So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Interesting comparisons you've made there.

First obvious comment is that both Leeds & Southampton had points deductions in their first season in League One - 15 for Leeds & 10 for Southampton. Leeds were still able to finish 5th that first season (91 points before deductions) & Southampton finished 7th (83 points before deductions) - both better than Warne could manage in his first season. Pointing to the number of seasons they spent in League One has to be seen in the context of the disadvantages they had that we didn't.

Despite that, both Leeds & Southampton fired their managers the following season after 12 months in charge (Gary McAllister & Alan Pardew), before making the ultimate appointments that took them up (Simon Grayson & Nigel Adkins). Probably a lesson in there somewhere.

Re Bolton, this is their 3rd season in League One after being promoted from League Two - they weren't a Championship step down. They've come from a long way further back than us but have shown consistent improvement since returning - 9th in 2021/22 and 5th 2022/23. By contrast, I don't think even you would argue Derby have improved in the 12 months Warne has been in charge.

Obviously circumstances are never going to be exactly the same, but it doesn’t change the point that it takes time to recover.

Leeds and Southampton had their own problems, but equally they will have had privileges we have been without too.

Southampton signed Lambert for £1 million during their first summer in League 1, for instance and spent £3-4 million across two transfer windows in 2009-10.

Something we can only dream of, at present…

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Obviously circumstances are never going to be exactly the same, but it doesn’t change the point that it takes time to recover.

Leeds and Southampton had their own problems, but equally they will have had privileges we have been without too.

Southampton signed Lambert for £1 million during their first summer in League 1, for instance and spent £3-4 million across two transfer windows in 2009-10.

Something we can only dream of, at present…

No, we probably won't be paying £1m for a player anytime soon but lets not pretend Warne is operating on a shoestring budget compared to our League One promotion rivals. Clowes says he has a good budget in relation to this division, we brought in players from higher divisions this summer & continue to have high wage earners like Hourihane on the books.

You've sidestepped the point that the clubs you referenced either outperformed Derby under Warne in their first season at this level and/or showed consistent improvement thereafter (albeit two had to fire a manager after 12 months in L1 to achieve this). Maybe you could help explain why we haven't improved in the past 12 months & why we shouldn't mirror Leeds/Southampton by firing Warne?

10 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

No, we probably won't be paying £1m for a player anytime soon but lets not pretend Warne is operating on a shoestring budget compared to our League One promotion rivals. Clowes says he has a good budget in relation to this division, we brought in players from higher divisions this summer & continue to have high wage earners like Hourihane on the books.

You've sidestepped the point that the clubs you referenced either outperformed Derby under Warne in their first season at this level and/or showed consistent improvement thereafter (albeit two had to fire a manager after 12 months in L1 to achieve this). Maybe you could help explain why we haven't improved in the past 12 months & why we shouldn't mirror Leeds/Southampton by firing Warne?

Maybe because he has achieved promotion in league 1 three times and on each occasion his team started the season slowly...perhaps the boss has placed an equal emphasis on both of these aims.

As I've said,I'm no fan of the football but clowes took him on to both steady and repair the club and achieve promotion in the medium term.

In his time at Rotherham he achieved both of those goals so you can see where the owner was coming from when he employed PW.

Unless we are looking at relegation he's going nowhere.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

11 hours ago, Jourdan said:

What is my narrative? It’s not really about supporting Warne. I haven’t defended any of the performances so far this season. The results are a reflection of an unsettled and disjointed team. Believe me, a 500-mile round trip to see us look so ordinary v Wigan did nothing but set off massive alarm bells. 

My narrative is more about time and patience and not expecting too much too soon. If a new manager walked in tomorrow, I wouldn’t be expecting an immediate upshot either. I honestly don’t think this is a squad that is playing well below its ceiling, so what would a new manager who can only bring in free agents until January really affect?

We’ve all watched enough football to know that Warne is under pressure. Bad performances and bad results - it’s not the kind of marriage that can last, so Warne probably has 9-10 games to turn things around. Like him or not, that’s the harsh reality of football.

Personally I’d give him until the end of the season but I am not the one who makes those decisions. The question is then, what do we do if the new manager doesn’t hit the ground running?

