A four or a five?

1of4

19 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Strange!!! I don't recognised any of their initials

At least one of the guys at the back has got to be a Curtis

As others have said, I think he'll change it up to suit the opposition.  I think the more pressing question is, how can set us up to play against team who sit in.  Our 2 best results so far this season have been away from home, where we've hit teams on the counter.  Whereas our worst have come at home where teams have camped on their 18 yard line.  personally I'd prefer to see our more technical players feature in home games, and our speedy/"head down and knock it" lads play the majority of away games.  I get that isn't the best thing for team cohesion, and players like Sibley won't take too kindly to being in and out the side, but that's where he'll earn his wages...

5 at the back. Against Blackpool we were 5 at the back but Wilson played almost a false 2 position. 

Nyambe is doing the job that we expected Nelson to do in that he covers the area both a RCB and RB would cover in a game giving Wilson licence to run the wing. 

When under pressure Wilson drops back to cover the wing and Nyambe tucks into the box with Nelson and Cash. Cash is a more traditional CB and therefore we need an out and out defender at the LB/LWB spot. 

On 05/10/2023 at 13:26, Owen87ITK said:

For the last few weeks, Derby have played a back five out of possession. That was evident on Tuesday at Blackpool - Kane Wilson was dropping in to RWB, while Nyambe shifted across to play on the right of the three central defenders.

Wilson isn’t good enough defensively to play a proper RB. Mind you he wasn’t so hot  upfield when he missed those chances. 

Having 3 CDs as slow as Bradley ( the other one), Nelson and Cashin just didn’t work. 

On 05/10/2023 at 13:14, MadAmster said:

I'm pretty certain we played 4231 from the start at Blackpool...

Wildsmith

Nyambe Nelson Cashin Forsyth

Smith Fornah

Wilson Bird NML

Collins

Wilson was playing LWB, not in the back line

I also saw the same back 4 against Cambridge. He seems to have ditched the back 3 (352). Many fans have been calling for a 4. Nyambe seems to allow us to do that and we look better for it.

Correct, it was never 5 at the back against Blackpool.

On 05/10/2023 at 13:26, Owen87ITK said:

For the last few weeks, Derby have played a back five out of possession. That was evident on Tuesday at Blackpool - Kane Wilson was dropping in to RWB, while Nyambe shifted across to play on the right of the three central defenders.

We played 4 at the back. our formation was 4-2-3-1. Yes midfielders/wingers will cover when tracking back when the opposition have an attack. But having watched the full match on Rams TV, I only saw Kane Wilson in a right back position twice in all Blackpool's attacks.

I prefer a 4 but as has been said we have recruited for a 5.

5 at the back was not working at the start of the season and I was crying out for 4 at the back. That had limited success for a bit and then seemed to yield similar results, only really marginally better performances

So at this point, I think we can comfortably play either and I think there are larger issues at play than the formation. I think these get addressed when we do what we did Tuesday with the "sometimes 5, sometimes 4" but in the opening few games it was dreadful when we did that and we seemed lost on who was supposed to be where and who was marking who. It was chaos.

I don't think we have addressed the chaotic and frankly confusing football we try to play. We are so much better with the ball on the floor and at our feet but we seem to set up for games playing an ineffective direct style. Because that's what the manager wants to do.

Which is fine if that's what the guy in charge wants. I think a rethink will be needed if the guy in charge wants to still be in charge this time next year