Derby v Shrewsbury (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

16 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Rubbish. Plenty of managers would get more out of the whole squad including the strikers. 

b*******

go on then .. lets say as some want .. steve mclaren 

a guy whos success was built upon having a cf who could get hold of the ball and bing others into play.. martin.. viduka etc etc

if u rolled the ball to collins from 5 yards hed mis control it 8/10 times .

While he leads our line we dont have a chance

Edited by NottsRam77

20 minutes ago, Derbados said:

I agree in all but strikers, our strike force is pathetic this season 

Agree, is nowhere near good enough for a team wanting to be top two. Collins tries but achieves very little.

Washington has been as underwhelming as expected

waghorn I guess is our other option. Been ok, feels like warne stumbled upon him rather than recruited him though. 

John Jules was a gamble that isn’t looking like paying off currently. Be interesting to see him when fit. 

Just now, NottsRam77 said:

b*******

a guy whos success was built upon having a cf who could get hold of the ball and bing others into play

I disagree. Steve Mac came in, assessed the squad, and built a system around the players we had. Once we started playing to our strengths, we rocketed up the table.

I do agree we had no plan b at times, but I still think that fitting the system around the players you have is the way to succeed in football. Very, very few managers will have the luxury of having a squad of hand picked players, bought for their own system.

There's no shame in failing as a manager at a club. It doesn't mean you're a bad person, or bad manager. Clough failed at Leeds. Sometimes it just doesn't work.

2 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

b*******

a guy whos success was built upon having a cf who could get hold of the ball and bing others into play.. martin.. viduka etc etc

I don't think you can chalk all of our issues up to one position and absolve the manager of all blame. If Warne knows that is a weakness then he needs to adapt the way we play to mitigate it. Is he doing that?

It's not like we are playing well in all other departments and we are only missing one piece of the jigsaw.

2 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

b*******

Collins looks piss poor because he’s being asked to just run around chasing lost causes and trying to get on the end of crap service. He’s not the best striker in the division but with the supporting acts we’ve got he should be a solid contributor. 

Let’s say Mac came in. He’d have the team actually passing to each other and moving in a way that creates openings. He’d probably start Waghorn because Waghorn is better at bringing others into play than Collins but Mac managed to get Sammon on the score sheet for some important goals and found a role for him late on in games… 

Just now, oodledoodle said:

I disagree. Steve Mac came in, assessed the squad, and built a system around the players we had. Once we started playing to our strengths, we rocketed up the table.

I do agree we had no plan b at times, but I still think that fitting the system around the players you have is the way to succeed in football. Very, very few managers will have the luxury of having a squad of hand picked players, bought for their own system.

There's no shame in failing as a manager at a club. It doesn't mean you're a bad person, or bad manager. Clough failed at Leeds. Sometimes it just doesn't work.

He walked into a hugely talented young  squad…. Made some lovely tweaks and hats off but u cant compare what mclaren took on and what warne took on .. literally night and day squad ability wise

chris martin vs james collins for starters 

martin was the perfect centre forward for mclaren .. collins at this moment in his career is the perfect forward for mid table or below 

1 minute ago, Rich3478 said:

Washington has been as underwhelming as expected

Aye. I've asked before but what does he do?

What are his attributes?

How do they got in with anything Warne says he wants us to do?

Why was he so keen to bring him in? To prioritise a portion of our budget on a player he doesn't even seem to know how to use?

We / he can't complain about not being able to afford a better striker when we've wasted resources on this turkey

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

I don't disagree with you. Should be set up differently but we never are.

Just makes the opposition defenders look great as they head out all the high crosses. Pointless. Just like Derby.

But we keep doing it. Are we not learning? 

With the amount of repeated mistakes we've had this season it feels like we're not even watching the games back. We've tried lumping it long to 3 different strikers this season and I can't think of a single game where it has been effective. Yet teams that play that style against us like today always seem to find space with strikers that are usually no bigger than Collins or no quicker than Washington. It feels as a squad we've regressed in technical ability which begs the question what on earth are they doing in training. Either I'm overrating the ability of these players or there's something seriously wrong with how they're being coached.

Just now, NottsRam77 said:

He walked into a hugely talented young  squad…. Made some lovely tweaks and hats off but u cant compare what mclaren took on and what warne took on .. literally night and day squad ability wise

martin was the perfect centre forward for mclaren .. collins at this moment in his career is the perfect forward for mid table or below 

Oh absolutely, Mac's squad was unbelievable. I still think we'd get more out of this squad by encouraging them to play football a bit. Imagine having someone like Hourihane and still not trying to set up as a passing side. I'm not in any way trying to say the team are anywhere near Mac's, just that we need to exploit what we're good at. Rather than trying to force a style of play we clearly aren't ever going to succeed with.

We missed chances, the ref had a shocker, but we got utterly outplayed and over-run first half. Second half they had the better chances and dealt with whatever we had to offer despite the territorial advantage.

Not remotely good enough. 

Two weeks to up the standards as per the stated requirement from the manager, and we get that let down. 

I don't see where we go from here.

11 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

b*******

In the first half a good chunk of our admittedly limited forward play came from Collins interchanging with Bird and a few others around him. The problem today wasn't Collins miscontrolling the ball, it was the absence of any shape and play in midfield other than a few brief moments. If any manager can improve the structure of the team we'll immediately look better, it's far too chaotic at the moment.

8 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Warne has had two transfer windows so you can't totally absolve him of any blame for the state of the squad. You also can't absolve him of the blame for our performances because one position is weak. Warne's job is to take the players he has got and extract the best performances out of them. If that means changing tactics to cover any deficiencies then that's what he should be doing.

Is he doing that, or is he trying to force ways of playing on the squad that have now repeatedly been shown to not suit them?

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

Just now, lrm14 said:

In the first half a good chunk of our admittedly limited forward play came from Collins interchanging with Bird and a few others around him. The problem today wasn't Collins miscontrolling the ball, it was the absence of any shape and play in midfield other than a few brief moments. If any manager can improve the structure of the team we'll immediately look better, it's far too chaotic at the moment.

Totally agree. I've seen dogs chasing squirrels in the park with better shape than we have in midfield.