v Oxford United (H) Match Thread

Kernow

1 minute ago, RamsFan10 said:

There’s nothing inherently wrong with 5 at the back. Plenty of the best teams in the world use it. Our specific set up is the issue. I get there’s goals to be had from out wide but it’s all we’re doing. These no clear pattern of play in the middle of the park. No pattern of transition from defence to midfield and midfield to attack. Which is why we keep giving the ball away. 

Exactly.

Just now, Rampant said:

I'm sure we'll revisit this after the match no matter how this one pans out but I think the majority on here preferred a traditional four at the back. Personally I'd like 4-2-3-1 with Bird and Thompson (or Smith) as the two with Hourihane central in the three with proper wide attackers either side of him (NML, Barkz, Ward, Washington etc). 

Warne seems fixated on three at the back, he only played a back four last season when injury forced him to.

5 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

maybe most successful teams play 4 at the back for a reason

Where has this come from? 

City played most of last season with 3 at the back and started this season with it. 

The teams who went up from this division all played 3 at the back last season. 

Bolton are currently 3-0 up at half time 9 points from 9 with 3 at the back. 

Our problem is our 3 aren’t very good. Not the fact there are 3 of them.

Playing unattractive football and getting results is one thing.

Playing an unattractive system and not being able to fashion a chance from open play against Oxford at home is quite another.

NML comes to life when he's on the right and looks a bit lost otherwise. Any player running the channels soon finds themselves totally isolated and essentially only trying to win a corner.

A midfield of Smith, Bird and Hourihane is strong for this league but that's no good if they don't receive the ball to feet.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see this clicking. We may not have the players for it.