Match Thread: vs Northampton Town (a)

We have retreated to the failings of the Exeter and Charlton games. Down to the manager and his obsession with Bradley and an

over-defensive back 3 formation ( which can be attacking as in our recent wins). In  hindsight the loss of Gayle seems so significant. Warne says in his interview that we didn't get the wing backs forward enough -- whose fault is that?

1 minute ago, TheTinMan said:

Is that typical though? Except TJJ they are all old men, bound to get injuries, naive to think otherwise. This isn't hindsight, you sign these sorts of players in league 1 its because they have no better options and they are broken and risky to sign. 

I’d say having 3 or 4 injured at once is hard luck, yeah. TJJ is the only one I’m not surprised about given his injury record. I also think a lot had to fall “right” for us to get CBT with the loan fee and expiring contract etc.

Wide areas were needed more than strikers in January, why it hasn’t worked out yet with CBT, I’m not too sure.

Just now, Sparkle said:

Nearly agreed with you there, Bradley getting sent off is not helpful because we might have a situation where we need a centre half no matter how we judge him - I really hope Forsyth can be fit 

At this level I'd be okay with a youngster from the U21s, names forgotten. We won't look so turgid across the back line we'll be able to move the ball more quickly too.

7 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I wonder if last weeks victory and celebrations went to everyone in the clubs heads?

That victory came from hard work, sensible decisions and teamwork.

Today, well…… I don’t know what to say!

Well to be fair last week shouldn’t have gone to your heads because you were largely outplayed. If anything it should have been at best a point but fair enough you got the winner whilst Wanderers missed their chances. That should have sent warning signals to the players not celebrations. At this time of the season you can only expect the unexpected, just like today. There’s a lot of ups and downs to go yet as nerves start to kick in but certainly today’s unexpected defeat opens the door to second spot again. It’s going to be a very interesting month now and that 4 point cushion isn’t anything like the 7 it could have been but you still do have a cushion and it’s still in your own hands so the players just have to keep their nerve and deliver.

13 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Just checking the history books (again) and turns out that is the first time ever that a team going for promotion loses away at a poorer team who are really up for it.

As this is a totally new experience, no one knows what to do. I suggest a huge over reaction, throw all your toys out the pram and make loads of huge claims like "the manager should be sacked", "that's the worst performance I have ever seen" or "we bottle it every single time". Don't say it's one of those things, we missed a few chances but played poorly.

You must be new to this Derby County thing, then. This isn't a one off. This happens every single time. Every time we have a chance to move forwards and leave our opponents trailing in our dust, we get the brush and dustpan out, sweep up the dust and give the clubs behind us a tow. As many of us have said, we should be sitting in first place with 5, 6 or more points clear, because the players we have, used properly, are well capable of that. But Warne has contrived to make us set up to be scared of a team that has lost loads of matches and conceded loads of goals. 

In his pre-match presser he was talking about having to defend for our live for goodness sake.  This is talking about a team that loses for fun, and lets goals in like they are on piece-rate for goals conceded. And no, we didn't even look like bundling the ball over the line.

We were summed up by Hourihane, right near the ned of the match, when he intercepted the ball in the centre circle, with everyone back for Northampton. H sent his pass towards Nelson, who was 5 yards away, but he put the ball 10 yards behind Nelson! What was Hourihane even doing on the pitch at the kick off, let alone right near the end?

18 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We are still capable of automatic promotion because the opposition are so poor and not because of our outstanding football 

I love your optimism, mate. I have a bridge in London for sale that you can buy.

13 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Just arrived in Cornwall for our Easter break….just checking in…how did things go 🫣

CLOSE THE FORUM BOARD IMMEDIATELY. TURN OFF YOUR PHONE/LAPTOP AND DO NOT DARE TO READ ANY OF THE COMMENTS.

Enjoy your holiday mate, and come back on next week, some time. Better still, don't come back on till the season is over.

Just now, DavesaRam said:

I love your optimism, mate. I have a bridge in London for sale that you can buy.

Make no mistake we can go up automatically despite being not looking any better than last season - it’s such a poor league and we have players who are better than a lot of the other ones in this league 

Just now, Sparkle said:

Make no mistake we can go up automatically despite being not looking any better than last season - it’s such a poor league and we have players who are better than a lot of the other ones in this league 

But a manager who is tactically the most inept