Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

17 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Don't disagree and he has been good in a back 5 but would Bradley be starting if Nyambe is fit ?   If we bring a CB in we'd have to drop Nyambe (or Ward and Wilson) or Nelson and it blocks opportunity for Rooney unless he gets a loan 

I think if you move Nelson in the centre he wouldn’t be as effective as his pace and strength in recovery down that right channel is what makes him so good. I think it’s always good to have selection problems rather than look for them.

10 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

We signed 2 players from those clubs last season. I’d say it’s anything but usual.

This is one of those nonsense myths around Warne that some people just won’t drop. Just because the press or questionable football accounts on social media link us with a player doesn’t mean we’ll sign them. Last year we signed players from the following clubs;

Arsenal

Blackpool

Bristol City

Cardiff City

Charlton

Coventry

Hull

Luton

Notts Forest

Peterborough

Rotherham

Stoke

Sunderland

Wigan

The January window the season before we signed players from Norwich and Spurs. We’ve been told the club is looking at players across Europe, yet still some people want to peddle the myth that we only sign Rotherham cast offs 🙄 

8 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

Exactly the type of transfer we don’t need, the ageing former star whose best years are well gone, but still demanding a huge salary. Didn’t we learn the lesson with Hourihane - the legs and the heart have gone.

I am not ITK about Lallana’s huge demands . Or if Hourihane has played enough games to trigger another year on £10k a week while he does his coaching badges. However I saw Ross Barkley almost keep Luton up. A touch of class amongst a load of journeymen is not a bad thing .

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

Exactly the type of transfer we don’t need, the ageing former star whose best years are well gone, but still demanding a huge salary. Didn’t we learn the lesson with Hourihane - the legs and the heart have gone.

His legs might have gone, that’s something we all saw at times this season, but in what way has his heart gone? If you know of a physical ailment that hasn’t been made public please share. If you mean his passion and commitment I think he’s shown plenty of that this season despite his ageing legs, scored key goals, made assists, accepted a reduced role at the back end of the season and still showed leadership to his colleagues from the bench and on the training ground. Baffles me the sticks people invent to beat people with. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

24 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I am not ITK about Lallana’s huge demands . Or if Hourihane has played enough games to trigger another year on £10k a week while he does his coaching badges. However I saw Ross Barkley almost keep Luton up. A touch of class amongst a load of journeymen is not a bad thing .

Ross Barkley was 29 when he signed for Luton. Lallana is 36.

18 minutes ago, Srg said:

Ross Barkley was 29 when he signed for Luton. Lallana is 36.

Doesn’t have to be Lallana . Barkley wouldn’t drop into the Championship. The Prem is 3 leagues better than the Championship , but if we could get a real class player to be our Leader and show us how to play “High Tempo Football” . That would be great. 

10 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Adam Lallana , just released by Brighton . Would take the P in the Championship . IF ,we can get Hourihane off the books . 

Isn’t Hourihane already off the books ? 

I don’t think Lallana is Warne’s sort of chap at all 

Not a suggestion, as such, but one player I expect us to sign this summer is Bobby Clark. Warne has chased him in the past two windows to be knocked back in the end. Ultimately I think there is a lot of appreciation for him as a player as it goes against his mantra of not wanting first time loans. 

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Not a suggestion, as such, but one player I expect us to sign this summer is Bobby Clark. Warne has chased him in the past two windows to be knocked back in the end. Ultimately I think there is a lot of appreciation for him as a player as it goes against his mantra of not wanting first time loans. 

With a new manager and him having played in the first team,  January would be more likely depending on where we are.  New managers tend to hang on to players like band aids to give themselves the best chance of a good start,  even if it's just for cup match cameos.

11 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I think if you move Nelson in the centre he wouldn’t be as effective as his pace and strength in recovery down that right channel is what makes him so good. I think it’s always good to have selection problems rather than look for them.

We'll have to disagree.   I don't see Bradley keeping Nyambe or Nelson out of that back 3.   Yes Coady for Bradley sounds like a useful upgrade but Coady for Nelson or Nyambe not so much - and given his wages it wouldnt be where I'd be spending the budget. 

12 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

Legs gone, but heart hasn’t gone. It’s a shame he has a job as a coach already with Villa as if he is staying, I think he could be of good use to us. He’s been a consistent player all his career and won a number of promotions, he has the mentality that’s needed, it’s just the physicality is going. For what it’s worth I think he’s still been a good captain for us, he’s enjoying the good times, but was equally accountable when things weren’t so good earlier in the season.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-conor-hourihane-message-9283263

31 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Legs gone, but heart hasn’t gone. It’s a shame he has a job as a coach already with Villa as if he is staying, I think he could be of good use to us. He’s been a consistent player all his career and won a number of promotions, he has the mentality that’s needed, it’s just the physicality is going. For what it’s worth I think he’s still been a good captain for us, he’s enjoying the good times, but was equally accountable when things weren’t so good earlier in the season.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-conor-hourihane-message-9283263

He's no spring chicken but we were asking him to play in a position that he's never played.  Chasing back and tackling players who were 10 years younger, two stone heavier and 5 inches bigger than him.  Has bits of Knight about it who apparently didn't create enough or score enough despite spending half his life here out wide, at full back or chasing wide players back under the wing back system last season, despite being in midfield.  He's seen very much as an attacking midfielder at Bristol as he was in his first season here.  He won't play every week but if he is here, play him 20 yards from the opponents goal and he might just get or create 10 very important goals.  Teams won't  be sitting in against us like in League 1.  There'll be less chasing back and more space.  We'll be doing much more countering, rather than pressing, unless big dollars are spent on midfield and attack.

4 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

6 years difference in their ages - Lallana is 36 and I hope (and am confident) we're not considering signing anyone even close to that age!

3 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Doesn’t have to be Lallana . Barkley wouldn’t drop into the Championship. The Prem is 3 leagues better than the Championship , but if we could get a real class player to be our Leader and show us how to play “High Tempo Football” . That would be great. 

This is why I suggested Thomas Delaney earlier in the thread (p54?). If a team has a leader (like we had with Igor) who is a class above, it can take them a long way. And raise the level of the players around. Like Eranio when he came. Obviously also John Gregory dropping down the leagues.

Might we sell someone the Derby dream/project and bring one player in to excite the city?

21 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This is why I suggested Thomas Delaney earlier in the thread (p54?). If a team has a leader (like we had with Igor) who is a class above, it can take them a long way. And raise the level of the players around. Like Eranio when he came. Obviously also John Gregory dropping down the leagues.

Might we sell someone the Derby dream/project and bring one player in to excite the city?

Wayne Rooney is unemployed at the moment

5 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

This is one of those nonsense myths around Warne that some people just won’t drop. Just because the press or questionable football accounts on social media link us with a player doesn’t mean we’ll sign them. Last year we signed players from the following clubs;

Arsenal

Blackpool

Bristol City

Cardiff City

Charlton

Coventry

Hull

Luton

Notts Forest

Peterborough

Rotherham

Stoke

Sunderland

Wigan

The January window the season before we signed players from Norwich and Spurs. We’ve been told the club is looking at players across Europe, yet still some people want to peddle the myth that we only sign Rotherham cast offs 🙄 

Suspect we won’t land Herbie Kane anyway. Strong rumour he’s going to Monte Carlo.

31 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

And to be fair to you, that suggestion is as bad as this one.