Entitlement

I'm quite concerned at some fans over-reaction to our first two results of the season.

"Yes, we nearly went out of business, blah, blah, blah" some say "but that doesn't excuse everything", but I do see the same old sense of entitlement many of our fans exhibit, thinking we're too big for this league.

We're NOT as this precise moment in our history. The rebuild won't be as quick as the Harry Enfield character shouting "28,000 crowds" in a "loadsamoney" fashion. 

We're under financial restrictions which non of us are privy to.

Just rein it in for now. Allow the manager and team to develop and work out the myriad challenges that we need to wade through this season to get us where we need to be.

Remember Cloughie's first games and our renaissance post Igor. Success doesn't come quickly or easily.

It's a graft. We've not started as we wanted. But it's just ONE league game. There's 20 odd pages discussing whether Warne is on borrowed time!

Reality check. Please!

Edited by Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster

Pretty sure DC, PW and numerous players have said promotion is the aim this season so not unexpected for fans to have this as the base line.  

Agree 2 matches is too early to get the knives out. However, a poor end to last season, poor recruitment in the final third and up to now a poor start to the season isn’t looking good. 

A win tomorrow will definitely ease any tension but likewise another defeat will see the heat turned up again.

DC might give PW the season regardless but if it looks like we’re midtable at best then attendences will drop as well as general interest.

15 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

Remember Cloughie's first games

I enjoyed them all. We won seven and lost two of the first nine league games. I hope we match that this season. Do you know something that the rest of us don't? I hope so.

But the downside was that we ended up finishing 17th in the table that season. I hope that's not your forecast for this.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

Not that I disagree with anything you have said, but that’s the sport we’re in. I wouldn’t say we’re anymore entitled than any other fan base, obviously we’re not used to being in the third tier - only our fourth year at this level in our history and I think fans are desperate for something to cheer about. It’s been four years since we spent a fee on a transfer, in time where our closest rival has spent the best part of a third of a billion pound to just compound matters. 

I felt this year was going to be something different, something exciting and it had all the promise until the last three weeks. Everything has slowed down and we’ve lost back-to-back home games to League One rivals. I said that when you look through the football league, we’re perhaps the club that’s underachieving the most under our natural level. We’re definitely one of them. Expectation is the thief of joy when it comes to football, unfortunately, the fact is that this is going to be a demanding job. Last season was the joint-lowest finish in the clubs history, in terms of position in the English football pyramid for context. Aside from Sunderland, it was the highest any team had averaged in League One since the rebranding - more than Leeds, Forest, Leicester, Wolves, Southampton, Wednesday, Ipswich & Norwich. 

It shouldn’t be underestimated. 

1 minute ago, TomTom92 said:

Pretty sure DC, PW and numerous players have said promotion is the aim this season so not unexpected for fans to have this as the base line.  

Agree 2 matches is too early to get the knives out. However, a poor end to last season, poor recruitment in the final third and up to now a poor start to the season isn’t looking good. 

A win tomorrow will definitely ease any tension but likewise another defeat will see the heat turned up again.

DC might give PW the season regardless but if it looks like we’re midtable at best then attendences will drop as well as general interest.

" A win tomorrow will definitely ease any tension " 

Exactly! A win tomorrow will massively change perspective.

Too many over-react to a single win or lose. We may have to develop as a team this season, get some things wrong and some things right. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

11 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I enjoyed them all. We won seven and lost two of the first nine league games. I hope we match that this season. Do you know something that the rest of us don't? I hope so.

But the downside was that we ended up finishing 17th in the table that season. I hope that's not your forecast for this.

I stand corrected. You've got a few years on me BR, but I do know his first season wasn't spectacular.

20 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

I stand corrected. You've got a few years on me BR, but I do know his first season wasn't spectacular.

I think you were confusing it with the second season. We drew three and lost two in the first five games but we ended up romping the second division. Many pundits said it was the best second division team ever. Three seasons later, with just Boulton replacing Green, Todd replacing Mackay and Gemmill replacing Carlin, we were crowned League Champions. That's definitely not going to happen this time 😆

Edited by Brailsford Ram

40 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Sums it up pretty well. 