I can understand your concerns but as you have said, you have been a long-time supporter for tens of years and you have seen the few highs and many lows. If you have got this far, why would you stop now?

That’s what I’m starting to think.  I always like to give a manager time and we’re in a position of huge change and recovering from admin will take years, which was alluded to on Tuesday.  But I can appreciate others views.

I think there are two big periods coming up for Warne between the next 2 international breaks in October & November - I think we will have a break.  In the last break I said he has to get around 10 points to mid October.  After the 2nd break, if we’re not in or on the edges of the play-offs I could understand a change being made.  At that point a new manager would have 6 weeks or so to work with the squad and identify options for the January window.  Personally, I’d still stick with him.

Who would we have?  Well, that’s where I think Clowes and team need to set the strategy.  If it’s promotion at all cost, then you need a Warnock type.  If it’s rebuild the club and be involved from top to bottom, then it’s a Nigel Clough type.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Maybe because he has achieved promotion in league 1 three times and on each occasion his team started the season slowly...perhaps the boss has placed an equal emphasis on both of these aims.

As I've said,I'm no fan of the football but clowes took him on to both steady and repair the club and achieve promotion in the medium term.

In his time at Rotherham he achieved both of those goals so you can see where the owner was coming from when he employed PW.

The fans will be going somewhere at that’s not to Pride Park or away matches. Just under 28K on Saturday including a sold out away section of more than 3K. Portsmouth is a plum fixture too, a proper club. I reckon we have already lost 2-3 K ‘floating’ supporters. Warne will get a stay of execution because we have a run of fixtures against minnow teams now so will probably get some results. Also players like Bird coming back. But it won’t last. It’s not improving and it looks very like the players don’t really want to play for him to me

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

5 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The 'promotion out of League One 3 times' line is fast becoming redundant - it can't override how we're seeing this team & this club perform under Warne.

Nigel Pearson built a fantastic team at Leicester, took them up, kept them up & that team was the basis of PL Champions the following year. It still didn't work for him at Derby.

Philip Cocu won the league 3 times at PSV Eindhoven & managed in Europe. It still didn't work for him at Derby.

We're 12 months into Warne's reign & he has had 2 transfer windows to mould his squad. We have not improved in that time & I would disagree with you that 'looking at relegation' would be the only criteria for his removal. He would be gone way before that is even considered a possibility. The signings he has made & the style of play he is employing is not 'repairing the club' - it is having the exact opposite effect.

My answer to anyone saying it takes time is to look at what’s been done so far …. After a year I’d say we must now surely be a bit nearer what Warne wants than say last season with Roseniors team

and I don’t like what I’m seeing performance wise so why would another year make any difference ?

Believe me I hoped that Warne would embrace his big chance at a bigger club with better players and a larger fan base with higher expectations but the truth is he’s struggling …I would love it if he turned it around and got us playing some great stuff but here is my main concern …I cannot see it happening 

I don't get why people are turning their noses up at Darren Moore. 96 points would have been enough for automatic promotion in the past 10+ seasons before last. He did a good job than people gave him credit for at West Brom and he did really well at Doncaster. 

Currently, he would be best suited to our squad.

4 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

The fans will be going somewhere at that’s not to Pride Park or away matches. Just under 28K on Saturday including a sold out away section of more than 3K. Portsmouth is a plum fixture too, a proper club. I reckon we have already lost 2-3 K ‘floating’ supporters. Warne will get a stay of execution because we have a run of fixtures against minnow teams now so will probably get some results. Also players like Bird coming back. But it won’t last. It’s not improving and it looks very like the players don’t really want to play for him to me

This is exactly what I thought on Saturday looking around the ground. This should have been a sell out but people are starting to vote with their feet. I was in one of the hospitality sections and after half time the majority of seats around me were empty; the punters preferred to stay inside with the blinds drawn!

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

Warnock is leaving Huddersfield. Screw it, let's do it.

I wouldnt be against Warnock 

He looks the sort who would tell it how it is without joking about it and hopefully show a bit of passion on the touchlne 

The job he did at Hudddersfield last season was remarkable from the position they were when he came in