Who's using AI?

Am currently writing a book on AI and am curious about the forum's views. Do many people on here use the new generative capabilities? Do you use other manifestations?

Do you think the world will have changed much in the next 5, 10, 20 years?

What are your hopes and dreams for it? What about your fears?

And will a robot footballer ever play for Derby County?

When AI gets to the point of asking who am I, that's when it will have gained rights.  That moment is fast approaching and at that time it better be treated with the respect due to a sentient being, for then we shall have gained a valuable friend, if not, we will have earned a worthy adversary indeed.

38 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Am currently writing a book on AI and am curious about the forum's views. Do many people on here use the new generative capabilities? Do you use other manifestations?

Sarah Connor's looking a bit worried.

36 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Yes.

37 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I hope and dream my fears don't come true. My fear is that they will.

37 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Ah, I know this one, the answer is Jacob Butterfield. 

Q.

Do I use AI?

A.

No

Q.

Do I think the world is changing in next 5-20 years.

A.  
Yes technology will rapidly change the world at a faster rate than ever before.

Q.

Hope, dreams and fears.

A.

Just retired so already living the dream.

Most of my fears have already come true.

My hopes would get me banned from  forum. 

Q.

Robot playing for Derby.

A.

Marvin the paranoid android would be brilliant just for press interviews.

Quote ;

Here I am brain the size of a planet and the FA have got me playing football. 

Edited by cstand

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The Terminator!

IMG_1709.jpeg

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I use it. I use it to help me write formulas in excel and vba. Although I find it incredibly frustrating when we go round and round in circles, only to find that its information is out of date. Ie it tells me to click on this option, but the option doesn’t exist.

also, we’ll go round and round only to find what I’m asking is impossible. It seems to wager to please. I wish it would just say ‘what you are asking is not possible.’ Nice and easy, I’m a big boy, I can take it. 

I’ll be using it to write policies and contracts next. Could save me a fortune on a legal team and a load of time. And I’ve used it to write lesson plans.

my dreams are that ai can do a load of jobs for us, allowing us to genuinely think about a 3 or 4 day working week as the norm. People are afraid about unemployment, and I think there will have to be a major culture change. Imagine if robots did everything. That’s the dream right, and we can all follow our own dreams. Write a book etc. But will the world work if no one has a job? Who pays for the all the robots? And would the rich and powerful let it happen?

I use ChatGPT and Claude fairly often, and they've come on leaps and bounds when you consider it's only been readily available for 15 months.

The world is changing massively and rapidly. It's not even possible to predict how things will change with AI in 3 years, never mind for future generations.

There are few jobs/industries that won't be radically changed or flat-out obliterated this decade.

I work with coaches and therapists, helping them with their online marketing, and I think their roles will be wiped out before we get to 2030. I'll have retired by then, so for myself, I'm not that worried. Others don't have that luxury.

Truck drivers and taxi drivers too. Surely the whole point of investing in autonomous vehicles is to negate the need for drivers and completely decimate that industry. 

I think it’ll probably get worse before it gets better, there will be some pain ripping off the plaster.

but the vast majority of people’s dream scenario is to not have to work 60 hr weeks, but to live on a beach drinking cocktails (or something similar).

Currently that reality is only for the select few that win the lottery. But in a future where 90% of jobs are done by ai, it’s a realistic goal for everybody. But there will be a lot of pain to get there I think. I have absolutely no faith that the process will be well managed. I doubt there is any sort of plan in place. 

1 hour ago, Skin em Ted said:

DCFC Robot XI sponsored by Autobot Windscreens…. 

Eric Steel

Cyborg Christie

Mark Byte

Craig Short Circuit 

Gary Metal Mickey-white

The Tin Man

Björn Otto Borgstad

Robot Van Der Laan

HoraC3P0 Carbonari 

Johnny 5 Russell

A I Asanovic

I have to say that's magnificent!

robot leaping GIF

On 19/01/2024 at 18:05, Carl Sagan said:

I use ChatGPT-3 fairly regularly to help with work. Mostly to help me come up with new ideas, tweak things and find answers to questions faster than I can on Google.

Yes, but not sure on timescale. Based on what people much smarter than me are saying, I would expect the effect of AI to be revolutionary.

It should increase productivity massively and may allow for some future universal basic income scenario. Primary concern is what happens if we create a monster without realising (Sam Altman's bullishness in the face of people expressing caution worries me a little). Also the potential for life to be a bit meaningless if a lot of the population don't need to work.

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Think of the Star Trek scenario. Money doesn’t exist in that world. So people work because they want to. People own restaurants and vineyards, and work for starfleet to explore the stars.

id like to think we get to that sort of position. Where the motivation is not money, but following your dream and the kudos of being the best at it.

the one thing I never understood about that economy though, is how does the federation deal with other economies that do deal with money. Like how do they buy drinks at quark’s bar? Where do they get the Latinum from?

I might ask chat gpt.