Silent Death

Ram-Alf

5 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Walking home from shopping last week and a gust of wind passed by me with a young girl onboard...Yes an e-scooter, What seemed a toy a few years back are now another mode of transport for the idle, Paris in France has now had enough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66682673

I'm not surprised - the French are bad enough when it comes to driving and walking without giving them another way to have accidents....

It's time to accept the reality that they are not going anywhere, despite them being illegal on the roads parents are still buying their kids them and going out on the streets/roads.

Make them legal, with big square green reg plates, helmets, high viz clothing and insurance mandatory plus a scooter proficiency test. 

Only to be ridden on roads.

Bin the hire ones off as they are making city centres a mess as they are dumped all over. 

Police will be easily able to identify rogue users and confiscate them as they would a car.

As for deaths and accidents, yes they will happen, like cars these are unavoidable, however with high viz and helmets, would go someway to make them safer on the roads.

7 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Someone died over my way no long ago on one of those. Not such a silent death as he hit a van.  

We sensibly state that everyone should wear a lid when getting on their bike (I never cycle without mine) but these things you can just jump on and bomb along without a care in the world.  

“Should”.  Not compulsory. Not a legal requirement. 
You can equally just jump on a bike and “bomb along without a care in the world”. 

6 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

“Should”.  Not compulsory. Not a legal requirement. 
You can equally just jump on a bike and “bomb along without a care in the world”. 

Agreed.  I have a friend who was knocked off his bike and cracked his skull on the pavement.  Still refuses to wear a helmet even now. Still says cars drive more recklessly and faster around people with a helmet on.

The difference is push bikes are harder (less likely) to go really fast and be ridiculously out of control of than e-scooters etc as a vastly inexperienced rider. Eg I know a young kid who had never really been on one and picked up his brother's e-scooter from the front of his house and was catapulted through a car windscreen. 

It's a bit like adults on holiday who suddenly decide they can ride a moped and suddenly find themselves bombing round busy roads with zilch experience.  E-scooters seem like a toy but are deadly. Whereas a bike over time has been accepted as dangerous ('school cycling proficiency' anyone?) and most parents do teach safety and go somewhere to teach their kids first. These new machines seem harmless but you can get up to high speeds with no actual ability to control them.