Meerkats

TomTom92

I’m sure most of you have seen the radio Derby interview yesterday when Warne starts babbling on about meerkats. 

What I do find interesting is how it polarises the fans. Some fans love it or find it funny and others call him weird and seem generally irritated by him. 

My personal opinion is that I’d rather have a manager who’s weird but has personality than the same old same old boring clap trap 90% of managers spout these days. 

Do people not like it because they genuinely don’t get on with people like Warne? Or is it more to do with the fact they hate him as manager so anything he does is wrong or bad? 

I guess my main question is would you go for a pint with Warne?

10 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I’m sure most of you have seen the radio Derby interview yesterday when Warne starts babbling on about meerkats. 

What I do find interesting is how it polarises the fans. Some fans love it or find it funny and others call him weird and seem generally irritated by him. 

My personal opinion is that I’d rather have a manager who’s weird but has personality than the same old same old boring clap trap 90% of managers spout these days. 

Do people not like it because they genuinely don’t get on with people like Warne? Or is it more to do with the fact they hate him as manager so anything he does is wrong or bad? 

I guess my main question is would you go for a pint with Warne?

Made me laugh,I always enjoy his interviews.

Better than the normal boring crap most managers spout.

Most of his interviews are bizarre and the press must love it.  They ask a question and he rambles on, and starts answering and asking himself questions he thinks might be coming.  

At least he has some personality and it's not the stock answers most managers trot out.

I do think he sets himself for a fall though by being far too honest - he will/should learn from this.  

I also think, as a player if you are with him you'll go more than the extra mile, so hopefully they have all bought in to his ethos.  I'd bet if you are an outsider, then he wouldn't give you the time of day.  

Ultimately, he's a complex character and I'd love to share a pint with him and talk football.  Whenever your free PW - your round !

Cheers 

Gangway D from the Terrace  

4 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

I don't understand how his personality can be so effervescent and outgoing, and then his style of football just.. isn't.

I know they're not mutually exclusive, but it's weird how polar opposite they are.

Could be very ignorant on my part, but wasn’t Warne’s career in league 1/2? Add in it was over 10 years ago before Pep brainwashed everyone in to total football. Maybe he’s teaching what he knows? 

He reminds me of the sort of friends I once had. Outside of work, quite a laugh, I'd imagine being friends with him for long enough you'd have your own "inside language" with numerous in-jokes etc. that others would think you're speaking gibberish half the time, but its be a giggle for those in the know. Yes I'd love to have a drink and a chat with folks like that, including PW.

At work, that style, quite a deliberate persona works well to form a team ethic and have staff enjoy working for him ... providing competence is demonstrated, take that away and its quickly seen as clownish and failing to 'see the gravity of the situation'. 

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

At work, that style, quite a deliberate persona works well to form a team ethic and have staff enjoy working for him ... providing competence is demonstrated, take that away and its quickly seen as clownish and failing to 'see the gravity of the situation'. 

I think this is spot on.
If you think he's competent as a manager, this approach works because I suspect the players think they can talk to him about anything and everything and that only helps the team. So I do think for a certain type of player, they will run through brick walls for him.

But for some people/players I suspect it comes across as being too relaxed (football classically being more important than life or death) and then there's no way he can demonstrate competence and earn respect.

Personally, I think he'd be fantastic in the pub, and second in the league ticks the competence box for me for now