Style vs results?

Damon1985

9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Agreed, the season is 46 matches so I'm glad that we agree that its way too early to be making judgements 👍

Our failings span over 2 seasons since March 23. 

BUT, let’s forget about that bit and concentrate on a smaller number of games where we’ve still had some terrible performances. 

5th in the league form table 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 who are you trying to kid apart from yourself 

9 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

BUT, let’s forget about that bit and concentrate on a smaller number of games where we’ve still had some terrible performances. 

5th in the league form table 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 who are you trying to kid apart from yourself 

Last season he didn't have any of his own signings.

Well yes, Id prefer to concentrate on this season where he has had his own team, albeit one ravaged by injury. But you concentrate on last season if it helps your agenda.

So are we not 5th in the form table then?

15 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Last season is done, and whilst it’s a fair observation that our performances have been inconsistent since then, there is still an opportunity to change THIS season’s form, performances, results, and yes for those who are desperate for it…perhaps even the manager.
My thoughts both for those so keen to wallow in their perceived realism of how terrible and miserable life is as a Derby fan and those who feel less fed up with it all, there’s still room for some optimism in this season. We could still see an improvement in performances, consistency, the health of players currently at the squad etc and we could also see a change of manager if the team doesn’t look to be heading in the right direction closer to the business end of the season. 
There’s not yet enough wrong at the club or with the team to completely write this season off. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

18 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Last season is done, and whilst it’s a fair observation that our performances have been inconsistent since then, there is still an opportunity to change THIS season’s form, performances, results, and yes for those who are desperate for it…perhaps even the manager.
My thoughts both for those so keen to wallow in their perceived realism of how terrible and miserable life is as a Derby fan and those who feel less fed up with it all, there’s still room for some optimism in this season. We could still see an improvement in performances, consistency, the health of players currently at the squad etc and we could also see a change of manager if the team doesn’t look to be heading in the right direction closer to the business end of the season. 
There’s not yet enough wrong at the club or with the team to completely write this season off. 

Don’t want to write the season off, why would we. 

Perhaps just write off the ones who aren’t too good at their job. 

25 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Would that be Warnes "injury ravaged" signings, or the ones he didn't sign who underwhelmed last season (but keep getting picked this time).

Or shall we see what our traditional February collapse serves up?😉

50 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Don’t want to write the season off, why would we. 

Just looking to promote a tiny bit of balance to the dialogue on here as this last week or so has felt once more like a massive pile on after the Crewe result. 

Despite however unlikely some people might think it is, there is still a possibility of a successful league campaign whether that’s with Warne as the manager or someone else. Plenty of games and points left to play for, if you somehow find that laughable that’s up to you. 

59 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Just looking to promote a tiny bit of balance to the dialogue on here as this last week or so has felt once more like a massive pile on after the Crewe result. 

Despite however unlikely some people might think it is, there is still a possibility of a successful league campaign whether that’s with Warne as the manager or someone else. Plenty of games and points left to play for, if you somehow find that laughable that’s up to you. 

Let's just hope for a fantastic win today. 

I like watching attractive football but I if come away from the game, having seen a win and the accumulation of another three points, I don't care about the style of play the team are producing.

At times we are failing to do either. Irrelative of what style of football is played, it's the midfield that as the responsibility on the pitch to make this style a winning style. Unfortunately our midfield are to often not coming up to the mark required.

Style is less important than scalability and adaptability.

An 'unattractive' style of play can get just as far as any other, as long as the manager applying that style understands how to make small tactical tweaks neeeed so it can be effective against different types of opposition, and how to evolve the squad so it can be effective against a higher quality of opposition.

There's no use playing unattractive football just to get yourself out of a division if you can't level it up, and while I don't think Warne's football is ugly (when it works) the lack of scalability has been obvious every time he's made that step up and the lack of tactical adaptability is currently seeing any us struggle to do anything against certain types of opposition.

Sorting out the latter is key to getting up, sorting out the former is key to staying up.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

Well, today's game is a fine example of this. Brilliant character to instantly reply to that goal, but never really felt like we had a grip on the game.

Playing badly and winning is still, obviously, much better than playing badly and losing/drawing. The dream is to play well and win every week, but that does feel like a big ask.

Scrappy, horrible game today but the three points are vital. Top 6, 6 points off auto's. 

Every promotion we've had in my lifetime has been littered with games like this.

So yeah, we all want to play lovely football but if that's not possible then we need to fight and scrap for 100 minutes every match, which we did today.

On 24/11/2023 at 20:11, Damon1985 said:

Just watched the Luton programme on Sky Sports, Is there a more extreme example of decline / rise?! 

The most interesting point was " we realised we couldn't play attractive football" when they were at rock bottom. Now I know we haven't sunk to the conference but we have sunk to our rock bottom!

I think my point is, what if the football we aspire to play like is not possible in our current situation? And to make it worse, what happens if some of our players are above that?! The only situation of DCFC that is consistent is our midfield and despite our recruitment... bird, smith and hourihane seem like our first choice... the same trio that struggled often!

Going back to the title... what would you prefer? 

Is style possible in league one?! 

i think one of the key differences is that luton were/are never a big fish in a small pond

to answer your question, style. 

If the style is good enough, the results will follow

Edited by Chris_Martin