Style vs results?

Damon1985

Just watched the Luton programme on Sky Sports, Is there a more extreme example of decline / rise?! 

The most interesting point was " we realised we couldn't play attractive football" when they were at rock bottom. Now I know we haven't sunk to the conference but we have sunk to our rock bottom!

I think my point is, what if the football we aspire to play like is not possible in our current situation? And to make it worse, what happens if some of our players are above that?! The only situation of DCFC that is consistent is our midfield and despite our recruitment... bird, smith and hourihane seem like our first choice... the same trio that struggled often!

Going back to the title... what would you prefer? 

Is style possible in league one?! 

6 minutes ago, Damon1985 said:

Just watched the Luton programme on Sky Sports, Is there a more extreme example of decline / rise?! 

The most interesting point was " we realised we couldn't play attractive football" when they were at rock bottom. Now I know we haven't sunk to the conference but we have sunk to our rock bottom!

I think my point is, what if the football we aspire to play like is not possible in our current situation? And to make it worse, what happens if some of our players are above that?! The only situation of DCFC that is consistent is our midfield and despite our recruitment... bird, smith and hourihane seem like our first choice... the same trio that struggled often!

It’s like saying Man City would struggle with the team they have in league one. 

We’re playing football not rugby. Get it on the floor, pass it around and create opportunities to score. Football is simple. 

13 minutes ago, Damon1985 said:

This is the BIG problem bird, smith and Hourihane in any league is a poor combination!

‘We realise we can’t play attractive football’ so we play s**** football and we’re still poor and can’t get consistent results.
Surely this is trying to tell us something, no?

9 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

More than anything, just get your players doing what they’re good at.  We’ve got arguably the best set of midfield passers in the league, and a manager that’s basically telling them not to pass it to each other. It’s no wonder they’re struggling. 

Do you have anything to back this statement up?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Do you have anything to back this statement up?

The fact he repeatedly goes on the radio and says he wants the ball playing wide as quickly as possible, the post Cheltenham comments about not wanting the ball played in the middle because it’s too congested, and literally watching the team play for the last year.

Just now, duncanjwitham said:

The fact he repeatedly goes on the radio and says he wants the ball playing wide as quickly as possible, the post Cheltenham comments about not wanting the ball played in the middle because it’s too congested, and literally watching the team play for the last year.

He wants the ball playing to our forwards? That's ridiculous. 

I'm with you, just want to watch Bird, Hourihane and Smith playing it between themselves.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He wants the ball playing to our forwards? That's ridiculous. 

I'm with you, just want to watch Bird, Hourihane and Smith playing it between themselves.

It’s infinitely preferable (IMO anyway) to the aimless balls over the top, and quick passes out wide followed by crosses to nobody that dominate our play at the moment.

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

It’s infinitely preferable (IMO anyway) to the aimless balls over the top, and quick passes out wide followed by crosses to nobody that dominate our play at the moment.

Barnsley 3 - 0

Northampton 4 - 0

Exeter 2 - 0

Imagine how good our home form will be when we cut out these aimless balls over the top and quick passes out wide that dominate our play.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Barnsley 3 - 0

Northampton 4 - 0

Exeter 2 - 0

Imagine how good our home form will be when we cut out these aimless balls over the top and quick passes out wide that dominate our play.

Like I’ve said a hundred times on here, when teams stand off us, we pass it round a bit and look okay. The moment a team makes the slightest effort to stop us doing that, we immediately resort to the other stuff and look terrible.  Crewe the other night being an obvious example.  And by and large, teams at this level are going to be trying to stop us playing because we’re one of the biggest teams in the league.

It's easier to forgive a pretty team for their failings that is one that isn't pretty.

It's never really a one or the other trade off though is it, it's usually the manger's preferred style either gets results or it doesn't and if it doesn't get results, do they stick to their guns on style, or do they go (usually) back to basics and get a few wins onve the line.

30 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Agreed, the season is 46 matches so I'm glad that we agree that its way too early to be making judgements 👍

Agreed, Sheff Wed had the league done and dusted in January last season, but didn't receive the trophy for winning the league for some reason.🤔