January Reinforcements

sage

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

You know what will happen don't you?

We'll miss out on Gregory or Smith, either will go to Charlton after missing out on Clarke Harris and they'll end up in the play offs ahead of us.🙄

Bbc Three Fake Smile GIF by BBC Really

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Define good? The reason we are so desperate to do business is to get better, younger players than we hastily threw together last summer. Not blaming Rosenior for that, the situation was dire. But to suggest we got world beaters is disingenuous when they were largely over the hill and on bigger wages than average league one players.

You're right on the second point. At the very least, we were lead down a little garden path to believing this season's budget would be fine. Now you could argue the competitive budget Clowes said is right given our league position, but the implications of what he said were not interpreted as it was seemingly meant.

A better manager would have got us into the play-offs with those players - who weren't strengthened in January. This is from Warne's viewpoint as he told us he failed last season, so he must have believed they were good enough. I believe they were good enough, the manager isn't.

9 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Because it'll be tied to loss limits and thresholds. When you have literally 3 senior players to your name, these values won't be high, whereas with a full squad, they will be. Hope this helps 👍

What?

We recruited quality players. We didn't use all the budget.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Seems odd to me that after the Stevenage game the club was committed to backing the manager for the upcoming Jan window. Yes CBT has come through the door but where is the illusive striker we’ve needed since the summer? 

We signed 3 strikers in the summer, Wash, TJJ and Waggy. We need a striker now, due to injuries, but the summer recruitment was fine.

7 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

When will we not be skint? 

when DC sells us to the right people that understand sustainable growth.  What we need ideally is a local self-made man with loads of cash to burn.  Someone we can trust to stay with us through thick and thin, what could go wrong?

3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

when DC sells us to the right people that understand sustainable growth.  What we need ideally is a local self-made man with loads of cash to burn.  Someone we can trust to stay with us through thick and thin, what could go wrong?

As soon as that happens we'll be Morris dancing all the way to the premier league.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What?

We recruited quality players. We didn't use all the budget.

Because it's likely not a rudimentary budget as you're envisioning it. It'll be 'cannot exceed £X per season', balanced against turnover and revenue margins. Beginning of last season, overheads would be so low, that getting deals done was easy. Now our running costs are substantially higher, working around the agreed plan will be trickier.

Doesn't that seem more likely than ''You can spend £5.74 on transfer fees this season Derby, now go spend it wisely''? 😂

6 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Because it's likely not a rudimentary budget as you're envisioning it. It'll be 'cannot exceed £X per season', balanced against turnover and revenue margins. Beginning of last season, overheads would be so low, that getting deals done was easy. Now our running costs are substantially higher, working around the agreed plan will be trickier.

Doesn't that seem more likely than ''You can spend £5.74 on transfer fees this season Derby, now go spend it wisely''? 😂

That wasn't the point. I don't doubt that Warne wouldn't be allowed to spend £5.74 on a transfer. How could our overheads for the season ahead be any less than now when we have a better budget?

But the real point was "...how come we signed so many good players under Rosenior?" 

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

A better manager would have got us into the play-offs with those players - who weren't strengthened in January. This is from Warne's viewpoint as he told us he failed last season, so he must have believed they were good enough. I believe they were good enough, the manager isn't.

Hang on though - you told me the other day that McGoldrick papered over the cracks and carried us into the playoffs? So was the squad last season good enough or not?

You are right on recruitment though. We did a bad job last season and we haven't done a great job in this Jan window either. But surely this is more to do with how skint we are than Warne's ability to bring players in?

Say what you like about him but the previous summer window proved he has the pull to bring players in.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It's purely because he isn't a very good manager really, I don't make the rules 🤷‍♂️

Yes you do make the rules , doesn’t matter if the bloke has 3 promotions from this league in a short so far career, doesn’t matter we are right in the mix for autos , doesn’t matter didzy had his best year ever under him , doesn’t matter Mendez lang is heading for the same , doesn’t matter Collins who’s slated as rubbish is having a great season ,,,,,,,,, YOU DONT LIKE HIM,,, that’s that , toys leave pram and we’ve all got to hear about it incessantly,,,,,, YAWN 🤷🏻‍♂️

Think unfortunately the days of managers getting good players on the cheap or on loan because they’re pals with another manager have gone. 

We really needed Warne’s mates in the game to sort us out but that has seemingly proved impossible.

49 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If our budget and restrictions are now so onerous how come we signed so many good players under Rosenior? We were told our budget wasn't all used last season weren't we, and that this seasons is 'better' weren't we?

Old players with no fee but relatively big wages ?   Sound familiar?

Not really sure why everyone is getting so worked up about it. The club knew what they were working with and doing. We have opted to gamble on keeping Cashin and this is our outcome. We took gambles on two injury prone players we didn't need to. I can't imagine we are even close to justifiyng the wages spent on Bradley yet.

PW was in part hired because he is used to working under a budget. Did his Rotherham sides have a greater budget than we do?

I think DC had/has every confidence that PW could deliver promotion in these conditions. 

The last thing we need to do now is make a panic signing. We may have to accept that it is up to PW to get the best out of the resources he already has at the club. We will only really get a true idea of what DC is willing to put in once restrictions are lifted and my feeling is it won't be a huge amount different. But I'd rather we stay sensible.

1 minute ago, BondJovi said:

Not really sure why everyone is getting so worked up about it. The club knew what they were working with and doing. We have opted to gamble on keeping Cashin and this is our outcome. We took gambles on two injury prone players we didn't need to. I can't imagine we are even close to justifiyng the wages spent on Bradley yet.

PW was in part hired because he is used to working under a budget. Did his Rotherham sides have a greater budget than we do?

I think DC had/has every confidence that PW could deliver promotion in these conditions. 

The last thing we need to do now is make a panic signing. We may have to accept that it is up to PW to get the best out of the resources he already has at the club. We will only really get a true idea of what DC is willing to put in once restrictions are lifted and my feeling is it won't be a huge amount different. But I'd rather we stay sensible.

Spot on ,,, dc saved the club , he hasn’t got mega bucks to throw at the club and even if he had we know where that leads , there’s quite a few clubs just now that have owners who have the bucks to throw into clubs but if it doesn’t come off ffp rules are broken and your in the poo with an even greater mountain to climb , there is no money making model in football,even in the prem it’s poo or bust for the majority