v Burton Albion (A) Match Thread

Kernow

A good 10 minutes followed up by 35 minutes of dross. A couple of calamitous moments at the back to boot. I’m hoping we can see a much better performance this second half, NML and Smith are really off it. I’d look to sub both at half-time. You know with NML that his day isn’t going to magically get any better, he’s a strong starter who depreciates through the game - well he should’ve scored and hasn’t looked at it since. Smith isn’t managing the game anywhere near as well - Thompson deserves the latter 45 minutes IMO. 

We just need a win, honestly, so let’s keep things fresh and see if we can get a second early in the second half. 

1 minute ago, TheTinMan said:

We seem to have no midfield at all is my main take on that half. And we look dodgy as heck at the back. Collins has worked very hard, good set piece goal but he is rarely in the box and when he is there's no support. No idea where NML is most of the time. 

I don't think NML is a 10 to be fair to him. At least we have Waghorn on the bench who is a natural 9/10

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

2 mins added on. What I’d really like is Warne to be proactive and change things at half time. Thommo on for Smith or Bird into midfield and Waggy or Washington on for Smith. 

Smith has been a bit of a bystander so could be a decent choice to replace. Bird has been more involved (than Smith) and has had one or two good moments but needs to step it up a notch.

Always strange how being away (even when it's like a home game) makes us rush and make strange choices. Just a bit of confident, crisp passing would make all the difference because Burton are hard to match on effort (though they shouldn't be) but easy to outdo on ability.

Our problem is we are trying to get NML closer to Collins to do the things he can't do, ie getting beyond defenders. We just need a direct striker and a combative tall CDM and it will give us a proper spine because we're lacking genuine prowess in the middle of the park and someone to either play off or stretch the defence, at the moment, even though we're winning, that's where we are coming unstuck imo

Just now, jameso said:

Smith has been a bit of a bystander so could be a decent choice to replace. Bird has been more involved (than Smith) and has had one or two good moments but needs to step it up a notch.

Always strange how being away (even when it's like a home game) makes us rush and make strange choices. Just a bit of confident, crisp passing would make all the difference because Burton are hard to match on effort (though they shouldn't be) but easy to outdo on ability.

Hard to say if it’s the away game thing or generally nerves after the last two games. There’s hesitation and a lack of conviction that I think must be both nerves and them still getting used to the tactics/each other’s game. 

Started off brightly, but nit been that great since. Game is passing a few by like Smith & NML, our midfield is being bypassed but when they do get the ball they're not doing a great deal with it.

A few bits of miscommunication at the back + Cashin looking shaky at times but hopefully lets keeps a clean sheet & build some confidence.

Second half we will have the win behind us so hopefully help us get out a bit better.

I'd be staggered if anyone from the Championship was genuinely interested in Cash. This system doesn't suit him but even so he still looks clumsy on the ball and very slow. His tackling is excellent but he'd only have to make half of them if he was quicker and less error prone.