Nathaniel Mendez-Laing Silly Season

Caerphilly Ram

I think from NMLs perspective if Hull are in they'd be the most tempting, that said its Hull that would surprise me the most if they are in for him. Whom so ever is managing Birmingham come January may want him to fight against relegation, but I'd probably advise staying at Derby and see what close season brings. He's having a good season at Derby, one that can be marketed by his agent come the summer, should we go up or not. For us if he stays and gets us up, job done, we can sit with his representatives and see if we can work something out.

Be surprising if he wasn't linked with other clubs, lazily or not.  In form, pace, experience/success at higher level, physically strong - all qualities that would/will be attractive in the championship.

Whether he wants to go at this stage of a season and go through the whole settling in process again, possibly moving house, leaving behind a bunch of team mates he gets on with is another matter.  So too whether Derby have/want to sell him.  Takes three to make the deal. Any deal.

Mendez-Laing is on track for the most productive season of his career, so it’s inevitable there’ll be January interest.

I think the club will be open to a deal - it would free up some wages and we could possibly use any proceeds to invest in a longer term option in the mould of Kane Wilson.

Of course he would be a loss as no-one wants to lose their most productive player mid-season, however you can see why the club might entertain it.

Mendez-Laing is having a great season but he is the kind of player that could be red hot for 20 games and then go 15-20 games with far lesser output.

I think Derby are in a position to ask for over the odds. If he goes for a free in the summer so be it. I want him to stay, but if you're allowing contracts to run down then that's the inevitable risk. It's perfectly reasonable when we don't know what division we'll be in - although in NML's case I'd be offering him a contract either way.

Basically Liam was asked the question in his presser to which he reacted with complete shock, saying “ I know Nat I haven’t heard that one” said if he was interested in Derby players he’d go straight to the club as still has a good relationship with them - which gives me hope he’s not looking at Derby players 🤞🤞🤞. Be awesome if they’re not in the running for Max.

• 1 month later...

National team of #Guatemala , Nathaniel Méndez-Laing has already accumulated nine goals and 15 assists in all competitions for Derby County this season in England. There are rumors of interest from two interested @MLS teams. #LAFC and #DCUnited .

Almost too niche not to take seriously.

Could see him going. Lifestyle change, much closer to his international commitments.

3 hours ago, cannable said:

National team of #Guatemala , Nathaniel Méndez-Laing has already accumulated nine goals and 15 assists in all competitions for Derby County this season in England. There are rumors of interest from two interested @MLS teams. #LAFC and #DCUnited .

Almost too niche not to take seriously.

Could see him going. Lifestyle change, much closer to his international commitments.

He's just signed a new 2.5 year contract, has finally found a footballing home at the age of 31 and is playing the best football of his career. He's going nowhere, other than to the Championship with Derby.

11 minutes ago, Carnero said:

He's just signed a new 2.5 year contract, has finally found a footballing home at the age of 31 and is playing the best football of his career. He's going nowhere, other than to the Championship with Derby.

Dunno - being a well off citizen of Los Angeles seems rather appealing a move from rainy Derbados!