Crewe Alexandra versus Derby County - Match Day Thread ( FA Cup 1st Round )

S8TY

22 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

The stats from yesterday’s match tell you everything you need to know about where are frailties lie. 32 shots, 2 goals, 7 shots conceded, 2 goals. 

We’re nowhere near clinical enough in the final third, and simultaneously we’re too porous in defence.

The tactic for getting the ball to NML so that he can pump near-endless balls into the box doesn’t work because we don’t have the brute of a centre forward that we need on the end of them. If we had Steve Howard, or a striker of that ilk then we’d be fine, but this tactic doesn’t seem to benefit Collins, Washington or Waghorn. We also need to up out shooting practice, the number of scuffed/weak shots we unleashed yesterday…

Defensively, I don’t think I’d play Bradley ever again. We expected a bedrock, instead he just seems to be an agent of chaos, sewing seeds of doubt and sapping confidence from those around him. It’s disappointing that the defence was the priority in the summer and the area that got most attention and yet no one really seems to know what system we should be playing or the personnel we should be using there.

With a few players likely to leave in January, and even more being out of contract in the summer than this summer is looking like another major rebuild. If that’s the case then we’re near enough back to square one, meaning we’ve effectively just wasted a couple of seasons. In that scenario I’m not sure what the value is of giving Warne even more time.

I'm not sure its failing to be clinical, more that the quality of the chance we create is poor.

Earlier in the thread I think I saw xG at 2.96, which sounds good, but from 32 shots gives you an average xG per shot of 0.09, individually these aren't chances you should "expect" to score from.

SofaScore had us as having 1 "Big Chance" yesterday, which was missed by NML (I'm not sure which chance this was). Crewe had 2, scoring 1 and missing 1.

We need to be focused on creating a better quality of chance, chances you think to yourself "he should score that", rather than a series of half chances.

16 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

The kind that wanted a three year contract on high wages for a 30 year old with no resale value at the end of his contract.

Resale value…..I go to bed dreaming about resale value 😴💤🛌🥱 Shouldn’t really have signed McGoldrick as we got B all for him when he left ☹️

Edited by Jimbo Ram

16 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Was at the game, think,the telly put on a different game to the one I was watching judging by the hysteria again on here , a good cup tie , defensive errors , lower league club on verge of upset, fight back at the end, dominant display from the Rams , Crewe defended like lions and made it difficult for us but the lads stuck at it and deserved a replay

little britain television GIF

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Resale value…..I go to bed dreaming about resale value 😴💤🛌🥱 Shouldn’t really have signed McGoldrick as we got B all for him when he left ☹️

I don't recall McGoldrick costing a transfer fee.  He came on a free, left on a free.

Not thinking about resale value whilst throwing money at promotion attempts got us where we are today.  Like it or not, we're living within our means now.  The days of throwing away transfer fees on 30+ year olds are gone.

Another game where we've had multiple shots at goal and scrambled a late draw. We need to put all of our resources into buying a new striker in January. Collins, love his work rate but needs 30 chances to score. Washington is hot and cold. John Jules is very injury prone. Waggy plays more as an attacking midfielder. 

Sonny Bradley, no wonder the Luton fans were saying he was a liability after he returned from his bad injury. Great service but passed his best. At this point, we may as well have kept Curt Davies another season if we needed another centre half. Such a shame. He has come in with this hype however all I've seen is his total inability against any pace and lack of composure on the ball. He'd be fine coming off the bench for the last 10-15 mins of games to win lots of headers, I think that's where he is at in his career.

Not sure about the Warne chants from our crowd yesterday, it was a cup game and the team did create numerous chances. I'm probably one of his biggest critics, I think our supporters need to pick their battles better because I couldn't understand the abuse he was receiving when 2-0 down.

43 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I can’t remember you complaining when we signed Bradley.

