Aston Villa

Day

22 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I don’t know if we’d be where they are, but they would be where we are. They were all or nothing at the end of their parachute payments and massively over spending. That’s why they had such a good squad. They would’ve been stripped for parts after that season and plummeted. They should build a statue of lampard. 

Weren't our -21 pts for more than just overspending though?

I'd imagine Villa would have had enough about them to have overcome any points deduction handed out to them (Single figures?  Low teens at worse?), and thus avoided admin/relegation to L1.

Technically I'd agree with you, that they'd be where we are (Championship), but I don't think they'd have experienced what we have over the past couple of years.

Anyway, on a more general note, any enemy of Brumshitty is ok by me, so I wish them all the best!  😁 

On 09/12/2023 at 19:45, Day said:

Whatever it was, I am confident to bet my house on this alternative world in that whoever we had available played on that day, we would not have beaten Villa.

I'd put my house on that as well, along with the one that says even if we had beaten Juventus we still would have lost to Ajax (Cruyff et al) in the final. And the one that says a fit Charlie George would not have helped us beat Man Utd in 1976. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

I don’t know if we’d be where they are, but they would be where we are. They were all or nothing at the end of their parachute payments and massively over spending. That’s why they had such a good squad. They would’ve been stripped for parts after that season and plummeted. They should build a statue of lampard. 

I can’t help but wonder where we would be though. Would we still be in the Prem? What on earth did Mel have up his sleeve with signings etc. 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Weren't our -21 pts for more than just overspending though?

I'd imagine Villa would have had enough about them to have overcome any points deduction handed out to them (Single figures?  Low teens at worse?), and thus avoided admin/relegation to L1.

Technically I'd agree with you, that they'd be where we are (Championship), but I don't think they'd have experienced what we have over the past couple of years.

Anyway, on a more general note, any enemy of Brumshitty is ok by me, so I wish them all the best!  😁 

On the local grapevine, it was crucial that villa got promotion that year as they were in serious financial trouble with their previous owner. Many villa fans said what happened to us could have easily happened to them, had we beat them in the play off final. Being in the Premier made them much more attractive to their new megabucks owner. 

Also remember that they stayed up in their first season thanks to the infamous 'no goal' when their keeper carried the ball into the side netting inside the goal.

4 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

You mean the marriott that scored one and was so close to getting another?

Or the marriott that came on and completely changed the play off v leeds with 2 goals?

What if Roos had just extended his arms a bit more? What if the Villa player hadn’t scored with the back of his neck somehow? Would we have beaten West Brom if they’d won the penalty shootout? Anything could’ve happened that game. It’s strange how fine margins can affect so much in football. Not just Derby but also the likes of Watford who got relegated by 1 point the season after.

2 minutes ago, ram59 said:

On the local grapevine, it was crucial that villa got promotion that year as they were in serious financial trouble with their previous owner. Many villa fans said what happened to us could have easily happened to them, had we beat them in the play off final. Being in the Premier made them much more attractive to their new megabucks owner. 

Also remember that they stayed up in their first season thanks to the infamous 'no goal' when their keeper carried the ball into the side netting inside the goal.

That's the one I was thinking off earlier then.

13 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Makes you realise just how lucky they’ve been. Almost as lucky as Forest.

17 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Makes you realise just how lucky they’ve been. Almost as lucky as Forest.

You don't realise how annoying that is to a Derby fan based in Brum, with all the bad fortune that we've had.😡

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I can’t help but wonder where we would be though. Would we still be in the Prem? What on earth did Mel have up his sleeve with signings etc. 

God no, we’d have been going up without our best player, our player of the season, our top-scorer and our manager.

We’d have had to have done a Forest without a manager.

We were up s*** creek.

Edited by cannable

Posted (edited)

Even if we had beaten Villa, we were in a hole then and promotion may not have helped.

If you could go back to one point, it was at the end of 2014/15.

Even if you sack McClaren. Don’t go and spend £25m in one summer on a bunch of random players and hire a manager who’d never managed before.

That summer alone is the primary reason we went down to League One. Every bad decision after that was a consequence of trying to rectify the monumental mistakes made that summer.

Edited by Bris Vegas

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Even if we had beaten Villa, we were in a hole then and promotion may not have helped.

If you could go back to one point, it was at the end of 2014/15.

Even if you sack McClaren. Don’t go and spend £25m in one summer on a bunch of random players and hire a manager who’d never managed before.

That summer alone is the primary reason we went down to League One. Every bad decision after that was a consequence of trying to rectify the monumental mistakes made that summer.

Mind you, what a fun summer it was. 15-year-old me thought we were going to walk the league.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

9 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

What if Roos had just extended his arms a bit more? What if the Villa player hadn’t scored with the back of his neck somehow? Would we have beaten West Brom if they’d won the penalty shootout? Anything could’ve happened that game. It’s strange how fine margins can affect so much in football. Not just Derby but also the likes of Watford who got relegated by 1 point the season after.

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Mind you, what a fun summer it was. 15-year-old me thought we were going to walk the league.

Hugely exciting with the rumours, open chequebook approach.

But it was just plain stupid without a plan.

I still to this day don’t know who signed all those players. Mel was happy to splash the cash, but was it he who identified the players and made the decisions? Rush? Clement? Or some recruitment team who were playing real life football manager?

I made the point many times but they would have had more success picking 10 random forum members as their recruitment team for that summer.

As any sane fan at the time knew the areas we needed to improve and the type of player we needed.

19 hours ago, cannable said:

God no, we’d have been going up without our best player, our player of the season, our top-scorer and our manager.

We’d have had to have done a Forest without a manager.

We were up s*** creek.

I think Lampard probably would’ve still left, but how do you know we wouldn’t resign Mount and Tomori on loan again? Wasn’t a deal already lined up to sign Wilson permanently?

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I still to this day don’t know who signed all those players. Mel was happy to splash the cash, but was it he who identified the players and made the decisions? Rush? Clement? Or some recruitment team who were playing real life football manager?

I remember seeing some pictures/videos at the time which suggested it was literally just Mel and Pearce on their own in a room.

We battered Leeds second half with a diamond in the second half in the playoff semi. Johnson at the back, Wilson and Mount in the middle and Lawrence at the tip. We played with Bennett and Marriott up front and it worked so well.

Lamps decided to ditch that to play Huddlestone and Johnson as two DM's in the final, which was even more of a bad decision to me than not starting Marriott that day. I think he must have forgotten that formation and personnel when he went on the p*** with the team that night or when Chelsea came sniffing for him.

4 hours ago, JPRamFan said:

We battered Leeds second half with a diamond in the second half in the playoff semi. Johnson at the back, Wilson and Mount in the middle and Lawrence at the tip. We played with Bennett and Marriott up front and it worked so well.

Lamps decided to ditch that to play Huddlestone and Johnson as two DM's in the final, which was even more of a bad decision to me than not starting Marriott that day. I think he must have forgotten that formation and personnel when he went on the p*** with the team that night or when Chelsea came sniffing for him.

Perhaps he'd had a call from Gareth Southgate..."just giving you a bell to wish you luck Frank. Don't forget, 2 dms is the way to play one-off games. It's working for me with England....I gave Croatia a good game last year."

• 2 weeks later...

Always believed Lampards game plan was to stifle Villa in the first half. Then catch them out in the second half with a couple of substitution and a change of formation five minutes into the second half. 

But the their goal before half-time messed that plan up.