January Reinforcements

sage

14 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We haven't got 300 k to spend upfront to allow us to bring in another player this window.  So we are taking from a future budget under the clubs own direction, or having to manoeuvre a pre existing condition in the 2 year plan.  Can't see any other reasoning unless I've missed it. 

We must be reading it differently.  My take is that under the terms of the agreed BP, we can pay for loans but the only way we can pay for permanent deals is to sell first.  We don’t want to sell anyone.  We pay for the loan and he’s already agreed a permanent contract.  The £300k is out of the loan fee pot that’s part of our BP, so it’s affordable.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's coming up with some Byzantine plan to effectively spend 300k on a player regardless of how the outlay is made. Same result loan fee or permanent transfer. 300k. 

It also irks me slightly that the talk in the summer was that we had a pot of money for transfers but this pot is none existent as it has a dependency on players being sold. 

We have spent 300k, that's a pot of money for transfers isn't it ? 

15 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Was he out of contract? I've seen plenty of loans with options to buy, but can't remember a single pre-agreed loan and then signing. Maybe it's just my beer addled brain.

Didn’t we do something similar with Frank Fielding?  I seem to remember him coming on loan and an agreed permanent move but he couldn’t play during the loan cos he was injured, number of loans, or something.  Maybe my tired brain is remembering it wrong 🤷‍♂️.

1 minute ago, Returning ram said:

We have spent 300k, that's a pot of money for transfers isn't it ? 

We're bordering on semantics or weasel words now.

I remember Warne quite clearly saying that he had a budget to juggle and he had to decide whether to use it on on a transfer fee or instead use it across a number of players all on loans or frees.

Not that I'm blaming Warne the message given out was deliberately ambiguous.

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Yes it is, if you don't want to make many transfers.....

Sorry don't understand, are you saying the pot is empty now ? 

Maybe the issue is the business plan we have to adhere to rather than the pot itself.

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

We're bordering on semantics or weasel words now.

I remember Warne quite clearly saying that he had a budget to juggle and he had to decide whether to use it on on a transfer fee or instead use it across a number of players all on loans or frees.

Not that I'm blaming Warne the message given out was deliberately ambiguous.

Depends how you look at it. For me we haven't weakened the squad by cashing in on our prized assets and have just funded a transfer for 300k.

It could have easily been the other way around and used that as an excuse for cashing in. Plus we haven't reached deadline yet and there is a starting possibility of bringing more faces in.

For any football manager players you can loan a player with an option/mandatory buy option. 

It seems we’ve done this to get around the red tape. Sneaking through EFL loopholes..we’re back and better than ever.

With Knights attributes and regular MOTM/POTM awards. It's a shame we didn't hang on to him and take a chance like we have so far with Cashin and Bird.  We weren't given break the bank money and I'd imagine we'd be turning down similar bids for Cashin now with half the contract time and Knight with his championship and International appearances would surely have gone for more at tribunal, or not at all if we went up. His energy level is off the chart and would be just what were missing in midfield to liven things up.  Thompson isn't in the same league I'm afraid although he tries.

2 hours ago, Returning ram said:

Sorry don't understand, are you saying the pot is empty now ? 

Maybe the issue is the business plan we have to adhere to rather than the pot itself.

Here is my take.

Clowes said there were funds available for Warne to use in January. Now this was at a time where we weren't doing particularly well and it was apparent a lot of strengthening was needed and it was probably expected that Cashin or Bird or both, would leave to fund it.

All of a sudden we hit form and the risk of removing Bird and Cashin, compared with letting them leave in the summer with job done, wasn't worth taking. So, the funds that would have been available have depleted until the summer.

Hence the juggling and, in my opinion, done very very well.

As others have said, this is a Cloughy 101 tactic when it comes to transfers.

7 hours ago, rammieib said:

The structure of this deal suggests two things:

1) We wont see any signings of other players for fees so forget many of the links we’ve seen with younger promising players.

How does using the loans kitty prevent us from further signings? It does the opposite.

2) The Knight sale all disappeared to Poznan - we mostly knew this but it’s confirmed by this.

The Knight money, as much as anywhere. disappeared into the £7 million loss reported this month.

3) We’re still under a restriction of some type even though we all thought we were not.

I think you must be the only Derby fan on the planet who thought we were not still under restrictions. Salary cap and EFL enforced business plan much?

Stop trying to turn good news into bad please.

Edited by Comrade 86

Any contract can be signed in advance; it’s just it’s terms only come into effect on its activation date.

Like buying a house. You SIGN and exchange contracts before the day you actually buy the house.

CBT will have signed two contracts: one to cover his loan and one (probably dated July 1st) to cover his services once the loan expires.

Playing contracts have to be lodged with the League, but only once they are active. And a player’s registration is different to their contract and will remain with the ‘owning’ club while the player is under contract terms, or is mutually agreed to be transferred.