Who's using AI?

I use it on a daily basis. I’ll PM you to tell you more when I get a few mins .Having been involved in IT for over 30 years, there are in my mind 3 major step changes I have experienced in that time. The move  from corporate only computers to home computers, the internet and then AI. It is that big a thing.

Anecdote of the day for you. An old neighbour who was involved at the start of IT used to collect copies of Computing or Computer weekly (can’t remember which one). He told me this story about one of the very first copies ran a story which said that the UK would only need something like 3 computers. One for the MOD, one for HMRc and another one some other government office. Nowaday each UK household has more than 3.

I use ChatGPT instead of reading non-fiction books. ChatGPT allows you to cut through the waffle. Yesterday I asked ChatGPT to summarize a book about False Memory. I then asked various questions about the author's conclusions, e.g. "What examples does Dr Julia Shaw give in her book The Memory Illusion to suggest that memory is fallible." In 10 minutes I had the answers I needed. ChatGPT is a tremendous time saver.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Forgot to add another fear, @Carl Sagan. I worry that AI music will have a significant effect on the music and movie industries (and all arts I suppose). When AI art becomes indistinguishable from, and "better" than, human art, where do we go from there?

That's an interesting one. I loved what Nick Cave said about AI songwriting, but also fear he might be wrong in terms of the herd's lazy acceptance of it. Will "generative AI" only ever copy and adapt, or will it actually generate something original? I ask myself the same question in science, when people tell me about the breakthroughs that are apparently coming. Could an AI have created the intellectual cathedral that is Einstein's General Theory of Relativity? And, given this is the theory we now need to replace to gain a deeper understanding of the Universe, how can AI possibly ever have the understanding of what it is doing and proposing, to move us on?

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

And, given this is the theory we now need to replace to gain a deeper understanding of the Universe, how can AI possibly ever have the understanding of what it is doing and proposing, to move us on?

Well that ones easy. Just ask it ‘what is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?’

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I'm all for AI - purely because there's so little of the natural variety.

“We better hope there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space, because there’s bugger all down here on earth.”

@Carl Sagan why not use AI to write your book in 30 seconds? Or are you actually a chatbot bot masquerading as a human? Has AI already taken over and we humans just don't know it yet? We are already sliding on a path to intellectual oblivion!

"I think therefore I am!" will be redundant as most people stopped thinking and replaced it with "Hey Google"! 

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

That's an interesting one. I loved what Nick Cave said about AI songwriting, but also fear he might be wrong in terms of the herd's lazy acceptance of it. Will "generative AI" only ever copy and adapt, or will it actually generate something original? I ask myself the same question in science, when people tell me about the breakthroughs that are apparently coming. Could an AI have created the intellectual cathedral that is Einstein's General Theory of Relativity? And, given this is the theory we now need to replace to gain a deeper understanding of the Universe, how can AI possibly ever have the understanding of what it is doing and proposing, to move us on?

I'm a big Nick Cave fan, but I thought his comments on AI songwriting were a bit short-sighted, in so much as he makes the mistake that most people make when contemplating AI.

That AI could or will become a wholesale replacement for human intelligence (if we let it). We shouldn't even be considering that.

He's right that it would be awful on many levels, but It puzzles me that so few people seem to look beyond that and concentrate on where AI can be useful for, and where we should be harnessing it.

He almost gets it at the end where he picks out one terrible line from the AI song and uses it to frame a joke about his feelings about AI. That's where I'm coming from. To use AI as a spark, or a starting point. Have it generate some nonsense and then pick it apart using your own creativity to make something totally different and unique. You wouldn't have come up with it without AI, but it's not "AI-generated"  - more AI-assisted.

I make similar points to my students about AI programming. Traditionally, the boring bit is sitting down and slogging through writing the code. Then the fun bit is debugging it and refining it, and testing it to make sure it meets the requirements. To use AI for the donkey work and have it churn out a framework of code saves you an enormous amount of time, but that first AI pass of code is never going to work properly, or do exactly what you need - so you get to go straight to the debugging and refining part. In which case you still need to understand the programming language and the theory, concepts, frameworks etc so get learning

AI will not replace humans, but it's a sexy headline to scare people with I guess

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Another one, @Carl Sagan. I can’t figure out whether this is real or not. We’re going to be dealing with that question all the time from now on.

