Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

23 minutes ago, WarCatDCFC said:

We are signing people behind the England cricket team world Cup win what the heck do they know about football and why are signing people who like cricket I know our history was made from cricket team and baseball but why is this club going backwards 

Yeah I feel we are on a sticky wicket at the minute.

29 minutes ago, WarCatDCFC said:

We are signing people behind the England cricket team world Cup win what the heck do they know about football and why are signing people who like cricket I know our history was made from cricket team and baseball but why is this club going backwards 

Do you think they are going to send out goalie out in pads or something?

It's an analysis and performance monitoring team. Data analysis and performance planning is a specific skill set and I think it's a great move.

15 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Do you think they are going to send out goalie out in pads or something?

It's an analysis and performance monitoring team. Data analysis and performance planning is a specific skill set and I think it's a great move.

Data Analysis? Load of B***ocks! Pen and paper is good enough for me!

image.png.758f1722cee256cd9ee8b2972e435329.png

1 hour ago, WarCatDCFC said:

How is the club going backwards? Seems to me the club, in making these appointments, is doing something innovative and forward thinking….which is the complete opposite of “going backwards”

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

1 hour ago, WarCatDCFC said:

So, I see another that another wum has landed on the forum.

13 minutes ago, goodgollymickbrolly said:

Look who you’re replying to…….

Oh I’m all too aware, but in the interest of being kind/civil/open to the views of others I’m interested if there’s an actual rationale behind the statement the club is “going backwards”. 

Lots of fans and posters on here over the years have suggested the club needs to adopt a data driven approach to performance and recruitment in line with Brighton or Brentford (as the often suggested examples), this seems to align with that. Performance analysts (albeit from another sport) who have worked at the top level joining the club doesn’t seem backwards to me so I’d like to hear more about that viewpoint. 

12 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Oh I’m all too aware, but in the interest of being kind/civil/open to the views of others I’m interested if there’s an actual rationale behind the statement the club is “going backwards”. 

Lots of fans and posters on here over the years have suggested the club needs to adopt a data driven approach to performance and recruitment in line with Brighton or Brentford (as the often suggested examples), this seems to align with that. Performance analysts (albeit from another sport) who have worked at the top level joining the club doesn’t seem backwards to me so I’d like to hear more about that viewpoint. 

I’m sure I saw a program, when I was in USA,  about a Baseball team that recruited on the individual performance numbers of players and it worked. The program focused on the numbers but I don’t imagine that you could recruit on performance numbers alone, the character of the person being recruited must be a big factor.

We don’t have a very good record in recruitment, perhaps simply imposing some sort of methodology which attempts to quantify the type of player we need and match that requirement to an available player might be a step in the right direction.

8 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I’m sure I saw a program, when I was in USA,  about a Baseball team that recruited on the individual performance numbers of players and it worked. The program focused on the numbers but I don’t imagine that you could recruit on performance numbers alone, the character of the person being recruited must be a big factor.

We don’t have a very good record in recruitment, perhaps simply imposing some sort of methodology which attempts to quantify the type of player we need and match that requirement to an available player might be a step in the right direction.

Yep, the Oakland A’s (I think) in the early 2000s, they made a film about it starring Brad Pitt (Moneyball). Probably more complex than this but the gist is they used statistical analysis to recruit and give the team an edge that a lack of comparative financial strength couldn’t. 

14 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yep, the Oakland A’s (I think) in the early 2000s, they made a film about it starring Brad Pitt (Moneyball). Probably more complex than this but the gist is they used statistical analysis to recruit and give the team an edge that a lack of comparative financial strength couldn’t. 

I think this guy was mentioned in the program and Billy Beane of the Oakland A’s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_James

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

We don’t have vasts amount of money so if they can get out an extra 1% by playing moneyball then I think it’s a good idea. Sports analysts are a huge part of modern football and recruitment. It’s all data driven these days…. Haven’t you played football manager ☺️

1 minute ago, jimbobram said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if we was after Ali Al-Hamadi from Ipswich. Would be a good addition upfront 

I know Oxford are interested and I had thought he was going there.