No midfield control again…

LN747

2 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Results have been good, but there isn't any fixture that I wouldn't expect us to win, apart from Oxford away possibly. 

I disagree that Wilson and Elder have been good. Wilson has 1 goal and 1 assist which isn't good considering he's now meant to be a winger. His shooting is terrible for a winger as well. Elders made numerous mistakes which have led to goals and his general defending is poor.

Who's fault is it that Ward has been disappointing? his crossing would a huge weapon if used correctly. 

I’ll leave it there. We clearly fundamentally disagree about Warne and the players. I think they’ve done well in the circumstances

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I think he has looked at the midfield three before and there were games even with a three in a midfield where we struggled to control proceedings.

I don’t think he is wedded to a two or a three. He (probably) recognises both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I think the bigger issue is a lack of players he can trust to do a job consistently. He comes across as a manager who really needs players he can trust to build the core of the side around.

If he sees that Bird and Hourihane isn’t working, that is the only reason he would persist with it surely?

Hopefully Fornah, Thompson or one of the academy boys steps in, grabs their chance and makes it impossible for him not to trust them moving forwards.

The academy boys have actually got to get on to the pitch  before they can grab their chance.

9 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I wouldn't say Ward, Elder or Wilson have adapted that well.

I like wilson, think he's been pretty good. He is not a defender though. Maybe a wing back at a push, but he is definetely more suited to playing RW/RM

Ward and Elder have largely been 💩

14 hours ago, Jourdan said:

So let’s get this straight, NML has just signed a long-term new contract at the club.

NML is also on for one of the most productive seasons of his career.

Don't you think part of the reason for that is the fact he's dropped down to play in league one, and we have probably the best squad of players in the league playing with him every week?

13 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Rosenior signed the players he signed intending to play them in certain roles. NML had been used as a wing back at Wendy. He refused to sign a new contract as they still wanted him as a WB and he didn't want to play there. Why did he sign for Rosenior? My guess is that LR told him he wanted to play him as a winger. Then we had the managerial change and PW started to play him as a WB. Fortunately, he now sees him as the attacking player he is and plays him, mainly, in attacking roles.

Had PW been in charge in the summer of 2022, I think he would probably have told NML he'd be used as a WB and he wouldn't have signed for Derby. Just my opinion. 

i'll be honest, i don't think warne would have even been in a position to talk to NML about signing for derby in the first place

6 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

i'll be honest, i don't think warne would have even been in a position to talk to NML about signing for derby in the first place

Honestly have no idea why or what you get out of supporting Derby.  Just a constant stream of moans about players or the manager.  You only ever say anything good as a means of slagging off something else.  I get you don't like the manager and there are plenty on here who have relevant things to say in that respect .  Not you though.  Utterly pathetic.

Edited by Blondest Goat

14 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Didn’t we beat Peterborough earlier in the season, scoring 4 goals in the process?

Were we not 2-1 up and leading twice v Peterborough before two defensive lapses cost us the most recent game, the kind of defensive lapses that have nothing to do with a tactical approach?

How will we cope in the Championship? Do you not think we’ll look to invest and add to the squad? Do you not think with contracts running down that the make up of the squad will also change?

Do you not think Warne and the backroom staff will do their homework and try to understand the best approach to take and make the necessary adjustments?

Do you not think crucially we’ll have better players available to us which will also allow us to adopt a different tactical approach more easily or perhaps even improve and refine the desired one?

If we get promoted to the Championship, there will be so much scope for change. But sure, please continue doom mongering.

yes, it was somewhat fortunate though, we should have conceded at least 4 or 5.

If the tactics were in place that our players were comfortable on the ball, they wouldnt panic as much and make anywhere near as many defensive lapses. 

Adding more players to the squad isn't going to change the gameplan or how play.

No, as warne only seems to have one way of playing. Evidence being his entire managerial career up till now.

again no. Same reason as previous answer

Trying to change the way we play when we're already in the championship is too late. We should be working towards that now. 

15 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Honestly have no idea why or what you get out of supporting Derby.  Just a constant stream of moans about players or the manager.  You only ever say anything good as a means of slagging off something else.  I get you don't like the manager and there are plenty on here who have relevant things to say in that respect .  Not you though.  Utterly pathetic.

your happy playing this way and being in league one then are you?

4 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

your happy playing this way and being in league one then are you?

No.  I don't particularly enjoy the way we play but I enjoy us winning and being within touching distance of the automatics. 

For what it's worth I think we'll probably miss out on automatics and probably lose in the playoffs.  I think we're too predictable and inconsistent.  The better teams will be able to nullify our threats and exploit our weaknesses.   It'll be disappointing but not the end of the world.

I just don't feel the need to bitch about it at every opportunity, or twist everything to be a negative about the manager.  Or write off players who have had no time to show what they're capable of.  I just can't see what you're getting out of it.   If I felt like that I'd stop watching / supporting us.

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

I like wilson, think he's been pretty good. He is not a defender though. Maybe a wing back at a push, but he is definetely more suited to playing RW/RM

Ward and Elder have largely been 💩

He has no shooting ability whatsoever 

40 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

No.  I don't particularly enjoy the way we play but I enjoy us winning and being within touching distance of the automatics. 

For what it's worth I think we'll probably miss out on automatics and probably lose in the playoffs.  I think we're too predictable and inconsistent.  The better teams will be able to nullify our threats and exploit our weaknesses.   It'll be disappointing but not the end of the world.

I just don't feel the need to bitch about it at every opportunity, or twist everything to be a negative about the manager.  Or write off players who have had no time to show what they're capable of.  I just can't see what you're getting out of it.   If I felt like that I'd stop watching / supporting us.

so you agree but at the same time don't want us to be better

season 5 thinking GIF by PBS

3 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

surely you know by now, wide players only have one job in this team, cross.

Well he's not that good at that either judging by his 1 assist all season. He's a wing-back.

Blackett-Taylor will be the other winger with NML now anyway

With a manager that played some football...we have a decent squad of players.

With Warne as manager, he just needs fast, athletic, physical players.. which unfortunately isn't most of our players.

He also has a small club mentality and worries about the opposition too much.

Just think he isn't the right man for our club..i hope i am wrong!

8 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Don't you think part of the reason for that is the fact he's dropped down to play in league one, and we have probably the best squad of players in the league playing with him every week?

He was in League 1 the year before he arrived at Derby. Wednesday obviously couldn’t get the best out of him where Rosenior and Warne across two seasons have.

You keep going with that ‘best squad of players in the league’ narrative…hopefully in 17 games’ time it will be true. However we look to be safely in the chasing pack at the moment.

8 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

yes, it was somewhat fortunate though, we should have conceded at least 4 or 5.

If the tactics were in place that our players were comfortable on the ball, they wouldnt panic as much and make anywhere near as many defensive lapses. 

Adding more players to the squad isn't going to change the gameplan or how play.

No, as warne only seems to have one way of playing. Evidence being his entire managerial career up till now.

Trying to change the way we play when we're already in the championship is too late. We should be working towards that now. 

Warne doesn’t have just one way of playing. We played some lovely football during the 15-game run last season, however that was heavily dependent on McGoldrick and Knight bringing balance to the team.

Having not been able to replace those two sufficiently, we have had to try another approach.

I think hopefully things will be easier when the restrictions are lifted and we have more flexibility in the market. Bringing better players into the fold can and will evidently make a difference. A player with the quality of a McGoldrick can bind a team together.

It’s very easy to say we should be working towards a sustainable place in the Championship now. However the phrase trying to run before we can walk would spring to mind.