Banksy, artist or vandal ?

Thought it might be an interesting debate ?
I like some so called modern art though I don’t know anything about it and kind of like it that way so I can just like what I like rather than what so called experts tell me what should like and why , 

love a day out at the Tate modern and the summer festival 🤷🏻‍♂️

Trite rubbish. Personally, I'm not keen on graffiti at all but, leaving that aside, it's just so jejune. If someone were to tell me Banksy was their favourite artist, it would elicit the same response as being told their favourite musician were Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran. "Wow, you must've really thought long and hard about the medium before concluding you like the exact same massively overexposed thing as everyone else."

Urinals, sharks cut in half, lampshades filled with blood, a light that turns itself on and off, 50k for a whitewashed wall where the art is that you visualize your own art, tents filled with condoms.

I'd rather hammer a nail through my own scrotum than bother, although I'd need to be careful not to win the Turner prize if anyone saw me do it.

Couple of crackers from last year

jesse-darling-turner-prize-2023-towner-a

ghislaine-leung-turner-prize-2023-towner

I can appreciate any kind of art where some proper technical ability and skill is used. 
Last time I went to the Tate modern I was disappointed that there was so many examples of stuff my then 7 year old could have done - splashing paint around and random placing of bricks etc. 

I enjoyed going to the previous sculpture exhibitions in Chatsworth Park. Some proper skill & inspiration there, with materials used and messaging. 

23 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I can appreciate any kind of art where some proper technical ability and skill is used. 
Last time I went to the Tate modern I was disappointed that there was so many examples of stuff my then 7 year old could have done - splashing paint around and random placing of bricks etc. 

I enjoyed going to the previous sculpture exhibitions in Chatsworth Park. Some proper skill & inspiration there, with materials used and messaging. 

I thought this the first time...years later went again and myself and others would make up a 'backstory' about the image in front of us. We were quite serious and it became enjoyable. Puts a different perspective on that, for example, blue stripe down the centre of a pure white background. My take on this was "After years of Earth being in an ice age, the first flowing river was spotted. One by one people came out of the shelters and could begin again".

To answer op question. His artwork is different and usually has a message behind it.

Edited by TimRam

53 minutes ago, Anon said:

Trite rubbish. Personally, I'm not keen on graffiti at all but, leaving that aside, it's just so jejune. If someone were to tell me Banksy was their favourite artist, it would elicit the same response as being told their favourite musician were Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran. "Wow, you must've really thought long and hard about the medium before concluding you like the exact same massively overexposed thing as everyone else."

Maybe everyone else likes those artists for good reason! 🤷🏽

Why scoff at what others like because it doesn’t fit with your preferences?

Modern art is absolute talentless garbage that people with too much money seem keen on wasting it on 

Banksy is in the same boat. nothing brilliant about his art its just that no one knows who he is so it adds to the mystique of it all

Edited by BatRam

Does it have to be a choice?  For me it is both art and vandalism.  The thing about art is that it's left to opinion, saying this is art but that isn't is missing the point of art.  If one feels that something is art, then for that person it is art, if enough people consider some work art, then it is popular art.  It is the effect that is the art.

2 hours ago, ramit said:

Does it have to be a choice?  For me it is both art and vandalism.  The thing about art is that it's left to opinion, saying this is art but that isn't is missing the point of art.  If one feels that something is art, then for that person it is art, if enough people consider some work art, then it is popular art.  It is the effect that is the art.

Your right I did consider art , vandalism or both as the title 👍

He's not a vandal but also not much of an artist. His paintings values are already falling through the floor precisely because they rested on mystique and a message which hasn't much developed in the past decade. Stagnation in art is akin to going backwards

Nobody will ever convince me that modern art isnt a monumental nonsense and in most cases simply an opportunity for someone rich to avoid some tax by 'investing' in a painting.

At least Banksy tries to say something in the process, even if his artwork is now getting covered in plastic and probably hoovered up by insanely wealthy collectors that are missing the point.

Seems to me that a few have rather missed Banksy's point. He has an extremely successful career away from his graffiti exploits and if anything, he's thumbing his nose at the art establishment, not trying to join it.

The fact is, he's an activist, pure and simple and makes no claim whatsoever to being a serious artist. The irony is that those who 'tritely' assess his art using the usual hackneyed metrics, are his targets, not his audience. 

25 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

The irony is that those who 'tritely' assess his art using the usual hackneyed metrics, are his targets, not his audience. 

Yup - our Guy Fawkes mask-wearing pal has made himself look a chump yet again, but at least now we know what jejune means