Paul Warne

Day

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

From what I’m told, Clowes absolutely loves Warne and wouldn’t sack him within the term of his contract, no matter what happens. HOWEVER… he’s about the only one at the club who feels that way. Many other senior figures lost faith in him long ago. In fact, I was told the other day that Warne is likely to resign at the end of this season irrespective of promotion, such is the strain of those other relationships.

There's a video out there some where where PW says he failed last season and if DCFC don't get promoted this season it's another failure and he'd expect to be out of work.

The DC/PW love affair is a little concerning for me, As if there's a BIG decision to make for DC...the heart can rule the head, All who post on here want the absolute best for DCFC in all aspects of the game, But...when you have a fan of a club who is now the owner and that owner employed said manager and it doesn't work out, The said owner becomes the one who failed...remember Francis Lee at Man City.

There is a case of that DC can walk on water and all he touches turns to gold as he saved the club once upon a time, But this is football, Some fans forget what went on in the past, They're not bothered about yesterday...they bothered about tomorrow, Fans want/need to be successful.

I have a feeling @Millenniumram info aint that far short, The one thing that might put a spoke in his information is...who is PW telling he'll walk if DCFC doesn't get promoted.

On a personal note PW has said he's failed and he doesn't like failure, So I think he'll tender his resignation and DC will not accept it 😬 

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

From what I’m told, Clowes absolutely loves Warne and wouldn’t sack him within the term of his contract, no matter what happens. HOWEVER… he’s about the only one at the club who feels that way. Many other senior figures lost faith in him long ago. In fact, I was told the other day that Warne is likely to resign at the end of this season irrespective of promotion, such is the strain of those other relationships.

If true, this would reflect very badly on those senior figures. Its one thing to have an opinion, quite another to let that damage working relationships.

If we don't go up, I can definitely see PW resigning. He has one job - get us out of this horrible sh**ty league. He's got a great track record in L1, and even in his 2 seasons here, he's had us consolidated in the play-off places for the majority of his tenure, so he clearly know what he's doing....to an extent

But he's obviously sick of the grief he gets from the vocal fans that hate him. Why would anyone put up with that when pretty much every other club in this league would snap his hand off. And with Rotherham likely coming back down, he's got a ready-made opportunity right there

I for one look forward to seeing which manager we replace him with that everyone can slag off to high heaven if we don't play like Brazil against a team of cloggers that's parked the bus

He’s not Pep but he’s the manager of Derby County. Surely it’s in the best interests of the club to put any reservations we may have about him and his style of football and to get behind him and the team so that we achieve success?

Any negativity at this stage of the season must be to the detriment of the team. Let’s be loud and proud until promotion is achieved. Then, and only then, should we speculate about what happens next.

9 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

...But he's obviously sick of the grief he gets from the vocal fans that hate him. Why would anyone put up with that when pretty much every other club in this league would snap his hand off. And with Rotherham likely coming back down, he's got a ready-made opportunity right there

I for one look forward to seeing which manager we replace him with that everyone can slag off to high heaven if we don't play like Brazil against a team of cloggers that's parked the bus

Who were they btw? I haven't seen much in the way of cloggers, but it's a standard league 1 meme. No chance we'll play like Brazil so you got that bit right. 😄

21 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

There's a video out there some where where PW says he failed last season and if DCFC don't get promoted this season it's another failure and he'd expect to be out of work.

The DC/PW love affair is a little concerning for me, As if there's a BIG decision to make for DC...the heart can rule the head, All who post on here want the absolute best for DCFC in all aspects of the game, But...when you have a fan of a club who is now the owner and that owner employed said manager and it doesn't work out, The said owner becomes the one who failed...remember Francis Lee at Man City.

There is a case of that DC can walk on water and all he touches turns to gold as he saved the club once upon a time, But this is football, Some fans forget what went on in the past, They're not bothered about yesterday...they bothered about tomorrow, Fans want/need to be successful.

I have a feeling @Millenniumram info aint that far short, The one thing that might put a spoke in his information is...who is PW telling he'll walk if DCFC doesn't get promoted.

On a personal note PW has said he's failed and he doesn't like failure, So I think he'll tender his resignation and DC will not accept it 😬 

Nobody likes failure but there are degrees of failure. Yes, if we don’t go up then quite obviously we have failed to get promotion this season which would have been PW’s aim but I don’t think that should automatically cause him to be sacked or to resign. It’s not as if he has failed miserably (assuming we at least reach the play offs).

Regarding him personally not liking failure, well I reckon he’d rather try and prove he can do it next season than admit outright failure and walk away. I wouldn’t read too much into his comments about being out of work if we don’t go up this season. I reckon that was just one of his off the cuff comments confirming that all managers are at risk. If he’d thought carefully before speaking I reckon he’d probably have said something more like “I might well be out of work”.

