Derby County Versus Crewe Alexandra - Match Day Thread - ( FA Cup 1st Rd Replay )

S8TY

47 minutes ago, Archied said:

I wasn’t there and didn’t see it but here’s the thing , I have a choice , trust the opinion of some who watched the game and don’t miss too many games or someone who doesn’t go to games ,🤷‍♂️, no offence Roy but surely you can see how that works ,

I’ve been struggling to read threads lately as it’s such a downer but noticed that there quite a few who don’t even go to games wanting the manager sacked because we aren’t a good enough watch 🤷‍♂️

I have to actually GO to matches then, not just watch every one that is on RamsTV or ITVX? Righteo. The Crewe game was the only one not on tv. And my point stands, there is more to a players performance than how much they run around. Consider the players might have the same downer that you have! 😄

The forum is for you a downer because the comments reflect that we are nothing but a poor imitation of Rotherham, with a manager who's tactics are one dimensional and isn't doing that well with a good budget and a 'big club'.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I have to actually GO to matches then, not just watch every one that is on RamsTV or ITVX? Righteo. The Crewe game was the only one not on tv. And my point stands, there is more to a players performance than how much they run around. Consider the players might have the same downer that you have! 😄

The forum is for you a downer because the comments reflect that we are nothing but a poor imitation of Rotherham, with a manager who's tactics are one dimensional and isn't doing that well with a good budget and a 'big club'.

Frustrated Fuck My Life GIF

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do you think that the only way it is obvious a player is trying is when you see their legs move? 😄 You do know that the brain has an influence too?

Hourihane is being asked to play in a way that doesn't suit him, he's said so. He's also not as young as he was but still was made to play when others could have. His mental strength might not also be what it was. He strikes me a decent bloke but you think he wasn't trying. I disagree.

I know its obvious when a player is putting in proper challenges or half heartedly.

Once again I'd invite you to look at Crewes 2nd goal and tell me Hourihane is busting a gut to stop them from scoring. 

Its not just this game.

I actually thought a big reason behind our improved performances was Hourihane actually putting himself about and tackling.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I know its obvious when a player is putting in proper challenges or half heartedly.

Once again I'd invite you to look at Crewes 2nd goal and tell me Hourihane is busting a gut to stop them from scoring. 

Its not just this game.

I actually thought a big reason behind our improved performances was Hourihane actually putting himself about and tackling.

Actually, although Hourihane leaving it all out on the pitch did help, the real reason for the improved performances was the team playing through midfield, and Collins actually being in the box. 

We ought to think ourselves lucky that we actually got two games of improved performances before reverting to type. At Crewe away it took ys 88 minutes to try playing through the middle, then lo and behold we scored two goals. And in the replay we didn’t do “through the middle” at at all and guess what? We didn’t score!

57 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Its not just this game.

I've seen the goals, ours too. As I said if you think that it's easy attempting to play a game that you're not the best at - ie Collins as a winger! - and you can do it consistently, that's up to you. As I said I don't agree. But you blame Hourihane for the performance then, it makes a change from it being Sibley's fault. 😄

On 15/11/2023 at 19:49, LeedsCityRam said:

Its definitely this point that has annoyed me the most & its on two levels.

Firstly, it didn't take too much thinking to conclude that the first team may not have been mentally up for last night's game given they'd just beaten a top 6 rival 3 days earlier in front of 28k & with an international break looming. That game was crying out for players for whom it would be a big deal - i.e. fringe players & especially the Academy lads, to match Crewe's enthusiasm. If we had played Fapetu, Weston & Robinson from the start, I honestly wouldn't have minded if we'd been beat 0-3 & I suspect I'm not alone in thinking that.

The second point is with regard to the long term development of youth players at a club that prides itself in having a Category 1 Academy. So far this season the kids have been trusted with one game - against a Wolves under 21 side who needed a big win to knock us out. That doesn't really come across as a serious pathway for what are clearly some talented players & as you rightly say, investment this season could accelerate their development in time for next summer. The 2021-22 season under Rooney showed how fast young players can develop when given opportunities - Ebiowei, Plange, Ebosele, Cashin & Thompson all came from nowhere to make first team contributions simply because they got the gametime to make mistakes & learn. Philip Cocu would also have played kids last night (and I suspect in the League Cup & throughout the EFL Trophy too) - picking Bird, Sibley & Knight away at Forest in League Cup in late 2019 was heavily criticised at the time but all 3 were making telling first XI contributions 3/4 months later.