Frankly don’t care if we’re a “big club” or not, fact is, we’re in League One right now and that’s the hand we’re dealt. Until we match the desire and effort of the teams we’re playing against, and us as fans humble ourselves, then it’s going to be even more difficult. 

47 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I think you were confusing it with the second season. We drew three and lost two in the first five games but we ended up romping the second division. Many pundits said it was the best second division team ever. Three seasons later, with just Boulton replacing Green, Todd replacing Mackay and Gemmill replacing Carlin, we were crowned League Champions. That's definitely not going to happen this time 😆

One reason it all changed after that poor start in 1968.  We signed Willie Carlin.  It all started to fit into place after her was put in the team

57 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

I bow to your superior knowledge BR. ( No sarcasm) 

You have no need to bow to me young man. I completely get the point you were trying to make. We're all in this together. I just hope your optimistic approach to this season comes to fruition. I'm off to Burton tomorrow. Let's hope that's the starting point of the turnaround.

COYR

2 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

That would be like Ederson replacing Wildsmith, Van Dijk replacing Cashin and Kevin de Bruyne replacing Bird.

(Not really, Boulton, Todd and Gemmill were far superior players)

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Not that I disagree with anything you have said, but that’s the sport we’re in. I wouldn’t say we’re anymore entitled than any other fan base, obviously we’re not used to being in the third tier - only our fourth year at this level in our history and I think fans are desperate for something to cheer about. It’s been four years since we spent a fee on a transfer, in time where our closest rival has spent the best part of a third of a billion pound to just compound matters. 

I felt this year was going to be something different, something exciting and it had all the promise until the last three weeks. Everything has slowed down and we’ve lost back-to-back home games to League One rivals. I said that when you look through the football league, we’re perhaps the club that’s underachieving the most under our natural level. We’re definitely one of them. Expectation is the thief of joy when it comes to football, unfortunately, the fact is that this is going to be a demanding job. Last season was the joint-lowest finish in the clubs history, in terms of position in the English football pyramid for context. Aside from Sunderland, it was the highest any team had averaged in League One since the rebranding - more than Leeds, Forest, Leicester, Wolves, Southampton, Wednesday, Ipswich & Norwich. 

It shouldn’t be underestimated. 

it’s our 6th season in the third tier

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Last season was the joint-lowest finish in the clubs history, in terms of position in the English football pyramid for context. Aside from Sunderland, it was the highest any team had averaged in League One since the rebranding - more than Leeds, Forest, Leicester, Wolves, Southampton, Wednesday, Ipswich & Norwich. 

That last bit didn't make any sense to me at all.

Maybe just me being thick. 

8 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

I'm quite concerned at some fans over-reaction to our first two results of the season.

"Yes, we nearly went out of business, blah, blah, blah" some say "but that doesn't excuse everything", but I do see the same old sense of entitlement many of our fans exhibit, thinking we're too big for this league.

We're NOT as this precise moment in our history. The rebuild won't be as quick as the Harry Enfield character shouting "28,000 crowds" in a "loadsamoney" fashion. 

We're under financial restrictions which non of us are privy to.

Just rein it in for now. Allow the manager and team to develop and work out the myriad challenges that we need to wade through this season to get us where we need to be.

Remember Cloughie's first games and our renaissance post Igor. Success doesn't come quickly or easily.

It's a graft. We've not started as we wanted. But it's just ONE league game. There's 20 odd pages discussing whether Warne is on borrowed time!

Reality check. Please!

This .. exactly this

I said in another thread before a ball had been kicked it wouldnt take long for the derby county entitlement brigade to start their moaning 

U would have thought give what weve been through and where were at there would be a bit more level of understanding

apparently not 

Massive overreaction to the first 2 games agreed, especially Wigan. However on the sense of entitlement for the reasons that have been mentioned we should be entitled. Last season the joints worst league finish in our history let’s not forget that. The caveat is the restrictions which we don’t really know what they are. It’s clearly an issue. I was saying promotion minimum this season but I now fear it will be difficult but let’s see what we have at the end of the window. We’re playing the loan market well we know the better loans come up late we might pull off a couple.

One thing is for certain - we all want and need to get out of the league ASAFP!!!!

8 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Theyre hardly going to say were aiming for midtable though are they lol

every clubs aim start of the season is that goal thats spouted froM players and management alike