Aston Villa

Day

21 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm looking at their respective goal stats.  The firestarter is someway behind.  Probably because he's cack.

Right. In terms of attacking options to get promotion to the Premier League, both were cack.

2 goals in 32 Championship games following that season. 

16 minutes ago, David said:

Right. In terms of attacking options to get promotion to the Premier League, both were cack.

2 goals in 32 Championship games following that season. 

All opinions .  For me Marriott was a far better player than Bennett but needed a midfielder like Mount to be on his wavelength.  3 goals in the playoffs.  Goals against Chelsea, Man Utd and Southampton and a superb finish against table topping Norwich.  Bennett did get a wonder goal against Wigan that he didn't mean to score I suppose.

Villa have gone from strength to strength with their ownership and some luck (Sheff United game on Covid restart), we would’ve most likely been relegated with Mel at the helm. 

Let’s get it right, Villa are a massive club, they belong at the top table. Makes me laugh that the red dogs think they are equivalent. They are not even close. 

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Villa have gone from strength to strength with their ownership and some luck (Sheff United game on Covid restart), we would’ve most likely been relegated with Mel at the helm. 

Let’s get it right, Villa are a massive club, they belong at the top table. Makes me laugh that the red dogs think they are equivalent. They are not even close. 

Villa staying up that season was pretty much the final straw in where I realized there is little justice in football.

I actually like the fact they are up there now though.

Rather them than somebody like Chelsea.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Remember when we played Franks favourite up top.

image.thumb.png.8e7a0b9a5b0e4cd7637198074fe9b1f2.png

I'm sorry but Mason Bennet deserved to start the final, he had probably his best game for us in the semi final against Leeds, he played a big part in the first goal and won the penalty. His harassment and harrying of their defenders played a big part in their capitulation.

It always amazes me how it isn't picked up that the error was changing the dynamic of the midfield was a major factor to our performance against Villa, for me the inclusion of Huddlestone was more detrimental to our performance than Bennett starting. 

1 hour ago, rynny said:

I'm sorry but Mason Bennet deserved to start the final, he had probably his best game for us in the semi final against Leeds, he played a big part in the first goal and won the penalty. His harassment and harrying of their defenders played a big part in their capitulation.

It always amazes me how it isn't picked up that the error was changing the dynamic of the midfield was a major factor to our performance against Villa, for me the inclusion of Huddlestone was more detrimental to our performance than Bennett starting. 

All opinions.  Marriott's two goals deserved the start.  He terrified Mings when he came on when his afternoon had been that easy he was living on the halfway line.  No other manager would have left a striker on the bench that full of confidence unless it was a personal dislike.  Incomprehensible to me then and now.    

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Villa staying up that season was pretty much the final straw in where I realized there is little justice in football.

Always remember journey back after the playoff final. The Villa fans were decent, good banter before the game also. Much prefer them to the bluenoses.

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Same. A part of me will always dislike Villa for their blatant disregard the financial rules. They totally gambled and won by the skin of their teeth. I would’ve liked nothing more that season than to see than crash and burn into oblivion, they would’ve been absolutely screwed.

but now they’re up there, I’m quite enjoying what they’re doing. 

Edited by TigerTedd

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

All opinions.  Marriott's two goals deserved the start.  He terrified Mings when he came on when his afternoon had been that easy he was living on the halfway line.  No other manager would have left a striker on the bench that full of confidence unless it was a personal dislike.  Incomprehensible to me then and now.    

Yes Marriott deserved to start as well. For me the team should have been the one that we had on the field when Holmes went off injured against Leeds (bar, obviously, Cole for the suspended Malone) we should have kept the midfield 3 of Johnson, Mount and Wilson, Lawrence at the tip of the diamond and Marriott and Bennett up top.

It wasn't personal against Marriott, it was Lampard being cautious and putting a less attacking team out.

7 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Same. A part of me will always dislike Villa for their blatant disregard the financial rules. They totally gambled and won by the skin of their teeth. I would’ve liked nothing more that season than to see than crash and burn into oblivion, they would’ve been absolutely screwed.

but now they’re up there, I’m quite enjoying what they’re doing. 

Their fans are the forest fans of the West Midlands, constantly harping on about their European triumph over 40 years ago. The only good thing about their current position is that it makes the Bluenoses' current suffering under Rooney, all the more painful.

14 hours ago, rynny said:

Ashley Cole at left back as well. Malone getting sent off in the last minute v Leeds was a killer. Played a diamond midfield in the final with a left back who couldn’t get out our half.