Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

What does it matter? Provided they come in and do a job for the Rams who cares where they’ve played previously.

It matters (to a few) if it means they're able to continue their constant sniping of the manager.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

It matters (to a few) if it means they're able to continue their constant sniping of the manager.

I have my suspicions on this point, the fact some people on here, and elsewhere online, will push this “we only sign players from Rotherham or South Yorkshire” angle when the evidence shows otherwise. However I was hoping to hear a more expanded rationale to maybe help me understand it a bit more, perhaps I’ve misunderstood the facts.

The way I see it is we’re linked with a Goalkeeper who has plenty of Championship experience and a handful of premier league appearances to his name also, a player who is a good age at 26, who is probably based locally so won’t have massive upheaval domestically if he joins us, and may settle sooner thanks to a pre-existing relationship with the coaching staff. 

9 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Did they do the same to Clough when we was signing Burton and anyone affiliated with Burton or non league? Sounds a good keeper on a loan or free to me!

58 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Makes a lot of sense to me:

Option 1) spend a fee now and have less money to spend on other players

Option 2) loan him for a year and get him on a free the following season.

No doubt the loan costs will be a lot less than any potential permanent fee, and you'd think a contract would get pre-agreed for him to sign the following summer, so no chance of him heading off to another club instead.

It's not as flashy but it sounds like good business to me!

The fee Leicester will want for the loan or permanent deal is going to be the same. It makes no odds to them. They're losing him for nothing at the end of the year anyway. 

It might help with PSR, but I honestly have no idea. Free transfers don't carry any amortisation costs (I don't think or at least very minimal). It could be for that reason. 

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

I guess it would make some sense to Leicester in that they’re guaranteed some kind of fee rather than lose him for nothing next year, but that kind of deal sounds like something that would happen later in the window.

There were apparently a host of clubs who met Johansson’s release clause, you’d think that Iversen may be a logical choice if those clubs are still after a keeper.

If it makes more financial sense, then sure, but Warne has said we will be looking at PL loans. If Iversen comes in on loan, permanent next summer, we can have 4 more at most. We might not even fill those slots, but I would’ve thought spending a little more on Iversen as a permanent now and keeping the loan slot may make more sense in terms of building the depth we’ll need for the season.

I hadn't thought about it eating into our limit on loan players. That's a good point!

I guess my thinking is that they'd only be pursuing this option if it was the one that made the most amount of sense within our financial plan. 

Not being very well-versed in football finance and regulations, I don't really know the benefit of a loan over permanent in a situation like the one being discussed. But I can't see that it would be an issue for us to set the deal up that way if it gets a quality keeper in.

I hope that we'll be bringing in enough permanent signings that having 4 available loan spots for outfield players would be plenty. 

I hope the loans would be along the lines of Clark from Liverpool or Rak-Sakyi from Palace who have been suggested, where its players that add that flair and skill that is harder to come by in permanent signings from the championship or lower. A promising young striker from a prem club who ends up having the impact like Abraham did years ago or Stansfield did last year would be great too.

21 minutes ago, abertawe_ram said:

Not being very well-versed in football finance and regulations, I don't really know the benefit of a loan over permanent in a situation like the one being discussed. But I can't see that it would be an issue for us to set the deal up that way if it gets a quality keeper in.

I hope that we'll be bringing in enough permanent signings that having 4 available loan spots for outfield players would be plenty. 

I hope the loans would be along the lines of Clark from Liverpool or Rak-Sakyi from Palace who have been suggested, where its players that add that flair and skill that is harder to come by in permanent signings from the championship or lower. A promising young striker from a prem club who ends up having the impact like Abraham did years ago or Stansfield did last year would be great too.

We would not want another John Jules situation . We have a tough decision to make , either pay a loan fee to a Prem club or buy a player for the same amount . If we buy and improve that player - we have him for several years and could sell for a profit , in the same way Peterborough do. 

Ben Hamer has just been released from Watford and I think he’s worth a shout….only joking I’d rather have Rammie in net. 

Anyway, Daniel Iversen is an upgrade on Joe Wildsmith and arguably the best keeper out there in terms of who we can afford. Very good reflexes, his kicking is not the best but he’d definitely be one of the best keepers in the league. 

Posted (edited)

Purely a guess but I think if we pay a loan fee now say £300k, then it becomes free in a year on say a 3 year deal the amortisation is zero throughout? However if we pay a fee now then that goes against P&S so in the event we sold after 2 year for £1mil, from the loan it’s £1 mil profit, whereas it would be £1 mil minus £300k profit from the permanent fee ie less?