We do not have the right manager in charge to develop youth & this is at odds with where the club wants & needs to go long term in order to be sustainable.

Brilliant post well said 

On 16/11/2023 at 19:55, RoyMac5 said:

He's younger than Wilson, he's never had a run of games anywhere other than fullback. He scores goals and provides assists, he runs at players. He gets stick for not being f****** Superman in the 10 minutes he gets here and there. His every mistake is examined in minutiae. But yeah you know what he's not better than Bellingham. 

too right

On 15/11/2023 at 20:49, LeedsCityRam said:

We do not have the right manager in charge to develop youth & this is at odds with where the club wants & needs to go long term in order to be sustainable.

Presuming Warne is working to an agreed remit, either the club owner agrees with the strategy, or will be asking some serious questions. 

14 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I've seen the goals, ours too. As I said if you think that it's easy attempting to play a game that you're not the best at - ie Collins as a winger! - and you can do it consistently, that's up to you. As I said I don't agree. But you blame Hourihane for the performance then, it makes a change from it being Sibley's fault. 😄

Yeah you're right it really isn't easy to tackle, probably Warne's fault for not teaching him in training.

Also Warne has already said that he wants Collins to stay between the posts.

Nowhere have I blamed Hourihane for the whole performance, just pointed out his half hearted display contributed to their first 2 goals.

You saw it differently over the radio, I disagree.

15 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Actually, although Hourihane leaving it all out on the pitch did help, the real reason for the improved performances was the team playing through midfield, and Collins actually being in the box. 

We ought to think ourselves lucky that we actually got two games of improved performances before reverting to type. At Crewe away it took ys 88 minutes to try playing through the middle, then lo and behold we scored two goals. And in the replay we didn’t do “through the middle” at at all and guess what? We didn’t score!

At Crewe away both of our goals came from out wide?

On 16/11/2023 at 23:04, DavesaRam said:

In addition he gets slagged off for not making the most of the opportunities he’s given, but when he finally gets on the pitch its either an end-of-match cameo or in the wrong  position. Or if he is actually in his best, No. 10 position its in yet another match where Warne has got his team to by-pass midfield. And all the time he is looking over his shoulder  because even if he scores two goals, or gets an assist he is likely to get hooked because he gets shat on as soon as Warne’s backside starts to blow. All the time watching Hourihane ambling around like he’s on crutches yet still guaranteed his place in the next match.

Give him a fair crack at number 10, oh and use your #**{<€ midfield, for goodness sake while you are at it,  with a fair crack being at least half the number of matches given Hourihane despite his hit or miss performances.

If he had game changing talent on a consistent basis it would have been evident by now. I Don’t buy the arguments. No doubt at all he is a useful player and has done some good things. I am more than happy when he’s in our team but I don’t lean forward in my seat and go “great, Sibs is in, light the blue touch paper.” .. He’s a good lad, a good player but golden child, misused genius  ? Nope !  

1 hour ago, jono said:

If he had game changing talent on a consistent basis it would have been evident by now. I Don’t buy the arguments. No doubt at all he is a useful player and has done some good things. I am more than happy when he’s in our team but I don’t lean forward in my seat and go “great, Sibs is in, light the blue touch paper.” .. He’s a good lad, a good player but golden child, misused genius  ? Nope !  

It may well seem to be heading that way. But it would have been that way if, after only being on for 7 minutes, his crossbar-hitting shot had gone in! Here's a suggestion - give him the same opportunity as is afforded to Hourihane (such that if he has a duff match he won't be hooked, because Hourihane hardly ever is) so that he gets a run of games where he is supposed to be played. And, as I have said several times before if he turns out to be a "boy ordinary", then fair enough, keep treating him the way he is being treated at the moment.

If I were his agent I would be shifting heaven and high water to get him in somewhere else where they want a footballer instead of a marathon runner. It isn't as though we have wasted other players by putting them in the wrong place and wondering why they aren't doing better - the last one was Weimman, who went to Brizzle and started  scoring for fun. We also trashed Lee Holmes' head many years ago, from which he never recovered. As i said, give Sibbo a chance and if he's no good, then by all means bin him.