Ronan Hale

Jubbs

Gonna be honest, if you're 25 (ignore the article, he's not 22) and still playing at that level, it's highly likely you're not League 1 standard. Happily proven wrong but I don't think he's League 1 promotion standard.

29 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Gonna be honest, if you're 25 (ignore the article, he's not 22) and still playing at that level, it's highly likely you're not League 1 standard. Happily proven wrong but I don't think he's League 1 promotion standard.

Hard to say though, Jamie Vardy was still playing non league at the exact same age.

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

Time after time we see comments like this about not being at this level, it's just words.

No matter what we think, Warne may have looked at him and thought he's all that I need.

Life is a rollercoaster, this I promise you, anyway we've got tonight to worry about first. 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

True, but some players and indeed people, mature later than others. His confidence should be sky high and he may be better prepared for the step up than a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

On the one hand we want decent scouting and the sort of bargains Oxford have been getting in recent years... but on the other hand we want proven talent at this level.

What's it to be?

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Hard to know where a player's ceiling lies until they are tested though, no? This forum is quite bad for writing off players before they've kicked a ball and if you look through previous years, we're not great a spotting who will prosper and who will not and that's putting it mildly. Writing him off based on the fact that he's 25 seems a tad premature to me as we know players mature at differing rates and irrespective, his best years will very likely be ahead of him.

As with any unknown entity and let's be honest, this guy is not known to us, there's no need to be discounting the lad just yet, (or bigging him up for that matter), but with Pompey, Bolton and Derby on the case, the evidence suggests he's doing something right. Likewise, when one considers that there's a strong possibility that the clubs looking at him will not be in L1 next year, does that not imply that said clubs believe he can not only prosper at at this level, but higher too? To be honest, I'm just pleased that we are spreading the net a little wider than has been the case for some time now.

4 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

we want decent scouting and the sort of bargains Oxford have been getting in recent years.

All were below the age of 22. Can you name me 5 successful imports from LOI or NIFL over the past 10 years that have been over the age of 23? Probably not. 

I'm happily proven wrong, but at the moment, we need players that are ready for first team football to help us win promotion. We can develop talents sure, but at 25 if he's not ready for first team football straight away, is it worth the money?

1 hour ago, David said:

You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

Time after time we see comments like this about not being at this level, it's just words.

No matter what we think, Warne may have looked at him and thought he's all that I need.

Life is a rollercoaster, this I promise you, anyway we've got tonight to worry about first. 

A sentiment never more appropriate than when someone goes on to quote (songs sung by) Boyzone/Ronan Keating!

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

On the one hand we want decent scouting and the sort of bargains Oxford have been getting in recent years... but on the other hand we want proven talent at this level.

What's it to be?

There is another option - promising youngsters from leagues such as Ireland and N. Ireland.

Oxford's previous signings from those countries since 2014 were aged 22, 21, 21, 24, 24, 21, 23. Two of those older 3 signings are back in N.Ireland whilst the other had a brief spell in the Championship scoring 2 goals and 2 assists in 53 games (he's a winger)