Games That Aren't Talked About Enough

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Was that a League Cup replay? I remember going to Goodison for a cup match Everton v Derby long before I became a Rams fan and was amazed by the noise made by the visiting fans.

Was that 1968 after we had beaten Chelsea in the previous round?

0-0 and we beat them 1-0 back at the BBG

I remember they gave us bean bag type cushions to sit on and we all threw them on to the Everton pitch at the end of the game.

I remember Dave Mackay taking one of their players out with a shove of his chest.  I think it was either Kendall or Royle but not sure.

How Dave wasn't sent off I don't know lol

Edited by oldtimeram

2 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Yes I do remember that. Steve Cross came on like a man possessed even though the game was lost. I don’t remember the <killer> whale though. 

Orca-ward

29 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

0-0 and we beat them 1-0 back at the BBG

I was playing football on the street just over a mile away from the Baseball Ground when the replay was on and heard the noise when the winning goal was scored, as I had when we beat Chelsea 3-1 in the previous round.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Nowhere near the top of the list, but Chris Martin's late equaliser at Elland Road under Cocu was brilliant. Kickstarted his second coming, which many hoped for but few expected.

I think that also kickstarted something else though. Just a few beers right?

1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

Beating Darlington 5-4 in the League Cup.....1967  I think?

I was stood on the Normanton Terrace.  Reg Matthews sneaking a puff of his cigarette whenever he got the chance lol

Reg got injured during that game. Solly went in goal during the second half.

I seem to recall that Alan Durban scored a couple, but it was a long time ago so my memory perhaps can't be trusted too much.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Reg got injured during that game. Solly went in goal during the second half.

I seem to recall that Alan Durban scored a couple, but it was a long time ago so my memory perhaps can't be trusted too much.

I agree it was a long time ago.  I remember O'Hare playing in goal, but I couldn't remember it being that game.

7 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Beating Darlington 5-4 in the League Cup.....1967  I think?

I was stood on the Normanton Terrace.  Reg Matthews sneaking a puff of his cigarette whenever he got the chance lol

Would loved to have seen him having a smoke during the match.

8 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The Rowett team’s play off home leg win against Fulham under Rowett. Was a proper atmosphere under the lights, and a big result.

Curtis Davies an absolute rock that night. Pocketed Mitrovic.

We were the only team Mitrovic didn't score against that season, if memory serves?

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I can remember that season, and know that the Bald Eagle had talked with Emmanuel Petit and David Ginola! What a team that would have been - we'd haave plyed everybody like the last 20 minutes of that Southampton game! But we didn't have the pennies! 

Mac leaving did not help but good shout on that 4-0 result. Another one was 4-1 v Forest in 79 when they were Euro holders. For some reason Match of the Day had the highlights and it was not part of the matches advertised as being covered (just 2 in those days).

Edited by TimRam

Surprised that the 4-4 vs Ipswich at home just after Clough got sacked hasn't been mentioned. Even before Mac's HT intervention I remember my dad saying that he thought we were still in it.

Slightly further back - Newcastle at home 2009/10. They were on a 15 game unbeaten run and ended the season with 102(!!) points, whilst we were looking nervously over our shoulder at the other end of the table at the time.

26 minutes ago, loughboroughRAM said:

Surprised that the 4-4 vs Ipswich at home just after Clough got sacked hasn't been mentioned. Even before Mac's HT intervention I remember my dad saying that he thought we were still in it.

Slightly further back - Newcastle at home 2009/10. They were on a 15 game unbeaten run and ended the season with 102(!!) points, whilst we were looking nervously over our shoulder at the other end of the table at the time.

One thing about Clough is you knew he’d get us right up for games like that Newcastle one. See also the voodoo we had over Forest and Leeds at the time.

Remember a 2-1 win away at Leeds when Bucko scored a last minute winner. Think we had a penalty which Sammon took for some reason and he even managed to mishit that, but Coutts scored the rebound.

Think there was another away win there which I’m certain was in the league but for some reason was live on BBC, in the Bueno season, but before he’d arrived. Possibly the first game of the season.