Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

55 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wassall's ultimately responsible. We tried to cash in as we had other promosing CMs coming through (Bird, Knight, Sibley) and then ended up getting nothing for him because no club was silly enoguh to pay for a player they could sign on a free a few months later.

He played in 2 cup games under Pearson, then 1 (as a late sub) under Rowett. He went on loan to Swindon a couple of weeks after his game for Rowett. I recall him doing pretty well until Phil Brown took over at the end of the season and dropped him after 2 games. Lampard became manager and he was loaned out to Mansfield who didn't lose a single game he started (11). It was at this point we decided we wouldn't be othering him a contract, so we tried to sell him, and he was recalled. There weren't any takers (due to being free in a few months time), so we laoned him out to whoever would cover the highest proportion of his wages... Northampton...

It was Mansfield who activated the recalling in January from a season long loan after starting 12 games and 7 sub appearances.

Stags were already 7 games unbeaten when he made his debut, the main reason for their unbeaten run was the form of on loan forest striker Tyler Walker who scored 22 goals from 42 appearances.

My mate is a stags season ticket holder and I asked him about Elsnik after every match.

He said he was very ordinary with poor decision making.

I don’t think there was anything about him at that time that said we should keep hold of him and no other team in this country were interested.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Would you want him back at that price?

I’m sure there’s some examples of it going well, but signing players off the back of successful tournaments in the summer is almost always a disaster. 

A quick glance at free agent forwards turns up a few candidates. They've more than likely been covered in this thread at various points but they appear to still be available.

Lucas Joao, Tyreece John-Jules and Tyrese Campbell are the three which caught my eye. If the latter two had a better injury record I'd be happy with either tbh. 

Edited by Rampant

I know one poster has been forced off here for his Scottish suggestions and I expect to be ridiculed, but as we're struggling and missing out on goalkeepers, I'd suggest that Shamal George from Livingston who had a good season in a poor side would be a reasonable punt.

Think he's about 300euros

29 minutes ago, alfaskye said:

I know one poster has been forced off here for his Scottish suggestions and I expect to be ridiculed, but as we're struggling and missing out on goalkeepers, I'd suggest that Shamal George from Livingston who had a good season in a poor side would be a reasonable punt.

300 euros would be about right:

• -2.2 goals prevented suggests he isn't the best shot stopper. In fact, he had the 10th best prevented rate out of SPL keepers playing at least 50% of minutes.
  • Lowest rated SPL keeper according to Whoscored
  • Poor passer (long and short)

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

300 euros would be about right:

• -2.2 goals prevented suggests he isn't the best shot stopper. In fact, he had the 10th best prevented rate out of SPL keepers playing at least 50% of minutes.
  • Lowest rated SPL keeper according to Whoscored
  • Poor passer (long and short)

Get him in 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

1 hour ago, alfaskye said:

I'll take this one point at a time.

The poster you are referring too was ridiculed for continuously supplying names of every player to have ever played north of Hadrian's Wall as an option to sign. It got very tedious scrolling through pages spouting the same about every one of them.

Shamal George doesn't seem to have had that good of a season statistically.

Who really knows if we are stuggling/missing out on keepers? Perhaps we are working within the time frames of our top choice(s) still?

Some of Wassall’s decisions over contracts towards the end really beggars belief. 
No contracts to Cashin, Elsnik, Ebosele, A Brown amongst others who have gone on to success. Just the 4 age group or full internationals. 

no surprise Sibley was given a very handsome contract when you consider who his agent is. 

2 hours ago, tinman said:

Some of Wassall’s decisions over contracts towards the end really beggars belief. 
No contracts to Cashin, Elsnik, Ebosele, A Brown amongst others who have gone on to success. Just the 4 age group or full internationals. 

no surprise Sibley was given a very handsome contract when you consider who his agent is. 

Sibley scored a championship hat trick from midfield when very young and that gets you a good contract 

4 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Can see what Warne means about the English market being bonkers when Sinclair Armstrong is going for £2 million quid

image.png.0dafa446b7e215e5eaf61eaa0c3e70e7.png

Always liked the look of Armstrong, wouldn’t have minded us gambling on him. But you’re quite right £2m on vibes is somewhat puzzling.

It’s probably been mentioned already, however with the current price rise in English players and lack of links to Strikers, would anyone risk taking Gayle back on a 6 month deal until January (with potential to extend)?

I know he has his injury issues, but think it proved towards back end of the season that he has the quality and IF he can stay fit, surely he’s worth a punt on low wages?

FWIW i’ve seen him training in the out of contact players pre season training and he looks fit and ready!

3 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

It’s probably been mentioned already, however with the current price rise in English players and lack of links to Strikers, would anyone risk taking Gayle back on a 6 month deal until January (with potential to extend)?

I know he has his injury issues, but think it proved towards back end of the season that he has the quality and IF he can stay fit, surely he’s worth a punt on low wages?

FWIW i’ve seen him training in the out of contact players pre season training and he looks fit and ready!

If we were to sell Washington and loan our Dajaune Brown then maybe if we were also gonna sign another striker. Even at that I’m not sure, but if we don’t get rid of Washington and Dajaune then no chance.

5 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Can see what Warne means about the English market being bonkers when Sinclair Armstrong is going for £2 million quid

I mean I would say it's a correct fee for someone like him. He has the attributes to do well and has massive potential to improve. He's incredibly good on the ball and a good passer who can hold the ball up well. If he works on his finishing he could easily be a £10m+ player.

Also nowhere near as bad as his wiki looks, I had wikipedia for football stats as it says "61 games" yet he's only made 22 starts and played the equivalent of 25.8 games.

7 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

If we were to sell Washington and loan our Dajaune Brown then maybe if we were also gonna sign another striker. Even at that I’m not sure, but if we don’t get rid of Washington and Dajaune then no chance.

A loan out and wage contribution would be most likely there.  

I loved TME. Remember watching him at CM alongside gorgeous George in a reserve match against Sunderland. If my memory is right it was Thorne’s first game back after that injury. Game was against Sunderland who had a 30 mil Jack Rodwell in their ranks.

TME and GT bossed it from start to finish and I was convinced I’d seen the future. I think @angieram and I waxed lyrical?

Anyway.

Bring him home.

4 hours ago, Fraser_23 said:

I'd rather promote Brown who is young quick and can finish. Use him or lose him. 

15 hours ago, alfaskye said:

Yeah, I think that one that got booted was pure troll.

Are there potential candidates in the SPL that could be a decent shout for a newly promoted championship club? Sure. Can I name any off the top of my head, probably not because I don't really follow the spl beyond hoping both old firm clubs lose every game they play.

European scouting for #9s...

Mojmír Chytil - Slavia Praga (Czechia), 25. 3 sub apps in the Euros. Hood in the air, good defensive contribution, links play, and scores plenty of goals. Way out of our price range?

Anosike Ementa - Viborg (Denmark), 22. A 6'8" giant with great link up play. 10 goals and 6 assists in 35 games. Bought for only £110k last summer but still has 2.5 years left on his contract.

j*** Hornkamp - Heracles (Netherlands), 26. 10 goals and 2 assists in 17 games last season after missing the first half of the season due to an ankle injury. Should be a fan favourite for chants alone...