Cruz Allen

Arsene Titman

38 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Yeah, they'll whisk him into their first XI pdq, just like all those other lads who've left us for PL teams before their 17th birthdays.......

Kaide Gordon has made as many senior appearances for Liverpool in the last 2.5 seasons as Darren Robinson has here. Liam Delap is a bit older, but has played more times for Man City than Darren Robinson has for us.  Omari Kellyman has already played twice for Villa's first team.

45 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Kaide Gordon has made as many senior appearances for Liverpool in the last 2.5 seasons as Darren Robinson has here. Liam Delap is a bit older, but has played more times for Man City than Darren Robinson has for us.  Omari Kellyman has already played twice for Villa's first team.

None of them are anywhere near double figures for their parent clubs though, are they? Kellyman seems currently closest to making the grade and Gordon's been unlucky with injury, but I doubt that Delap will ever play a first team game for Man City again. Others who've moved on at their ages are still playing at youth level.

Whilst I enjoyed Darren Robinson's performance against Wolves, they were an U21 side and his occasional appearances in midfield have been steady rather than stunning. I haven't seen enough from him yet to suggest he's a better option at L1 level than what we already have. I'd be happy for him to get game time, but in Warne's position I don't think I'd be picking him over more experienced players just yet.

Of course, any young player is likely to have his head turned if PL money comes knocking, but if they've got the right advisers they'll also know about the pitfalls.

Been discussed before, but we had ZERO chance of keeping hold of Gordon, Delap and Kellyman (unless you argue, reasonably that if we were better run and not gone into admin, the administrators would not have had chance to sell him).

Realistically if we turn up genuine superstars from the academy then whatever DCFC do, there is a high probability of them being poached. They tried very hard with Gordon and failed.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Yeah, they'll whisk him into their first XI pdq, just like all those other lads who've left us for PL teams before their 17th birthdays.......

Derby have already offered him a professional contract for when he turns 17 which means that if a club comes in now then we can demand a transfer fee.

4 minutes ago, Banksy said:

Derby have already offered him a professional contract for when he turns 17 which means that if a club comes in now then we can demand a transfer fee.

Yes, I think it's more that we are entitled to compensation but like the others there's a good chance we can negotiate a better fee if more than one club is after him. I'd still like to see kids like this stay and play for Derby, but understand that at L1 level it's harder to say no. 

Whilst I think it's hard for a manager to give really young players a chance when half the fanbase MLF when we don't play teams off the park, if there's genuine interest from other clubs its in DCFC interest to involve them with the 1st team squad. That's something for the owner to offer assurance to the manager about.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

None of them are anywhere near double figures for their parent clubs though, are they? Kellyman seems currently closest to making the grade and Gordon's been unlucky with injury, but I doubt that Delap will ever play a first team game for Man City again. Others who've moved on at their ages are still playing at youth level.

Whilst I enjoyed Darren Robinson's performance against Wolves, they were an U21 side and his occasional appearances in midfield have been steady rather than stunning. I haven't seen enough from him yet to suggest he's a better option at L1 level than what we already have. I'd be happy for him to get game time, but in Warne's position I don't think I'd be picking him over more experienced players just yet.

Of course, any young player is likely to have his head turned if PL money comes knocking, but if they've got the right advisers they'll also know about the pitfalls.

We don't actually have any clue what Robinson is like at League One level, because he's literally played zero minutes in that competition.  So if you're a Derby youth player, and you're looking at stuff like that, and the way Weston was used (or wasn't used, to be more precise), then what are the pitfalls of leaving?  You may as well go and not play for a Prem club's first team than stay and not play for a League One team's one.  And the worst case, you end up out on loan like Delap and make a decent Championship career out of it.

It's not even about whether Robinson is actually good enough *right now*, it's about giving him the chance to turn into a player that's good enough in the future.  Max Bird's early appearances were pretty poor too, but we stuck with him, gave him chances, let him develop, and he's turned into an excellent player.  

25 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Because of his age it’s highly unlikely Derby have a say in his decision. No doubt wel offer him a pro deal it’s up to him who he chooses.  

I agree, his parents and no doubt he’ll have an agent will have a big say.

But, I can’t blame the lad, he’s living the dream at the moment.

If he has to go then we need a decent prospect loaned back at no fee, on top of the compo. So sick of the big clubs just siphoning off all the young talent for beans, then sticking them in cold storage for 3 or 4 years before flogging them off at profit, having never let them play at senior level.

This independent review needs to sort this sooner rather than later as it's a crooked game right now. That said, if the lad wants away, there's really not a lot we can do, but it makes me sad to see these players leave without ever even getting near to the men's team.