Prediction for how it will end

On 25/03/2024 at 13:46, simmoram1995 said:

I’ve been thinking about this, this is how I’d imagine the table  ( top 6) will look like.

I’ve predicted  ( very conservative and negative mind you) that we will gain 11 from 18 , Bolton 12 from 21 , Portsmouth 17 from 21 , Peterborough  15  from 24  and Barnsley 17 from 24. Plus I think Lincoln will get 6th with 12 from 21 

Portsmouth 100 points 

Derby 89 points 

Barnsley 88 points 

Peterborough 86 points 

Bolton 86 points 

Lincoln 73 points

what’s everyone else’s opinion? 

Happy with that 

I'm looking at the points target for 2nd being 90.

Derby need 3 wins from 5.

Bolton need 5 wins from 6.

Peterborough and Barnsley need 6 wins from 7.

Bolton playing Peterborough on the final day. Peterborough have got 8 matches due to their cup final. Barnsley have also got Portsmouth on their run in. I can't see how Derby can throw this one away. We'd have to go on a real stinker of a run. With the defensive resilience in the team, I think we'll fight over the line, 1-0 all the way 😎

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Happy with that 

Only make it by 1 point? A bit too squeaky bum for me. I assume @simmoram1995’s predictor has us beating Carlisle on the last day. It may pan out that way and we ought to beat them (but so should Posh have yesterday). It would make for exciting end to the season for the neutrals but going into the last game with it being so close is a scary thought.

I know it’s a fools game predicting results just to make it look good (in fact, yesterday’s results proves predicting any kind of results is of little real value) but my fairly conservative predictor (I’ve explained my flawed rationale previously) now has us finishing 4 points ahead of Barnsley and comfortably short of Pompey but not by 11 points.

15 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Only make it by 1 point? A bit too squeaky bum for me. I assume @simmoram1995’s predictor has us beating Carlisle on the last day. It may pan out that way and we ought to beat them (but so should Posh have yesterday). It would make for exciting end to the season for the neutrals but going into the last game with it being so close is a scary thought.

I know it’s a fools game predicting results just to make it look good (in fact, yesterday’s results proves predicting any kind of results is of little real value) but my fairly conservative predictor (I’ve explained my flawed rationale previously) now has us finishing 4 points ahead of Barnsley and comfortably short of Pompey but not by 11 points.

Yeah I had the following:

Blackpool W

Portsmouth D

Wycombe L

Orient W

Cambridge D

Carlisle W

But that’s being negative personally I think 

Blackpool W
Portsmouth D

Wycombe D

Orient W

Cambridge W

Carlisle W

27 minutes ago, SSD said:

Bolton playing Peterborough on the final day. Peterborough have got 8 matches due to their cup final. Barnsley have also got Portsmouth on their run in. I can't see how Derby can throw this one away. We'd have to go on a real stinker of a run. With the defensive resilience in the team, I think we'll fight over the line, 1-0 all the way 😎

I think the only pessimistic view you can take on Bolton’s run in is that Bristol look on the beach. Pompey could be all but up by the time they play them and posh might have nothing to play for. 

90 points will be enough with a hard earned draw on Tuesday being a real bonus.

40 minutes ago, SSD said:

After Tuesday our fixtures look pretty kind as well! I’m pretty confident now!

We are claiming that our goal difference is worth an extra point, but it's a lot closer than people think. For teams to catch us up on points, they'll have to win games and improve their goal difference whilst we lost or draw games. Assuming only 1 goal wins or defeats, then the difference to Bolton will be a maximum of 4 and Peterborough will be 5. However, you would expect at least one of those games to be by 2 or 3 goals, thus bringing the  difference in goal differences to almost zero.

Ideally, we need at least a point against Pompey to keep them 'honest' for the rest of their games. After that, it's possible that all of our remaining opponents could be "on the beach" by the time we play them, which MAY mean that they're less motivated (although that isn't a given).

In the last 5 games -

Portsmouth - 13 points (2.6 ppg)

Derby - 12 points (2.4 ppg)

Bolton - 6 points (1.2 ppg)

PBoro - 9 points (1.8 ppg)

Barnsley - 5 points (1 ppg)

It would take a huge swing in form for us to throw this away now. Us & Bolton would have to pretty much swap form.

7 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I'd be happy to make it by 1 goal on goal difference. When we sing how we get there I don't care, I really don't, as long as we get there

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

Ideally, we need at least a point against Pompey to keep them 'honest' for the rest of their games. After that, it's possible that all of our remaining opponents could be "on the beach" by the time we play them, which MAY mean that they're less motivated (although that isn't a given).

There’s also the argument that teams play better when not under any sort of pressure…

8 hours ago, ram59 said:

We are claiming that our goal difference is worth an extra point, but it's a lot closer than people think. For teams to catch us up on points, they'll have to win games and improve their goal difference whilst we lost or draw games. Assuming only 1 goal wins or defeats, then the difference to Bolton will be a maximum of 4 and Peterborough will be 5. However, you would expect at least one of those games to be by 2 or 3 goals, thus bringing the  difference in goal differences to almost zero.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Get anything at Portsmouth and I’m confident of autos. Otherwise, we could be level with Bolton going into the Wycombe game. Really hoping the Northampton defeat doesn’t come back to bite us

I'm more concerned that the defeat at Bolton could still come back to haunt us, because it was mostly due to the officials incompetence. A draw there would have meant we'd now be nine points clear of them.