Ebou Adams - Signed on 3 year deal

Im glad that we arent just going to pay over the odds, Cardiff are in a position of strength because they will know the Derby fans really want him.

I still believe this will happen but we need to be patient.

If this was the otherway round i would expect Derby to try and maximise the transfer fee also.

Ebou brought huge determination, energy, fight and general dynamism to our team, but I have not been convinced by an equivalent amount of technical ability.

He was the right player at the right time to do a job. And that was a considerable contribution in getting us over the line for automatic promotion, but I've not been convinced we should be back in for him. He played most of his football prone, and good technical players don't do that. 

He seems a good lad to have around, so if the price is right I can see why we'd go back. But I always thought our absolute maximum should be 400k. 

See what happens at the end of the window...

I want Ebou to be in a Rams shirt next season, like everyone else.

But he is 28, will be 29 this season and has been mostly a lower league player. Including last season with us.

There will be no sell on value, and we don’t know if his game will be the same. I’d imagine it would be the same, but you never know. 

I think we do have to be realistic on the value and not overpay for the sake of it. IMO he isn’t worth close to 1mil - if he was 24/25/26yo maybe. 

29 minutes ago, rammieib said:

If Portsmouth bought in an International player on loan in Jan, won the league with him, made a huge impact and became a fans favourite but then we tried to sign them - I think you’d be talking one million.

Championship players cost seven figures I am afraid. We sold Bird for £1.5m!

Question to you - if Ebou was already our player - and someone was trying to buy him from us - how much would you want if you were selling him?

Good point, but he was a player that could not get a game in a struggling Cardiff side.

40 minutes ago, rammieib said:

If Portsmouth bought in an International player on loan in Jan, won the league with him, made a huge impact and became a fans favourite but then we tried to sign them - I think you’d be talking one million.

Question to you - if Ebou was already our player - and someone was trying to buy him from us - how much would you want if you were selling him?

I could be wrong, but I think the real fee for Bird was £300-400k. 

58 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Bird has potential sell on value. Adams is a depreciating asset as his age so his value is inherently lower. One million is a significant outlay for a player with very limited championship experience. Frankly, he isn't worth that much. We're right to stick to our valuation. 

I've said all along this will get done and I'm positive it will. No need to panic at all. 

He hit the ground running last season, we don't need him for pre-season (as nice as it would be) so just let it play out. Focus on the mountain of other work we need to do for now, because playing this stupid game with Cardiff is distracting from the other work we need to do.

20 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I've said all along this will get done and I'm positive it will. No need to panic at all. 

He hit the ground running last season, we don't need him for pre-season (as nice as it would be) so just let it play out. Focus on the mountain of other work we need to do for now, because playing this stupid game with Cardiff is distracting from the other work we need to do.

Why don’t we need him for preseason that’s an odd take

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Is he a championship level player though.  wholehearted yes, wins the ball yes but his retention and passing is average at the level below.  He's worth a million if you've got a few million in ability around to feed of his legwork like Powell. 

22 minutes ago, Mr Ramtastic said:

Why don’t we need him for preseason that’s an odd take

We would love him for preseason, sure, but he signed on the 31st January last season and was our best player on his debut three days later. I feel comfortable that he's a good fit for this team and system. 

Cardiff are obviously overvaluing him because they know how important he was to us - they need to maximise value on assets. We can start to panic when other teams, teams who are willing to pay £1m for him, start coming to the table. 

If that doesn't happen, Cardiff have a decision to make. 

This deal gets done eventually, Cardiff, Derby & Ebou know that, so all the back and forth before hand is simply postering. Both teams are wanting to obviously get the best deal. I think Cardiff are the only team not to sign anyone yet, perhaps their stance changes once they start going out to market. They did finish 12th, but they conceded 70(!) goals and their top goalscorer was the right back with 6. They have a lot of work to do, especially when you consider that the chairman is stating that promotion is the aim.

Adams is more than just a midfield ball winner. His personality is infectious which lifts the performance levels of the rest of the squad. When on a bad run, he's exactly the type of player you want next to you on the pitch because you know he'll never stop fighting.

However, at Championship level I don't currently see him as a regular starter, so the fee we're wiling to pay will reflect that. I hope Cardiff don't leave it to late to reduce the acceptable fee as we will have already started discussions to sign an alternative player.

Ebou was a revelation when he arrived and yes he seems to be a great guy. Maybe he'd be great in the changing room. I'd be relatively happy to see him sign for us.

However let's be realistic....Hes played his career in lower league football. When he got a shot with a "big" club he failed to make an impact and Cardiff were happy to send him to us.

Over a short period he was fundamental to our improvement. No doubt. But that was League 1. Now it's a new challenge.

His game relies on physicality and enthusiasm which he has in abundance. Is that enough to make him a huge asset at Championship level? 

As has been previously pointed out hes 29 in January so if he signs for us he will have no real "sell on value" so whatever he costs won't be recouped. 

The fact that Cardiff are trying to recover as much of their purchase price as possible should be irrelevant to us. All clubs make mistakes on the transfer market.

If we were still in League 1 and could afford him I'd be excited to see him back. But is he the answer in the Championship?

I'm not convinced.

16 minutes ago, jobie said:

Ebou was a revelation when he arrived and yes he seems to be a great guy. Maybe he'd be great in the changing room. I'd be relatively happy to see him sign for us.

However let's be realistic....Hes played his career in lower league football. When he got a shot with a "big" club he failed to make an impact and Cardiff were happy to send him to us.

Over a short period he was fundamental to our improvement. No doubt. But that was League 1. Now it's a new challenge.

His game relies on physicality and enthusiasm which he has in abundance. Is that enough to make him a huge asset at Championship level? 

As has been previously pointed out hes 29 in January so if he signs for us he will have no real "sell on value" so whatever he costs won't be recouped. 

The fact that Cardiff are trying to recover as much of their purchase price as possible should be irrelevant to us. All clubs make mistakes on the transfer market.

If we were still in League 1 and could afford him I'd be excited to see him back. But is he the answer in the Championship?

I'm not convinced.

He failed to make an impact because he had a freak injury ,barely played ,  came to us to get fit. Nothing to do with his ability as a player. 
whether he is good enough in the Champ is an unanswered question.