A four or a five?

1of4

We've had numerous posts bemoaning Warne's tactics, of his playing five at the back which as caused much contention amongst fans. Yes the games he has used this system hasn't always been a great success. 

But as this failure been due to the system or is it down to the unavailability of the players that can play it. 

Against Blackpool on Tuesday we played with a back five that looked comfortable playing it. So should Warne stick with a five or should he revert back to a four? 

Also we did have a midfield three that worked well together which helped.

I think that we should utilise both defensive formations, dependent on who we are playing - horses for courses. 
think that maybe for away games, when the emphasis is for the home team to come at us, we play 5 at the back, as that’s better for ‘counter attacking’ play which is our strength. Maybe we play 4 at the back for home games when the emphasis is on us taking the game to the opposition and being more attacking. 
To be honest m, I don’t really care as long as it produces the points to chase a promotion spot 🤔🐏🤗

I'm pretty certain we played 4231 from the start at Blackpool...

Wildsmith

Nyambe Nelson Cashin Forsyth

Smith Fornah

Wilson Bird NML

Collins

Wilson was playing LWB, not in the back line

I also saw the same back 4 against Cambridge. He seems to have ditched the back 3 (352). Many fans have been calling for a 4. Nyambe seems to allow us to do that and we look better for it.

31 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

We hired a manager whose successes come from playing a 5.

Who has recruited to play a 5.

Yet the vast majority of posts i see are people wanting a 4 which to me doesnt make sense.

All his successes came with 3/5 at the back?

Never used when relegated in 16/17, then used 352 twice as they were relegated in 18/19. He also only used 352 once when they were promoted in 17/18, and once when promoted in 19/20. He only won 1 of those games.

3/5 at the back was used for the entriety of 21/22, when they won promotion and won the Pizza Cup, and they continued to use that in 22/23. [The new manager changed to 4 at the back in January]

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

All his successes came with 3/5 at the back?

Never used when relegated in 16/17, then used 352 twice as they were relegated in 18/19. He also only used 352 once when they were promoted in 17/18, and once when promoted in 19/20. He only won 1 of those games.

3/5 at the back was used for the entriety of 21/22, when they won promotion and won the Pizza Cup, and they continued to use that in 22/23. [The new manager changed to 4 at the back in January]

So he only used it in his latest success at rotherham yeah? The years before he was a 4?

Even so its fair to suggest hes recruited for a 3/5 hasnt he?

36 minutes ago, Owen87ITK said:

For the last few weeks, Derby have played a back five out of possession. That was evident on Tuesday at Blackpool - Kane Wilson was dropping in to RWB, while Nyambe shifted across to play on the right of the three central defenders.

That makes sense. We were level with the defence and sometimes we were 4, sometimes 5. We call it a four and a half.  😉

Just now, Foreveram said:

I couldn’t see much due to two of the tallest people in the ground standing in front of me 😂

Well, I had one, but luckily he is a friend so I could just ease him out of the way or lean on his shoulders! 

The rest of the row in front were titches like me so I was okay. 

#lucky

#onceaseason 

1 hour ago, The_Sheriff said:

We hired a manager whose successes come from playing a 5.

Who has recruited to play a 5.

Yet the vast majority of posts i see are people wanting a 4 which to me doesnt make sense.

Well it makes sense if the team is not performing. Looked better the other night though, so perhaps they just needed to get to grips with the system, or gain a bit of trust in those around them.

I'd favour 4-3-3 based on most of what I've seen from Warne's time at the club, but I'd not preclude 5 at the back if we're winning games! 🙂

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

That makes sense. We were level with the defence and sometimes we were 4, sometimes 5. We call it a four and a half.  😉

I would describe what we're actually seeing at the moment as something close to this:

GK

RB   CB   CB   LB

RM   CM   CM     

AM      LW

CF

I think it depends on how it is utilised. A back 5 in possession doesn't work for us. We don't have the players with the correct skill set to make it functional. In possession, I'm pretty convinced we need to be a 4 tbh. If we're out of possession, then Wilson operating as a wingback and Nyambe coming in to form a 3 makes more sense but the players especially Wilson need to be positionally adept and focused to make it work. 

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I would describe what we're actually seeing at the moment as something close to this:

GK

RB   CB   CB   LB

RM   CM   CM     

AM      LW

CF

Yes, it was interesting watching it from the side across the defensive line. Wilson was way upfield a few times and if we lost possession Smith dropped into his place until he got back.

Also notable was that one of either Cashin or Nelson quickly came out of the five to hassle their attacking midfielder when they tried to play through the middle.

It seemed to work quite well.