Reading v Derby match day thread.

Boycie

2 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

TJJ…: always a big BIG gamble to keep him on with all the injuries….

but here we go again….  He’s a true sick note. Feel for him…. But it’s a fact.

Our strikers costing a lot in wages this season but all of them bar Collins in the long-term sick room…

sigh…

Never mind perhaps Brown can help........

1 minute ago, CBRammette said:

I know he didnt sign them all but when PW talks about needing to sign players with the right character - what does he mean exactly? As it doesnt seem to be strength and a winning mentality.

I am just so fed up. There are just so many depressing questions about tonight, I dont know where to start really but as a starter what is going on with Wildsmith? 

I don’t think Warne likes leaders or strong characters who might show him up for what he actually is.

He wants players who tow his line and don’t challenge him

12 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Heck. Haven't the last two games been humbling enough for you? How much more pain do you think we need to suffer? A heavy defeat? Losing at home to Cheltenham? I'm not sure I can take it.😀

No I mean the players don’t seem to have gone back to basics and instead are playing so naively it’s unreal.

Disappointing tonight, but we need to move on, as a team and a fan base, and get behind them on saturday, as the team needs us behind them, need a number 9 now ASAP, as Collins can't do it all on his own, also need some players to stand up and be counted, not good enough tonight 0 shots on target but 18 games left, and plenty of twists and turns yet, need to steady the ship and get 3 points on saturday. 

Gutted for JJ, that could be the last ball he kicks for Derby. 

1 minute ago, CapeTownRams said:

TJJ…: always a big BIG gamble to keep him on with all the injuries….

but here we go again….  He’s a true sick note. Feel for him…. But it’s a fact.

Our strikers costing a lot in wages this season but all of them bar Collins in the long-term sick room…

sigh…

What can be said other than we signed two players who were injured and a fella with no club so would probably have 10 games in him before something went wrong. We also had one of them go off on international duty who hadn't played for about 5 games due to injury.  Not sure how he was released to play. 

It’s probably also worry mentioning, even if it’s a little unpopular because of the Wilson love in, but we’ve missed Nyambe so much these last few weeks.

For the criticism him and Smith get for maybe not being the most exciting players I think ‘Warneball’ or whatever we call this does need players who are comfortable on the ball even if it slows the game down because the other option is a lot more erratic. I don’t think we’ve had any real control of a game since Nyambe went to AFCON

Just now, TuffLuff said:

It’s probably also worry mentioning, even if it’s a little unpopular because of the Wilson love in, but we’ve missed Nyambe so much these last few weeks.

For the criticism him and Smith get for maybe not being the most exciting players I think ‘Warneball’ or whatever we call this does need players who are comfortable on the ball even if it slows the game down because the other option is a lot more erratic. I don’t think we’ve had any real control of a game since Nyambe went to AFCON

Nyambe is our best fullback by an absolute mile! Should be back Saturday shouldn’t he?

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

Hourihane is what he is an ageing but decent enough player who will score a few goals but I don’t see what Bird does apart from the odd bit of nice play he just seems like he doesn’t want to get overly involved doesn’t score but is ok against the weaker teams 

I was definitely expecting more from Hourihane than what we have received. With Bird, i agree, I would happily swap him for a Eustace type but where do we find one of those. 

46 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

More likely he’s a 31 year old player who’s being over-played   Not the only player in his 30s who struggles with the Sat/Tues routine   And then the manager blames the players for lacking intensity. 

Oh come on… he’s only 31 …. I just don’t get this continual acceptance that he somehow can’t in any way play a full season. He’s a professional athlete- very well paid at that.

Same age as Nelson ??? Does Nelson only manage a half season ?

Look at how much effort Collo puts in every game… and his age is…??

I like NML but …. He’s a full-time footballer not a part-time one …we are only half way through the season …

3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think we miss Nyambe, Fozzy and Joe in that settled back five…

20 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

A bottom 6 type of performance tonight. I, along with others call for more play through our midfield. At the same time our midfield is slated. As Warne said in his interview tonight, he didn’t want players to take more than two touches in midfield. So the ball either goes back or fired down the channel. I blame Warne and his coaching staff for not training patterns of play that utilise the midfield (I think he said it was complicated in one of his earlier interviews). He’s made the likes of Bird, a talented player look v ordinary at times 

Bird is ordinary 

Edited by lukedcfc

49 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Happy clappers may not be the right term because it’s naturally divisive but there was, rightly or wrongly, a significant number of posts on our good run sneering at any one who dared to question the manager or want him gone during the highs of defeats to Shrewsbury and Stevenage, as if good results masking at times sub par performances does anything to convince people who have long term doubts about the manager.

Performances being less than convincing even during good runs is a large part of why he has been questioned, certainly by me anyway.

In most games we get by because we have better players than the other team. I don’t see a huge amount of the effects of good coaching, I don’t see many tactical tweaks that gain us an edge. We look like a team who have a bigger budget than the majority of teams at this level, and not much else. I think our manager’s level is about where we are now, which worries me.

But alas he is here to stay. 

No idea what the strategy is. No idea what the tactical approach is, beyond 'put out 11 "good characters", tell them to get it forward quickly, and see what they come up with'.

Eight points off automatic and heading in the wrong direction, despite the manager inheriting a more-than-decent squad, and being given plenty of latitude to sign new players. Odd, piecemeal recruitment with no long-term vision. A squad increasingly tilted towards technically limited, League One journeymen. 

Anyone questioning any of this jeered and sneered at - as if you can't really care about something unless you believe, contrary to all evidence, that everything is absolutely fine!

It isn't. It really isn't. 

Edited by vonwright

4 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

I think we miss Nyambe, Fozzy and Joe in that settled back five…

Wildsmith is an odd one.  I wonder if he's one of those with a contract extension trigger after so many games and were thinking it's a large wage to be utilised elsewhere, or if not,  we've offered terms he hasn't accepted and were trying to break in a new goalie for next season.

37 minutes ago, rammieib said:

LoL you quite literally know that’s exactly how ANY other team gets off a bus as well?

I don't go into work dressed as Ali G with headphones on singing songs littered with obscenities so why should footballers ? It's their place of work. No discipline off the pitch nor on it by the looks of tonight.