I found it worrying that their 18 year old winger Jalo ran us ragged last night, when he came on 

I'm worried about the implications of the numbers and letter at the end of your username. Are you an Android?

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

He definitely looks bigger.

Too much gym work perhaps?

Definitely not sharp and he was in no man’s land for that last goal.

He’ll be MOM v Blackburn.

I remember Miles Addison being similar - broke through and was expected to do great things after his first season - next season he'd massively bulked up having obviously spent too much time in the gym - he lost his mobility and sharpness/turn of pace. Was never the same player afterwards - hope someone has a word with Cash and can keep him away from the weights...

49 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

- Warne was asked by Dom about 3/5 or 4 at the back and said while he has preferred a 3/5 he thinks the players we have in the squad better suit a 4-3-3 but we will use other formations at times.

The context (to me) suggests we'll play 3 at the back most games, with 4 at the back against the sides which aren't as good offensively. 3421 and 4231 likely the main formations.

1 hour ago, Magicman said:

Ifs and buts mate - meanwhile so far the evidence is there to judge  him as a waste of time. 

500 minutes ffs what were you like when we signed Stevie Howard and he had a slow start? 

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The context (to me) suggests we'll play 3 at the back most games, with 4 at the back against the sides which aren't as good offensively. 3421 and 4231 likely the main formations.

I hope you’re wide of the mark here. He’s acknowledged the squad is more suited to 433. Would take an idiot to not play what the squad is most suited to, which I don’t believe Warne is. 

It has to be a midfield 3 with the amount of central midfielders we have especially with Warne wanting another. That means the options are 352 or 433. We simply don’t have the attacking options for 352. 

Id like to see 433 with Nyambe utilised for tough games and away games and Wilson utilised for those where we can be expected to go and have some joy. 

Slow opening to both halves which is, unfortunately, consistent with the rest of the pre season games so far. Unlucky with their 1st to an extent, CH had a go 25 out, slight deflection off Cashin but Vickers dived late. Some very good link up play and passing moves falling down at the sharp end with either the wrong pass, the attacker looking to play a pass when a shot was on or simply not shooting at all. Well worked goal by NML. 1-1 at HT. Good goal to go 2-1 up and we looked on top. Then came the mass changes on the hour mark. Still some good moves going forward but the old failure to clear our lines crept in and they got an equaliser. Cracking break for Collo's goal to go 3-2 up.   We weren't helped by CBT going off injured and from that moment we got pushed back. Again shoddy at the back for 3-3 and the 3-4. Conclusion, the starting XI looks OK provided we can get them going from the off. The bench players are all OK BUT as subs, not as the core of the side. Vickers will need to look at his part in 3 of their 4 goals. I was surprised we played 433 but pleased about it as we have 3 wingers in the squad, are said to be after a 4th and none of them are wing backs which they'd need to be if we kept playing 3 at the back. Hopefully Nelson is over his illness come Saturday and can start alongside Cashin at CD. That one change gives us, at 433 anyway, our best XI at the moment. That will change between now and the end of August with between 4 and 6 new players in and some going out, either on loan, sold or let go. Still not the finished article but there was enough there to think we won't get relegated, which is the top priority this season. Anything better than that is a bonus.

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I hope you’re wide of the mark here. He’s acknowledged the squad is more suited to 433. Would take an idiot to not play what the squad is most suited to, which I don’t believe Warne is. 

It has to be a midfield 3 with the amount of central midfielders we have especially with Warne wanting another. That means the options are 352 or 433. We simply don’t have the attacking options for 352. 

Id like to see 433 with Nyambe utilised for tough games and away games and Wilson utilised for those where we can be expected to go and have some joy. 

On signings, Warne's stated he wants to sign a 9, a 10/8 and a pacey CB. We're rumoured to be after a LB/LWB too. Given those intended additions, it adds up to a 3 at the back. What the current squad looks like and is best suited to is different to what Warne wants it to look like in September and what the squad at that point is best suited to.

"It has to be a midfield 3 ith the amount of central midfielders we have" is also counted by "It has to be a defensive 3 with the amount of central defenders we will have".
"That means the options are 352" also doesn't make use of any of our wingers (including captain), unless played out of position at wing back or CF. Meanwhile "or 433" doesn't even stack up as we lined up with 4231 last night and we don't have any AMs. Goudmijn was played further forward than his best position for the first 60, followed by Collins being brought on to play as the 10.

All evidence points towards 3421 and 4231 as the main formations.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

On signings, Warne's stated he wants to sign a 9, a 10/8 and a pacey CB. We're rumoured to be after a LB/LWB too. Given those intended additions, it adds up to a 3 at the back. What the current squad looks like and is best suited to is different to what Warne wants it to look like in September and what the squad at that point is best suited to.

"It has to be a midfield 3 ith the amount of central midfielders we have" is also counted by "It has to be a defensive 3 with the amount of central defenders we will have".
"That means the options are 352" also doesn't make use of any of our wingers (including captain), unless played out of position at wing back or CF. Meanwhile "or 433" doesn't even stack up as we lined up with 4231 last night and we don't have any AMs. Goudmijn was played further forward than his best position for the first 60, followed by Collins being brought on to play as the 10.

All evidence points towards 3421 and 4231 as the main formations.

Really? We have way more central midfielders than central defenders.