January Reinforcements

sage

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That wasn't the point. I don't doubt that Warne wouldn't be allowed to spend £5.74 on a transfer. How could our overheads for the season ahead be any less than now when we have a better budget?

But the real point was "...how come we signed so many good players under Rosenior?" 

I've read the highlighted line 5 or 6 times now and still can't make sense of it...?

Rosenior likely had more wiggle room financially due to the combined wage bill being so low. Now the squad is much fuller, if the business plan is tied to spending limits, more wages on the books means we're far closer to that limit, and therefore have less money to offer as potential wages to new signings. Hence finding it harder to do deals as the business plan is tighter now our overheads are much larger. 

1 minute ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Ebou Adams set to sign for us, great midfielder at this level. The type we need a strong powerhouse to let players like Bird Hourihane and Tommo play more ball.

On this in the championship this season comparing to other midfielders in his 11 appearances so far. He’s in the 100th percentile for defensive actions and the 94th percentile for aerial duels won.

2 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

On this in the championship this season comparing to other midfielders in his 11 appearances so far. He’s in the 100th percentile for defensive actions and the 94th percentile for aerial duels won.

Be nice if that happens. Not seen a better source than "football insider" though. I'll hold back my excitement til someone serious reports it.

I think my main issue with the way the club are now blaming restrictions is that in the summer they said that we were free from restrictions and would be monitored against a business plan.

What is the difference between operating under restrictions and operating under a plan designed to keep within restrictions?

I think the club have put themselves in a daft position here by not being clear on the comms with the fans. 

Between the message the club put out in the summer and Warne saying he wanted to add to the squad in Jan I don't think the fans can be blamed for expecting more.

20240131_134706.jpg

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

38 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Hang on though - you told me the other day that McGoldrick papered over the cracks and carried us into the playoffs? So was the squad last season good enough or not?

You are right on recruitment though. We did a bad job last season and we haven't done a great job in this Jan window either. But surely this is more to do with how skint we are than Warne's ability to bring players in?

Say what you like about him but the previous summer window proved he has the pull to bring players in.

Did I? I said Didzy took the light off Warne.

31 minutes ago, Archied said:

Old players with no fee but relatively big wages ?   Sound familiar?

Yep. Must be why we're still playing most of them? 😄 Bradley et al just waiting in the wings?

Edited by RoyMac5

5 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think my main issue with the way the club are now blaming restrictions is that in the summer they said that we were free from restrictions and would be monitored against a business plan.

What is the difference between operating under restrictions and operating under a plan designed to keep within restrictions?

I think the club have put themselves in a daft position here by not being clear on the comms with the fans. 

Between the message the club put out in the summer and Warne saying he wanted to add to the squad in Jan I don't think the fans can be blamed for expecting more.

20240131_134706.jpg

Ye ive got no idea where we stand. 

29 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Ebou Adams set to sign for us, great midfielder at this level. The type we need a strong powerhouse to let players like Bird Hourihane and Tommo play more ball.

Must have been a really impressive 5 games!

Glad to see his stats have been mega-impressive this season in the league above though, limited as his appearances have been.

image.png.464236b4f1a40d4994a5561b943ad7e5.png

gdfgfdfdhg.JPG.988713590b5eb94e29a92d56f17fb202.JPG

Edited by May Contain Nuts

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Doesn't feel like we are going to sign anyone.

I just hope we can avoid another long, drawn out, slide out of the playoffs.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

A better manager would have got us into the play-offs with those players - who weren't strengthened in January. This is from Warne's viewpoint as he told us he failed last season, so he must have believed they were good enough. I believe they were good enough, the manager isn't.

Last season, par would have been the playoffs and we failed. This season par is automatic promotion. The playoffs would be failure, even if we still managed to scramble up (in which case the failure is not considered too bad). 

To "slide out of the playoffs" this year would be catastrophic. 

3 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Must have been a really impressive 5 games!

Glad to see his stats have been mega-impressive this season in the league above though, limited as his appearances have been.

image.png.464236b4f1a40d4994a5561b943ad7e5.png

gdfgfdfdhg.JPG.988713590b5eb94e29a92d56f17fb202.JPG

🤣🤣 was more an assumption since he’s looked good in the championship and too good for L2