Paul Warne

Day

Should have thanked him for his services at the end of last seasons catastrophic collapse.

I honestly think failure to get promotion this year would be catastrophic for this club in so many ways. Look how easy this division is and we are still arsing it up. Imagine if we have clubs like QPR, Huddersfield, Notts County, Wrexham...that's without Reading and Wigan potentially being more stable.

28 minutes ago, Andicis said:

His time at Birmingham has no impact on the job he did here though, or the football he played here. 

I don’t really think you can judge Rooney’s ability based on his time at Derby. Bizarrely, he had the advantage of us competing in the face of adversity. It was backs against the wall, us versus the rest of the world (well, the EFL) that helped galvanise and unite the club, both on and off the pitch. Whilst he may have set teams up to be more attacking and entertaining it’s impossible to know if he’d had been able to get the performances out of the players that he did had we been competing under normal circumstances. His time in the US and at Birmingham suggest not.

12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Should have thanked him for his services at the end of last seasons catastrophic collapse.

I honestly think failure to get promotion this year would be catastrophic for this club in so many ways. Look how easy this division is and we are still arsing it up. Imagine if we have clubs like QPR, Huddersfield, Notts County, Wrexham...that's without Reading and Wigan potentially being more stable.

Whilst I can’t stand his style of football it was right to give him the season although his absolute scatter gun approach to signing players concerned me greatly. Yes in terms of the opposition this year certainly looked like the easiest/poorest league imaginable but remember he has 3 promotions from this league so it must have been just as poor on a least 3 occasions before.

2 hours ago, Rammed said:

Hi everyone I been watching the Ram's since 1975 and I was listening to warne after the game at Charlton and he still thinks the players are not giving enough! 

But I do not see him holding his hands up to say I got it wrong for changing the second half does anyone think the same.

I don’t to take too much notice of pre and post match interviews other than for injury updates. This is especially the case for interviews straight after the game when the manager hasn’t had a great deal of time to watch replays or fully prepare. Having said that, whilst not always being as specific as you are seeking, I have noticed him saying things like “I got it wrong in the first half” and, on occasions, saying “that includes me”. I’ve heard him saying he got the original formation wrong (or similar) but never heard him say he got the substitutions wrong. Regarding the Charlton game, I don’t think he had a great deal of choice about taking off Adams and Smith so really the only questions for me would be: did he bring the right players on (he’d probably say “maybe, maybe not”) and why did he leave it so late to bring CBT on. 

In any event, well done for starting another thread to criticise PW when one already exists.

Mods, can we not combine this one with the existing one?

Edited by Tamworthram

54 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He has a stubborn streak doesn’t he - thinking 3 centre half’s is the way to go even at home whatever it costs the team elsewhere in the selected team. 
Does he have favourites? Well it seems to appear so 

Does he give youngsters a chance, even in none sense cup games - not really 

Does he sign players with huge recent injury records - absolutely 

is he a good judge of a player ? - depends on your view point, use Bradley as an example - past 30 signed on high wages and looked not very good at all and fairly incapable of playing in a back 4 and when you compare to a Curtis Davies who played for very little for us in the past two seasons who never looked useless and positionally sound ( no surprise he is helping Cheltenham away from the relegation spots) 

it's all about opinions but I think a lot of our players look as miserable as they can be weather or not they are playing or not 

They probably look miserable due to the whether 😉

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

He has a stubborn streak doesn’t he - thinking 3 centre half’s is the way to go even at home whatever it costs the team elsewhere in the selected team. 
Does he have favourites? Well it seems to appear so 

Does he give youngsters a chance, even in none sense cup games - not really 

Does he sign players with huge recent injury records - absolutely 

is he a good judge of a player ? - depends on your view point, use Bradley as an example - past 30 signed on high wages and looked not very good at all and fairly incapable of playing in a back 4 and when you compare to a Curtis Davies who played for very little for us in the past two seasons who never looked useless and positionally sound ( no surprise he is helping Cheltenham away from the relegation spots) 

it's all about opinions but I think a lot of our players look as miserable as they can be weather or not they are playing or not 

1. Salary Sport has Bradley on £395K pa. With our maximum permitted salary last season being £600K pa, it's hard to imagine Curtis earning less than what Bradley is this season.

2. Who says Bradley can't play in a back 4?

3 Why are you ignoring Bradley's recent good form?

4. Wasn't it Curtis' error that caused us to miss out on a playoff spot on the last day of the season?

4. Cheltenham are still in the bottom 4 in both the league table and the current form table.

Don't misconstrue this as an attack on Curtis Davies - in his prime, he was far, far better than Bradley will ever be - but facts are at least as important as opinions on here.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t really think you can judge Rooney’s ability based on his time at Derby. Bizarrely, he had the advantage of us competing in the face of adversity. It was backs against the wall, us versus the rest of the world (well, the EFL) that helped galvanise and unite the club, both on and off the pitch. Whilst he may have set teams up to be more attacking and entertaining it’s impossible to know if he’d had been able to get the performances out of the players that he did had we been competing under normal circumstances. His time in the US and at Birmingham suggest not.

I actually agree with that, however I don't believe in retrospectively claiming he did a bad job at Derby based on him being a poor manager elsewhere (not what you did, but others).

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

His time at Birmingham has no impact on the job he did here though, or the football he played here. 

@Archied you laugh reacted, what do you disagree with there? Retconning the job a manager did here based on what he did elsewhere isn't really sensible is it?

22 minutes ago, Crewton said:

1. Salary Sport has Bradley on £395K pa. With our maximum permitted salary last season being £600K pa, it's hard to imagine Curtis earning less than what Bradley is this season.

4. Wasn't it Curtis' error that caused us to miss out on a playoff spot on the last day of the season?

4. Cheltenham are still in the bottom 4 in both the league table and the current form table.

Don't misconstrue this as an attack on Curtis Davies - in his prime, he was far, far better than Bradley will ever be - but facts are at least as important as opinions on here.

Some facts there, but also your opinion. What makes more sense, Cashin and Nelson in a back 4 or Bradders plus 1???

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I actually agree with that, however I don't believe in retrospectively claiming he did a bad job at Derby based on him being a poor manager elsewhere (not what you did, but others).

I think it's reasonably fair to say (given both of their post-Derby careers so far) that while Rooney was the public face of the operation, probably did the motivation, public speaking etc and had the contact book of mates to call, Rosenior was the footballing brains behind the operation.  And that's not meant as a slight on Rooney, he was excellent at that other stuff. And he's by no means the only manager who's basically needed a good right-hand man to compensate for his own weaknesses.

38 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Facts are useful but you haven’t shown any by the way 

point 2 well Bradley can’t really run quick enough to catch most forwards and he isn’t selected to play ahead of Nelson and Cashin which suggests he is last choice 

point 3 recent good form ? - being barely functional doesn’t suggest good form and only being selected basically for a back three suggests limited ability to play in a partnership 

point 4 well was that even a foul? Was it even in the box? All semantics Davies being a better at 39 probably edges the best value

but this is a forum of fans opinions and I respect yours whilst not agreeing with them.