Derby v Shrewsbury (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

Just now, Gritstone Ram said:

I doubt Warne will be on massive wages but the 4 year deal was madness there’s about 3 years left so it’s going to cost something for him to go.

It'll cost us more to keep him if it means dossing around in League one for the next three years

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

4 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

David Clowes is a football fan and an intelligent business man. I'm really not sure how he is looking at the way Warne is making use of the club resources provided and coming to the conclusion he should stay in his post.

If the only reason Warne is still in a job is the length of his contract then that represents a bad business decision.

The last bit in a nutshell. Appreciate its hindsight and nobody will want to point the figure at Clowes and its understandable but giving Warne a contract that long was risky and we're probably stuck now. Hopefully Clowes learns from this experience.

12 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

There are some people who seem to have convinced themselves that Warne is a fantastic manager at this level (regardless of any other considerations - club, squad, whatever) and seem to be willing to believe literally anything to avoid having to confront the reality that he really isn't.

There are also others (🙋🏻‍♂️) who accept that he’s a limited manager but hope/hoped Warne’s experience at this level, the good game he talks at times, and some consistency alongside a period of stability after a couple of years of turmoil would be tolerable and necessary for the club whilst also leading to promotion from this league in time. 
I still feel that way but understand the growing concerns of others. 
As I’ve said many times before it doesn’t have to descend into a binary argument with people looking to score points.
I am starting to wonder if his position is becoming increasingly untenable as the lacklustre performances continue, not that I want him sacked but I can see the argument of those who do.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

David Clowes is a football fan and an intelligent business man. I'm really not sure how he is looking at the way Warne is making use of the club resources provided and coming to the conclusion he should stay in his post.

If the only reason Warne is still in a job is the length of his contract then that represents a bad business decision.

If DC sacks him now, is that a sign that he'd already made a bad business decision, by bringing Warne in in the first place?  

I suspect it would... and I suspect this is in the back of DC's mind. 
The only chance (however slim) DC has of proving this appointment to have been a good decision is if he holds fire for now... and keeps his fingers well and truly crossed!

Scary s***, innit!  😲   

6 minutes ago, Miggins said:

I worry that their natural talents and ability have been coached out of them.

It’s surprising how much a change of coaching can change players overnight. Confidence and belief is a huge part of football and at the minute we have neither.

My biggest fear is that we continue this way, lose the actual talented players in our team and then have a team of players who are average League 1 players at best.