Match Thread: vs Bolton (A)

Rampant

I feel so sad for Jake Rooney. Who could have seen that coming? Great player. Good Guy.

Joe Wildsmith getting his marching orders (rightly or wrongly?) as a result of a mistake by Sonny Bradley.

Bolton penalty - was it inside or outside the box? Tackle was just on the line although he fell into the penalty box.

Some players perhaps not showing enough fight? No excuse if so. Play for the shirt and play with pride, guys, as radio Derby have said.

Such an eventful match. RDerby say we lacked discipline, fighting spirit and a couple of players not knowing their role.

I don't know what to think after this game. All I know is that we have many injuries which may just be bad luck or poor player management?

I really like Paul Warne but at the moment I really don't know what to think. 😞

Putting the ref aside. You can argue we only lost to a favourite for promotion away from home with a deflected goal, a dodgy red card and a peno that clearly wasn’t a peno.

However, the performances are concerning and the lack of fluency in the team is clearly a problem which stems mostly from the tactics.

The bright sparks were Fornah, who was the only player that had a good game and TJJ looked bright when he came on. Bradley mistake aside was better too.

We clearly aren’t getting enough out of the players and that stops at the managers door. He’s going to have to turn these performances around or we will slip back.

I know this was always going to be one of our tougher games this season but I think the point many are trying to make is that that the gap between the two sides in terms of quality of football isn't really acceptable.

Yes Bolton are good but why shouldn't we be playing like they do? It's not like they have a much stronger squad and piles of cash.

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Really? What answer could Clowes give that would satisfy fans without alienating Warne and the players?  

He throws the team/management under the bus by agreeing that the football isn’t good enough or he doesn’t answer the question which would get the fans’ backs up. 

Yes really. This is another of those expectations/perspective things. I didn’t make the suggestion under the idea that Clowes would provide a satisfactory answer to any one person’s concerns, simply that it is a fans forum and it would be an appropriate place to air concerns in a constructive manner with people directly involved at the club. What they choose to do with that information is up to them as individuals. 
Seemed like a sensible, adult idea to me, maybe I’m mistaken and we should just carry on shouting our views into the void of cyberspace instead getting more and more frustrated that no one is listening. 

Not too worried - plenty of new players that still need to settle in, combined with some unfortunate injuries and the usual poor officiating that we can expect from League 1. Don't think many teams in the league would have been able to go down to ten men halfway through the match away from home and still hold out for the draw.

5 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

A reply which literally highlights my point - you say Peterborough taught us a 25 min footballing lesson but our 20 minutes were freak? The build up? The crossing? The finishing? All freak? The defending and game control for the period after half time? It's the biggest load of biased crap I've read all day, purely because you (and others) refrain from giving the slightest bit of praise to a manager you're all set on leaving. 

I'm all for calling a spade a spade - today was one of those. Not good enough, despite the circumstances. We're just miles apart on opinion of how last week went - a great victory and a performance that is no where near as bad as some of you are making out. 

Because you aren’t going to have that level of clinical finishing for extended periods of time. Waghorn did so well considering we scored 4 goals from around 1.3 expected goals. That shows he was brilliant that game. He wont be that clinical all season otherwise he wouldn’t be playing at this level. Whereas Peterborough’s performance in the opening 25 minutes was literally exactly how they’ve played all season. Nice attacking progressive football. They understandably looked a shadow of that after we rocked them with 4 goals in 15 minutes as you’d expect any team to be rocked. 

Yes we did well to hold them off but ultimately tactically what did Warne have us doing against Posh? What part of his game plan worked other than the emphasis he puts on set plays, so fair play notch that down as one for him in the positive column. 

I haven’t said last week was awful. I said we took advantage of a golden 20 minute spell but Peterborough were better than us in the opening 25 and in the second half. Understandably in the second half because they were chasing down a lead. I had a brilliant time watching the match but after the emotions of a live game disappear and you start to look at the performance and whether we’d turned a corner it was evident that we hadn’t. 

As I’ve said repeatedly, I wanted him gone in summer. When it became clear that wasn’t going to happen I got behind him again and genuinely hoped (and really wanted it to work) we’d look better with some of his picks in the team and a full pre season. We’ve gone backwards since last year. 

2 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Putting the ref aside. You can argue we only lost to a favourite for promotion away from home with a deflected goal, a dodgy red card and a peno that clearly wasn’t a peno.

However, the performances are concerning and the lack of fluency in the team is clearly a problem which stems mostly from the tactics.

The bright sparks were Fornah, who was the only player that had a good game and TJJ looked bright when he came on. Bradley mistake aside was better too.

We clearly aren’t getting enough out of the players and that stops at the managers door. He’s going to have to turn these performances around or we will slip back.

Why was a £4 million centre back not in the starting line up ?

Just now, Sparkle said:

I was hoping to see him transferred out yesterday - too optimistic and I bet he is on a fair wage 

He's got to be one of the higher earners at the club.

I was trying to be positive and hope things improve but as soon as I heard what he's like with academy, that made my mind up. 

We only need to look at Sunderland and what they're doing to see how you can bring the whole club together. Their average age today was just 23 with a 16 year old scoring on his league debut. 

I can't see us being able to do that anytime soon with PW at the helm. 

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yes really. This is another of those expectations/perspective things. I didn’t make the suggestion under the idea that Clowes would provide a satisfactory answer to any one person’s concerns, simply that it is a fans forum and it would be an appropriate place to air concerns in a constructive manner with people directly involved at the club. What they choose to do with that information is up to them as individuals. 
Seemed like a sensible, adult idea to me, maybe I’m mistaken and we should just carry on shouting our views into the void of cyberspace instead getting more and more frustrated that no one is listening. 

I’m not writing it off but I just can’t see what anyone would gain from raising it. These internet Forums are literally invented for us whinging and shouting about things we’d otherwise be boring our other halves with

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Really? What answer could Clowes give that would satisfy fans without alienating Warne and the players?  

He throws the team/management under the bus by agreeing that the football isn’t good enough or he doesn’t answer the question which would get the fans’ backs up. 

If the question or anything near it gets asked expect something along the lines of ‘from where we started which was almost going out of existence there is in place a medium term plan to stabilise and consolidate the football club and overall business. We are still in the very early stages of this rebuild  and the first team coach was given a contract with the overall strategy in mind. Medium term in this context means 4-5 years to establish the club in the championship whilst maintaining a sustainable and viable business in the long term. We ask supporters to understand and work with us to achieve these objectives and consider their expectations against the realism of our situation’. 

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

I’m not writing it off but I just can’t see what anyone would gain from raising it. These internet Forums are literally invented for us whinging and shouting about things we’d otherwise be boring our other halves with

It’s not about gaining anything, some people aren’t happy with the performances and tactical direction of the side, I was highlighting that there is potentially an opportunity to share that directly with the club. It might not lead to anything, probably wouldn’t, but it’s an opportunity to do so nonetheless. 

21 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

A reply which literally highlights my point - you say Peterborough taught us a 25 min footballing lesson but our 20 minutes were freak? The build up? The crossing? The finishing? All freak? The defending and game control for the period after half time? It's the biggest load of biased crap I've read all day, purely because you (and others) refrain from giving the slightest bit of praise to a manager you're all set on leaving. 

I'm all for calling a spade a spade - today was one of those. Not good enough, despite the circumstances. We're just miles apart on opinion of how last week went - a great victory and a performance that is no where near as bad as some of you are making out. 

How many games this season do you think we have played well in?