When life gives you lemons

YouRams

Just now, Jourdan said:

Got what they deserved?

You make it sound like Warne and the team didn’t want a striker and were happy with the outcome?

There’s a difference between what we wanted and what we got and clearly Warne had to suck it up and accept the situation for what it was.

As I said, we had all of January

38 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

If Collo is out for Saturday, and considering CBT, Elder, and Hourihane are apparently doubts too, there's only 2 XIs I can think of fielding:

Wildsmith

Nelson     Bradley     Cashin
         Wilson                                                       Sibley
                                        Adams

Bird                    Thompson

Barks     NML

OR

Wildsmith

Nyambe    Nelson      Cashin    Sibley

Adams
                         Bird                  Thompson

Wilson                                   Barks
                                      NML

Downside of the first is back 5 at home may seem negative, however a fluid front 2 may suit the personnel better. Bottom is more offensive but requires NML to play the traditional striker role in which he may get isolated by Stevenage's centre halves and we may lose a focal point up-top.

Maybe we should set up and play at home like we do when we go away !?

I know large sections of the crowd would moan and whine if we play on the counter but you play to your strengths in order to win games.

I remember the great Dynamo Kiev side with Shevchenko and they played on the counter in every game and it took them to the Champions League semi final. Why ? Cos that system played to their strengths.

13 minutes ago, inter politics said:

As I said, we had all of January

Yes, we had all of January to sign a striker and no doubt we tried for the entire month to secure a deal.

But it is not straightforward. Clearly we want players who will add something to the squad and we want someone who will improve us in some way. It’s not a case of taking absolutely anyone.

Better players are usually more difficult to sign, and clubs and even players will use whatever tactic they can to get the best deal and move possible. Moves you think are close often break down because of this.

If Collins is out for any length of time, it’s just really unfortunate.

36 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Yep, it was obvious so if he is seriously injured, Warne and co have got what they deserved.

Well he thinks he can get through without an addition at CF.  Maybe he can but if it’s playoffs he will struggle IMO.  What do I know but I wouldn’t want to rely on what he has now. 

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, we had all of January to sign a striker and no doubt we tried for the entire month to secure a deal.

But it is not straightforward. Clearly we want players who will add something to the squad and we want someone who will improve us in some way. It’s not a case of taking absolutely anyone.

Better players are usually more difficult to sign, and clubs and even players will use whatever tactic they can to get the best deal and move possible. Moves you think are close often break down because of this.

If Collins is out for any length of time, it’s just really unfortunate.

You'll also have heard Warne say a striker was lined up with 4 hrs of the window left and all parties were ok with the move until his manager suddenly changed his mind.

1 minute ago, Foreveram said:

Well there’s a few on here that think they know everything 🙄

Well Warne clearly doesn’t.  Look at Shrewsbury.  1 point out of 6 and we were terrible at home and away. Yes we beat Exeter I accept that . 

27 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Really shortsighted by the club not getting backup for Collins IMO in January.  They got Adams yes butBird has essentially gone 

I’m sorry but you can’t have, Adams is here as a loan signing but Bird isn’t 🤷🏻‍♂️

Its well documented that they had a player in the building and the deal was scuppered at the last minute.

2 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I’m sorry but you can’t have, Adams is here as a loan signing but Bird isn’t 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s well documented that they had a player in the building and the deal was scuppered at the last minute.

Ok . It’s not my problem it’s Warnes and the clubs if Collins is out long term .

I am just disappointed ☹️ 

Hope Warne can get us promoted but I won’t get over Bird going easily. 

Collins being out would only really be a problem because every other striker we signed ended up crocked, but then you can hardly have expected Waghorn & TJJ to last the pace, and some of our other signings may not represent VFM until next season.

The end of the January window was well explained and understandable, though.

I guess you could question when talking of the need for a player to improve just us how well judged that criteria is.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

1 hour ago, inter politics said:

We had all of January and we didn't just have to deal with Sheffield wednesday 

You need to listen to the interview with SP.  He said there were 3 targets, 2 in the PL and 1 in the Championship.  The players in the PL started getting games.  A deal was done for the 1 in the Championship and all the paperwork was sorted.  Then his club changed their mind at something like 9:30.

2 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

You need to listen to the interview with SP.  He said there were 3 targets, 2 in the PL and 1 in the Championship.  The players in the PL started getting games.  A deal was done for the 1 in the Championship and all the paperwork was sorted.  Then his club changed their mind at something like 9:30.

I heard it. We had all of January. Not saying deals in Jan are easy, they clearly aren't. But we got CBT done with plenty of time to go.

Forget the January window. Personally I think it’s poor that we didn’t recruit within the month but acknowledge we seem to have been unlucky with a last minute change of heart. 

But why haven’t we looked in to the free transfer market? Don’t give me Wag and Wash coming back, they’re still 2-3 weeks away and hardly top end quality. 

Not saying Gayle or Joao are the messiahs but rather them up top than having to force NML up there.

3 hours ago, goodgollymickbrolly said:

Well yes, as that’s why he’s having a scan.  This isn’t hard really is it?

I was having a bit of a laugh (hence the laughing face) at the fact that instead of saying he'd picked up a knock that was being assessed he said he could play Saturday or could be out for the rest of the season. Kind of stating the obvious. But never mind.

Edited by Tamworthram