Most memorable FA Cup matches

Wistaston Ram

Some odd choices in this top five FA Cup  famous victories 

https://www.sportinglad.com/football/fa-cup/most-famous-fa-cup-victories/

What your top three be?  Mine  based on games I attended would be;

1) v Notts Forest 2.0 in 1983 - The best atmosphere I have been part of. My dad treated us to seats in the Ley Stand and we had a cracking view of Archie Gemmill's freekick. Could have made a fortune that day if we had picked up all the loose change coming from the forest fans below.

2) V Sheffield Utd 1.0 in 1986 - Crammed in the terrace with 10,000 other Derby fans, little old Derby from the third division defeated the blades from Division 2 with a Rob Hindmarch goal.

3) v WBA 2.1 (2015?) - Probably the last time I felt any sort of FA Cup magic, big away following and we came back from behind with goals from Bent and Ince.

The worse games;

1) 1984 v Plymouth 0.1 - so much expectation travelling down to Devon and somehow we escaped with a draw. The replay has to be one of the worst feelings as a fan with the club nearly going out of business (never thought that might happen again!).... 

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

1976 Quarter Final 4-2 versus Newcastle United

Four of the best goals you will ever see.

But yeah, I also loved the 2-0 versus them from down the road.

The Newcastle game is my earliest memory of Derby.  I can remember my older brother who was then a Derby fan pointing at the TV screen as the 4.2 score line came up on the vidi printer. It would be another year before I persuaded my dad to take me to a game.

1972-73 - Tottenham Hotspur 3 Derby County 5 

Tottenham were 3-1 up, Derby brought it back to 3-3 and the game went into extra time and Derby scored twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nHT2_8hj94

I was at this match and when Derby made it 3-4 the majority of Tottenham fans  left the ground.

image.thumb.png.92f4128d4f518ace1fa1d09582631a8e.png

1. v forest 1983 won 2-0 so unexpected because we were really poor at the time also lots of animosity due to Peter Taylor being in charge of Derby against Clough’s forest. I was 17 at the time Derby was absolutely buzzing that night (pre getting checked for ID in pubs)

2. v Newcastle 1976 won QF 4-2 we were brilliant I was convinced we were going to win the cup that year

3. v Liverpool 1976 won 1-0 I think Roger Davies came off the bench to score a late winner, it was absolutely rammed my dad managed to get a 10 year me stood on the concrete block round the floodlights so I could see

4. v Sheffield United away 1986 won 1-0 Hindmarch (RIP) goal, we had a massive away following 

5. v forest away 2009 won 3-2 came back from 2 down to win replay and to cap it all Kris Commons scored the winner in front of the rams fans 

worst FA Cup experience losing semi final to United in 1976

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think Frank Lampard was a poor manager, but he gave us some pretty decent cup runs and the victory over Southampton (who were PL at the time) probably ranks up there as one of our best FA Cup wins in the past 20 years.

.... and with a perfectly good Bryson goal wrongly ruled-out for offside when it was still 0-0.

2 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

1. v forest 1983 won 2-0 so unexpected because we were really poor at the time also lots of animosity due to Peter Taylor being in charge of Derby against Clough’s forest. I was 17 at the time Derby was absolutely buzzing that night (pre getting checked for ID in pubs)

Far be it from me to tell you your birthday, but can I request a stewards enquiry on that please!  

That game (08/01/1983) was 12 days before my 20th birthday, and I always had you down as being just 1 school year behind me?  🤷‍♂️

Yep.  The 2-0 win over Cloughie's mob is right up there, for reasons already touched upon by others.  A truly fantastic day, so very much against all odds!

That Plymouth/Steve Cherry fiasco was actually rather stunning... as in every single spectator (including me) left the ground utterly stunned!  😲  I seriously doubt anyone from either side expected such a result.  I bet the bookies made a killing!  😢

The killer for me was Hillsborough '76... and I wasn't even there! 
After making my debut as the previous season ended with a big shiny trophy being paraded around The BBG, this was my first full season as an actual regular match-goer.
I recall having tears in my eyes watching (on telly) that fantastic bank of blue balloons, and oh so wishing I could have been there to experience being a part of something so stunningly beautiful.
Obviously, the result itself brought further tears.
My only saving grace is that I wasn't actually there to suffer (Much like the QPR PO final!).

🐏

19 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Far be it from me to tell you your birthday, but can I request a stewards enquiry on that please!  

That game (08/01/1983) was 12 days before my 20th birthday, and I always had you down as being just 1 school year behind me?  🤷‍♂️

Does your link to the Henry Cavite make you a Chadd lad? 

If so, Hi! I grew up on Wilson Road!

Jan 1979... postponed God knows how many times due to snow (Missed a few afternoons off school, due to "not feeling well")! 
Finally went ahead on Tuesday 16th Jan... and it remains the most miserable single-match experience of my life... the coldest I have ever, ever, ever been... the worst "seats" I have ever, ever sat on (Wooden benches with more splinters than actual wood!), and a God-Forsaken 3-0 away defeat to poxy 3rd div. PNE!
If my face had thawed out, I'm pretty sure I would have cried all the way home!  😢

13 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

It has to be 7 Jan 1984 Cambridge v Derby - my very first live Derby match.

We won and lovely cup run - thought was always like that!

But that was me hooked 

I have fond memories of that game too. It was the first away game I went to on my own as a teenager. Got lost on the long walk from the railway station and ended up at Cambridge City's ground! Fortunately a car full of Derby fans made the same mistake and gave me a lift to the Abbey Stadium.

19 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

At the (School days) time, no... Just off the bottom of Scabby Rise, so Breadsall Estate (Not Village).

Have been Chad since 1980 though, starting just up the road from you on Winster.  I'm down at the rough end now, too close for comfort to Beaufort St!  🤣

🍻

Edited by Mucker1884

41 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

2 school years I was same year as granty I was one of the younger ones in my year DOB 21/7/65

29 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

If you met mucker you wouldn’t think he’d been to school 😀

He must’ve got one of his sisters to do his maths exam

we both went to Darwin and Henry Cav 

Mucker modelled is game on Billy Caskey 

Edited by Henrycav81