26 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

If we don't go up, I can definitely see PW resigning. He has one job - get us out of this horrible sh**ty league. He's got a great track record in L1, and even in his 2 seasons here, he's had us consolidated in the play-off places for the majority of his tenure, so he clearly know what he's doing....to an extent

But he's obviously sick of the grief he gets from the vocal fans that hate him. Why would anyone put up with that when pretty much every other club in this league would snap his hand off. And with Rotherham likely coming back down, he's got a ready-made opportunity right there

Surely he has two jobs 1) get us promoted and 2) make us an established Championship club (how you define that is open to interpretation). But, as far as we are aware, there is no two season time limit on achieving the first objective. For all we know, the timescale agreed between DC and PW could be - get us promoted within 3 seasons (taking into account the restrictions we have been under in seasons 1 & 2. Not that I expect DC to splash the cash in the summer) and survive comfortably in the Championship in season 4 (or sooner if we got promoted earlier).

I just can’t help but think people calling for him to be sacked or to resign if we don’t go up this season are clutching at straws. None of us know PW’s real personality and if he’s the sort of person to throw the towel in when the team fall just short, or if DC is ruthless enough to send him on his way in the summer.

As for the “grief he gets from the vocal fans that hate him”, I reckon he accepts such feelings on social media as simply a sign of the times. Other clubs may snap his hand off but does he see himself as a winner or a quitter? 🤷🏻 I reckon the former.

p.s. I’m not saying we threw it deliberately but maybe going up last season might have been too early given the two year business plan and subsequent restrictions. Staying up this year could have been very challenging.

Edited by Tamworthram

I think Warne has struggled a bit with the demanding nature of some of our fans, I honestly could see him walking because he gives off something of a "needs to be loved" vibe and I don't think we're ever going to love him, even if we do go up.

I also think of we do go up with Warne, being underdogs in the champions (which we likely will be when we first go up) would be actually good for Warne's strengths but again probably unsatisfactory to some parts of our fanbase.

As a club and as fans I think in general we value certain things in our side more than others, technical ability and attractive play over efficiency and work ethic (sweeping generalisation), but, I also think we get bad cases of the grass is greener whoever the management are.

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really? If you say so.

Yes, all utilise low blocks and look to pack the midfield to prevent overloads in defensive positions, often at the expense of fluid offensive movements. Don't just take my word for it though, let's have a look at a recent game featuring 2/3 teams mentioned:

image.thumb.png.0e9021af21bf9d1ca6038193bce61704.png

Stevenage's formation especially here shows what I'm alluding to: 541. Not one Stevenage player had a pass accuracy % above 70% in this game, with most below 50% which quantifies the 'cloggers' statement as it proves this defensive setup restricts offensive cohesion. Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

16 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Yes, all utilise low blocks and look to pack the midfield to prevent overloads in defensive positions, often at the expense of fluid offensive movements. Don't just take my word for it though, let's have a look at a recent game featuring 2/3 teams mentioned:

image.thumb.png.0e9021af21bf9d1ca6038193bce61704.png

Stevenage's formation especially here shows what I'm alluding to: 541. Not one Stevenage player had a pass accuracy % above 70% in this game, with most below 50% which quantifies the 'cloggers' statement as it proves this defensive setup restricts offensive cohesion. Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

It might quantify a pass accuracy, but it doesn't make them 'cloggers'. What does ours look like as you have time on your hands.

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Covers my thoughts exactly 

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It might quantify a pass accuracy, but it doesn't make them 'cloggers'. What does ours look like as you have time on your hands.

v Port Vale (OPTA stats). Much higher pass accuracy. Also our 343 formation is the attacking variant of the traditional back 5, so between those 2 metrics, it's fairly easy to establish who's the 'cloggers'. image.thumb.png.7810935665cef85d495001cf46643801.png

8 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

v Port Vale (OPTA stats). Much higher pass accuracy. Also our 343 formation is the attacking variant of the traditional back 5, so between those 2 metrics, it's fairly easy to establish who's the 'cloggers'. image.thumb.png.7810935665cef85d495001cf46643801.png

Where did you find these statistics? They look quite interesting.

15 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Your definition of 'clogger' is obviously different to the current parlance used for League 1 teams.

10 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

Where did you find these statistics? They look quite interesting.

Sofascore (https://www.sofascore.com/team/football/derby-county/27)

A mate of mine put me onto the app years ago. Fastest real time score updates I've seen and also pulls all the OPTA data in real time so you can look at team and individual stats during games.

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

Sofascore (https://www.sofascore.com/team/football/derby-county/27)

A mate of mine put me onto the app years ago. Fastest real time score updates I've seen and also pulls all the OPTA data in real time so you can look at team and individual stats during games.

I have to get on that. Looks far better than bbc sport that I use atm.