I say deep fake. He didn’t stumble over any words or slander anyone. He’s spouting nonsense, but at least it’s coherent nonsense. 

Trump could do worse than to replace himself with a robot. 

I think stuff like chat gpt etc is pretty powerful. I've been using MS autopilot to help me this week write parts of reports and presentations. We aren't permitted to use chatgpt as it harvests your data.

It's not perfect but it's a good start and edit it to add details, reword etc.

I can see how it impacts jobs though, this is a task that I may have given a junior member of staff..

Edited by alexxxxx

On 25/01/2024 at 14:44, alexxxxx said:

I think stuff like chat gpt etc is pretty powerful. I've been using MS autopilot to help me this week write parts of reports and presentations. We aren't permitted to use chatgpt as it harvests your data.

It's not perfect but it's a good start and edit it to add details, reword etc.

I can see how it impacts jobs though, this is a task that I may have given a junior member of staff..

Serious/not being critical question: so why didn’t you give the task to a more junior member of staff?

I’m old enough to remember computers first coming into the workplace. The chat then was the same as now - we’ll all be redundant/on the beach. What has happened is that jobs have changed and the workplace has changed and skills required have changed in many places but the overall number of jobs have not. Might not the same happen with AI? 

On 22/01/2024 at 23:20, Normanton Lad said:

I use ChatGPT instead of reading non-fiction books. ChatGPT allows you to cut through the waffle. Yesterday I asked ChatGPT to summarize a book about False Memory. I then asked various questions about the author's conclusions, e.g. "What examples does Dr Julia Shaw give in her book The Memory Illusion to suggest that memory is fallible." In 10 minutes I had the answers I needed. ChatGPT is a tremendous time saver.

Yeah, but did you really have the answers you wanted?

How can we be sure?

37 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Serious/not being critical question: so why didn’t you give the task to a more junior member of staff?

I’m old enough to remember computers first coming into the workplace. The chat then was the same as now - we’ll all be redundant/on the beach. What has happened is that jobs have changed and the workplace has changed and skills required have changed in many places but the overall number of jobs have not. Might not the same happen with AI? 

Almost certainly not.

@DarkFruitsRam7 asked about the music industry, and it would be easy to say people said that about cassette taping and then CD burning. And then they said it about synthesisers and computers in general and also about streaming and illegal file sharing.

This is an entirely different animal because it's going to replace the kind of jobs that replaced the ones lost in manufacturing, as well as some left in manufacturing.

This is not remotely like anything we have ever seen before.

Google released this a couple of years ago. Still brand new, but the potential is obvious if not 100% clear.

In my industry (marketing), AI will/is running a sword through designers, photographers, copywriters, branders and web designers.

On 25/01/2024 at 12:49, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Another one, @Carl Sagan. I can’t figure out whether this is real or not. We’re going to be dealing with that question all the time from now on.

I'm fairly sure that's legit because it's been reported on, in terms of what he said.

He's talking from an autocue and staying on message. 

37 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm fairly sure that's legit because it's been reported on, in terms of what he said.

He's talking from an autocue and staying on message. 

The content and his tone of voice, as well as the rise of fake AI footage, made me question it.

Very worrying message IMO. Without wishing to stray into politics, I'm started to get a bit concerned for western democracy.

21 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Very worrying message IMO. Without wishing to stray into politics, I'm started to get a bit concerned for western democracy.

That horse hasn't so much bolted as sold the entire farm and f***** off to the Caymans.

4 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

That horse hasn't so much bolted as sold the entire farm and f***** off to the Caymans.

A lot depends on the outcome of the US election IMO.

And in the UK, which direction the Tories go in, whether Farage is tempted to join them and how Starmer's premiership goes.