Nope, but then I only knew what was being put about in the media and by Bradley himself. At least I don't have to now kid myself he's any kind of really good. And no doubt Cashin was just letting Bradley acclimatise. I guess we'll see more post-January window. I'd rather Fozzy played CB, he's still the player at that position, that he was last season. Seems Warne didn't remember that.

Edited by RoyMac5

29 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We didn’t pay a fee for McGoldrick, didn’t give him a 3 year contract and he wasn’t on high wages, but apart from that….

14 hours ago, MaltRam said:

At no stage did Crewe ever look like the team from a higher division.

We bossed the ball for 90 minutes, but for 85 of them we never looked like scoring or when we did get carve a sight of goal we fluffed it.

Where we annoyed the bejesus out of me was with yet another pair of soft, soft goals conceded out of low danger situations. Teams have always got a chamce against us, especially if we don't score early and they can stay compact and wait for the c***-up.

We got out of jail. Bring on err, Wolves youth team. Sigh.

Thought their first goal was a good one really.  Perfect delivery and the forward only needs to gamble where it will go and it is nigh on impossible to stop

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Nope, but then I only knew what was being put about in the media and by Bradley himself. At least I don't have to now kid myself he's any kind of good. But no doubt Cashin was just letting Bradley acclimatise. I guess we'll see more post-January window. I'd rather Fozzy played CB, he's still the player at that position, that he was last season. Seems Warne didn't remember that.

I have come to realise from reading your posts that hindsight is your best friend 😉

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You see the results of the players mentality out on the pitch - if that is not deliberately instilled by Warne, who has often said the old 'that's not how I want them to play' line, then he's not doing his job. I did not say what mentality Warne was instilling did I?

Were you not inferring a certain mentality? The only mentality I saw yesterday was a determination to score and get a result. Didn’t often work for them but I think the mentality was there?

2 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Were you not inferring a certain mentality? The only mentality I saw yesterday was a determination to score and get a result. Didn’t often work for them but I think the mentality was there?

They kept on trying. 

3 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Although I respect that you should be able to voice your opinion, even if I don’t agree with quite a lot you say, what I do not agree with are phrases and comments like “the mentality he installs in them”. You are are not at the training ground or in the dressing room prior to a game. You cannot possibly know what is said to them. I have never heard Warne say after a game where we haven’t played well, that that was how he told them to play. I have never heard a player say “that was how we were told to play”. Quite the contrary he appears to say he wants them to play like Man City, Liverpool play I.e. high energy and press to get the ball back) which can’t be a bad philosophy, even if we haven’t got the skill levels to attain that yet. Every one say he won’t cope in the Championship, but with better players he might.

It is just your supposition which backs up your wish for Warne to leave. Give me actual facts etc to back up your argument and I will agree with you on those, but not guesswork.

Actually, at the “meet the players and coaches” forum Hourihane said “if you don’t  play Paul Warne’s way, you don’t play”. In other words the players gave to do what they are told.

As he is the manager, telling the players how to play is part of his job. And when there is a clearly identifiable pattern of play (in our case get it wide and sling it in) it is obvious that the players are being told to play like that. And saying so is not beyond the bounds of what is permissible.

Edited by DavesaRam

5 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Well you’ve just contradicted yourself if both goals came from passing. We did try to pass through their lines but when you have 10 /11 opponents in the box it isn’t easy. We lacked creativity, yes, but we tried various methods to unlock them.

We tried one method until the 88th minute when instead of lobbing it in, we passed back inside to NML and he decided to shoot rather than passing back out wide for another cross.

We didn’t play badly. We were just far too predictable for 88 minutes. 

54 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

We didn’t pay a fee for McGoldrick, didn’t give him a 3 year contract and he wasn’t on high wages, but apart from that….

I never said we did but we also got nothing when he went. So, when making signings, what is the key criteria, what his resale value is or whether he is any good? I am not suggesting we spend mega bucks, but we may need to get 2 or 3 decent additions in, regardless of their resale value, if it means getting us out of this division 😊