Most memorable FA Cup matches

Wistaston Ram

23 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

I have fond memories of that game too. It was the first away game I went to on my own as a teenager. Got lost on the long walk from the railway station and ended up at Cambridge City's ground! Fortunately a car full of Derby fans made the same mistake and gave me a lift to the Abbey Stadium.

We went to Camb city that day too! But in car with my dad muttering

2 hours ago, gfs1ram said:

January 1971.  Derby 2 Wolves 1

Super atmosphere, the mud, that pitch and a last minute winner. Can still see John O'Hare cheesing the ball in !!

Following the final whistle of this game there was a mass invasion of the pitch by the Wolves fans which was met by the Derby fans on the pitch with the police trying to keep them apart - I know, because I was amongst it.

43 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

At the (School days) time, no... Just off the bottom of Scabby Rise, so Breadsall Estate (Not Village).

Have been Chad since 1980 though, starting just up the road from you on Winster.  I'm down at the rough end now, too close for comfort to Beaufort St!  🤣

🍻

My dad ran a mobile shop business all over Chaddesden, but not sure if it went all the way to the bottom of Scarborough Rise. 

My brother and I made the mistake of riding our newly acquired but distinctly second-hand pushbikes around the Beaufort Street area (Cowley Road(?) actually, and got beaten up and had the bikes stolen. But at least we had bikes for two days, so not bad for Chadd!

6 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

My dad ran a mobile shop business all over Chaddesden, but not sure if it went all the way to the bottom of Scarborough Rise. 

My brother and I made the mistake of riding our newly acquired but distinctly second-hand pushbikes around the Beaufort Street area (Cowley Road(?) actually, and got beaten up and had the bikes stolen. But at least we had bikes for two days, so not bad for Chadd!

I can’t remember a mobile shop being around Scarborough Rise, but when I used to go round my cousins on Matlock road we’d often go on the mobile van that did the rounds around that area 

1 hour ago, Henrycav81 said:

I can’t remember a mobile shop being around Scarborough Rise, but when I used to go round my cousins on Matlock road we’d often go on the mobile van that did the rounds around that area 

That may well have been the one. It was a VW van /camper, and much of his custom was actually door to door, and he ran the business from about 1965 up until about 1974 - 5. He sold cleaning and household products under the Gaysan name, and then the Welclene name. He also sold Carters pop on Saturdays.

There was also a big Green converted bus that sold green groceries in a similar area.

35 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

2-0 v Forest is my standout memory from my youth. 
Back then the FA cup was more prestigious.

Yes great game, think it was 1982, and Archie Gemmill  scored for the Rams from a free kick, Peter Taylor was the manager I think, the pitch did not hardly have any grass on it but who cared we beat the red dogs in the FA cup. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

3 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

The worst memory was the semi final against Manure, losing Charlie George with a shoulder injury and yet another dodgy refereeing decision against us.

I’ve always seen that game as the start of our decline- I really believed we would win that year- if only Charlie hadn’t been out.

18 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

I’ve always seen that game as the start of our decline- I really believed we would win that year- if only Charlie hadn’t been out.

This ^^^

... and the fact it was my first full season as a regular Rams match-goer.  

From parading the 1st division trophy to being s*** ever since.  Just my luck!  🤣

20 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

1. v forest 1983 won 2-0 so unexpected because we were really poor at the time also lots of animosity due to Peter Taylor being in charge of Derby against Clough’s forest. I was 17 at the time Derby was absolutely buzzing that night (pre getting checked for ID in pubs)

2. v Newcastle 1976 won QF 4-2 we were brilliant I was convinced we were going to win the cup that year

3. v Liverpool 1976 won 1-0 I think Roger Davies came off the bench to score a late winner, it was absolutely rammed my dad managed to get a 10 year me stood on the concrete block round the floodlights so I could see

4. v Sheffield United away 1986 won 1-0 Hindmarch (RIP) goal, we had a massive away following 

5. v forest away 2009 won 3-2 came back from 2 down to win replay and to cap it all Kris Commons scored the winner in front of the rams fans 

worst FA Cup experience losing semi final to United in 1976

My feelings too 1-5. Newtons goal v newcastle was something special. Hightlighted comment...probably never got over that one. At least Utd lost the final.

Edited by TimRam

20 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

1. v forest 1983 won 2-0 so unexpected because we were really poor at the time also lots of animosity due to Peter Taylor being in charge of Derby against Clough’s forest. I was 17 at the time Derby was absolutely buzzing that night (pre getting checked for ID in pubs)

This one...yes we were poor so spanking them mothers always makes it a better result, The FA cup Semi was memorable for different reasons...battles before and after the game...utter chaos

Fir me the cup memory is Spurs 3 Derby 5. I was a schoolkid at the time so listened to the Radio 2 (or Light Program?). My dad had got his accountant sorting out his business tax returns, I was banished to the bedroom with my brother, who taped the commentary. Whether the recording still exists I don’t know. My mum had got the Rams bug, so when each goal went in we would jump off the bunk beds and charge downstairs, to the annoyance of the “business men”.

So that was 8 annoyances, two very happy lads and a delighted mum who was busy trying to not look delighted!