What I wrote Could also be total nonsense 🤣  

Edited by EnigmaRam

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

However I was hoping to hear a more expanded rationale to maybe help me understand it a bit more

I'm not sure there's any great mystery behind it, I think you're looking for something deeper than there actually is.

It's no different to people calling Burton & Sheffield Utd our retirement homes when a handful of our ex-players ended up at each under Clough, or how some will call us Bristol City's feeder club because of Weimann, Roberts, Knight & Bird ending up there.  All of those teams have signed plenty of players from other teams and we've sold plenty of players to other teams.

Its just something people say without really thinking, a throwaway comment they don't really mean and/or haven't properly thought about deep down, but their idea of humourous / satirical take on the situation - granted it's tedious rather than actually being funny, but football fans aren't really known for their comedy genius.

The only really difference is that the 'joke' is at our own expense and not aimed at someone else, but it's still worth little more than an eye roll either way.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

3 hours ago, valakari said:

Ahh..the ex Rotherham loanee...surprise

1 hour ago, WarCatDCFC said:

I think we are the new Rotherham FC team 😂 that this point

@valakari could you please explain where the issue lies with Warne looking to recruit players with whom he has had first hand experience, please? Clearly, in your opinion, should he only be focussing on individuals as yet unknown to him. Can you explain why?

@WarCatDCFC Please see below. No need to thank me. You're welcome.

CURRENTLY CONTRACTED PLAYERS
Tom Barkhuizen - no link
Sonny Bradley - no link
Eiran Cashin - no link
Callum Elder - no link
Tyrese Fornah - no link
Craig Forsyth - no link
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing - no link
Curtis Nelson - no link
Ryan Nyambe - no lnk
Darren Robinson - no link
Jake Rooney - no link
Liam Thompson - no link
Josh Vickers - played 30 games for Rotherham
Joe Ward - no link
Conor Washington - played 6 games for Rotherham
Kane Wilson - no link

30 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Purely a guess but I think if we pay a loan fee now say £300k, then it becomes free in a year on say a 3 year deal the amortisation is zero throughout? However if we pay a fee now then that goes against P&S so in the event we sold after 2 year for £1mil, from the loan it’s £1 mil profit, whereas it would be £1 mil minus £300k profit from the permanent fee ie less?

What I wrote Could also be total nonsense 🤣  

Close, but you've got the basic idea.

Loan for 1 year, perm for 3
Loan fee is all accounted for in the first season
If sold after the first season, it's all profit as the player has no book value (signed on a free)
Contract extensions have no impact.

Perm for 4 years
Transfer fee is evenly distributed across the 4 years
If sold after the first season, profit = sale price - remaining book value
Contract extension spreads the remaining book value across the new contract duration

To give clarity on the contract extension bit...
A player is bought for £400k on a 4 year deal
Book value is amortised at £100k per year.
At the end of year 2 (2 years left on his contract), his book value is £200k
Player signs a new 4 year contract (extra 2 years)
His remaining book value of £200k is now amortised over 4 years (£50k per year)

This'll be a reason why you'll see some players sign 5 year deals, and then sign a new extension the year after (spread the amortisation out as much as possible), especially since 8 year contracts (Chelsea) and now 'banned' by UEFA. Technically not banned, but maximum amortisation period is set at 5 years even if contract are longer.

5 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

@valakari could you please explain where the issue lies with Warne looking to recruit players with whom he has had first hand experience, please? Clearly, in your opinion, should he only be focussing on individuals as yet unknown to him. Can you explain why?

@WarCatDCFC Please see below. No need to thank me. You're welcome.

CURRENTLY CONTRACTED PLAYERS
Tom Barkhuizen - no link
Sonny Bradley - no link
Eiran Cashin - no link
Callum Elder - no link
Tyrese Fornah - no link
Craig Forsyth - no link
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing - no link
Curtis Nelson - no link
Ryan Nyambe - no lnk
Darren Robinson - no link
Jake Rooney - no link
Liam Thompson - no link
Josh Vickers - played 30 games for Rotherham
Joe Ward - no link
Conor Washington - played 6 games for Rotherham
Kane Wilson - no link

This stupid narrative has been pedalled by lazy links which next to none of have ever came close to being true. We get linked to Rotherham/ex rotherham players all the time, and then for some reason it annoys some fans who then just think Warne only signs players who’s phone number he has already.