v Blackpool (H) Match Thread

Ambitious

9 minutes ago, Miggins said:

Paul Warne is the same manager who led us on a 19(?) game undefeated run last season but then we seemed to fade as the season drew to a close. One of the reasons put forward on here was that the players were running out of steam but this can't be the reason for the poor performance last night. How could  we have such a brilliant run of form then and have such a slide in form since? Lack of confidence?

COYR!!

I'll leave this here Miggins

giphy.gif

I have attended the last 3 home games and and in all of them - the opposition midfield players have been able to carry the ball from box to box without a challenge going in . We don’t have a midfield player that could tackle a Pukka Pie. I would consider putting Collins in midfield v Burton for a bit of aggression.

2 hours ago, sage said:

'Heads turned'

Everyone knows who he means.

Deflecting blame like a third rate politician. 

Your last paragraph is bizarre. I don't know where to begin with that. 

Everyone knows who he means??? Please could you be specific ….which players exactly do we all know he means? 

Deflecting blame? In the same interview where he said “I need to do better” and “I take responsibility” 🤷🏼‍♂️

You appear to be mixing fact and personal speculation to suit your agenda - almost like a third rate politician!!

Edited by Dava75

30 minutes ago, Srg said:

Cold hard facts is he’s got basically a week and a half to sort it. Bad results at Burton, Oxford and Fleetwood and he will have lost nearly all support he had. 

I appreciate the sentiment but that isn’t cold hard fact, unless you’re privy to information the rest of us aren’t? 
It’s opinion, one that I suspect more and more people will share, but opinion nonetheless.

The beauty of football is (some) opinions can change. Good results against those three and things will look better. I’m hoping that’s the case as I’m likely coming up for the Fleetwood game, Warne needs to work it out soon or it’ll be a miserable trek home 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

7 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

Everyone knows who he means??? Please could you be specific ….which players exactly do we all know he means? 

Deflecting blame? In the same interview where he said “I need to do better” and “I take responsibility” 🤷🏼‍♂️

You appear to be mixing fact and personal speculation to suit your agenda - almost like a third rate politician!!

There is a difference between saying “I take responsibility” and actually taking responsibility.

I went to the game last night so feel I can comment based on what I saw.

Positives

The second half they played a lot better. There was more intensity, desire, commitment and inter play between players. 

There were good opportunities to get at least the first goal back. Waggy had a good chance and put it wide. It goes in. Who knows? 

It was clear Wag and Wash are not up to speed or fit. It was clear that this team had not played together before and therefore there were missed off the ball moves and patterns of play that didn't work. 

I will give fair credit to the young lads in the south stand for the noise and support in the second half. Throughout most of it in fact. Well done. The team barely deserved it. Made me proud. Sorry us East Standers were like a library. 

Fozzy played well. The man of the moment Bird had a much better second half. Tommo had a good game. Cash was giving it everything including that lovely bit of skill to beat 2 players and a crunching 50/50.

So not all bad. 

Blackpool were very impressive first half and yes even in the second they sat back but there passing was crisp playing thru the thirds. That section where they passed about 60 balls to each other and had it for 2-3 minutes sublime. 

We have played 2 ex championship teams. 

However, that first half was dreadful. Cashs passing was terrible. Each ball was just hoofed up front and Blackpool hoovered them up. 

Didn't see a specific error for the first goal, just general lack of tight marking. 

Yes, a miss communication by Elder. It's his first game. Both him and Wilson couldn't seem to have the ability or fitness to pass their full back and the dilly dallying led to what should have been the second goal had it not been for that amazing shmeical type save by Vickers. 

Overall very disappointing but fair result. 

What was more worrying was the interview afterwards, and agree with others that that was not good. Don't think he has an answer to the problem but it needs exercising before Saturday.

If things are that bad then negotiate with Hull for a slightly better price. Said it the other day, need a 'Kavanagh' type enforcer and controller and a much bigger younger centre forward. Shame we didn't get May or Stockton but we need to find someone. 

Given that our saviour wanted Warne and made that bold decision,  we have to back and support him. Not sure we will go up this season now, so hold tight for another season and try and get it right next summer. Early days so strap in for a bumpy ride. 

30 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I have attended the last 3 home games and and in all of them - the opposition midfield players have been able to carry the ball from box to box without a challenge going in . We don’t have a midfield player that could tackle a Pukka Pie. I would consider putting Collins in midfield v Burton for a bit of aggression.

Yeah I’m surprised how little the issues with midfield are discussed tbh. It wasn’t balanced last season and it’s not this season. Hourihane being made captain was a bit of a concern because it near on makes him an ever present which wasnt the best idea last season. Then Smith and Bird, like both of them as footballers (I do like all three tbf), but Bird hasn’t lit up League 1 at all and Smith is very passive. It’s just too much of a muchness and there is no balance, no aggression and you just don’t believe they will win any battles in the middle of the pitch, which means there’s no control of the game…in a stadium with 25,000-30,000 home fans in. 

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

No, and that probably makes it even worse. Any idiot can see that’s who he meant. He’s sniping at his players without even having the balls to name them.

Yeah, cause that clearly wasn’t a joke. And it clearly equates to chanting vile stuff about Billy Sharp. You keep telling yourself that.

So you’ve decided who it is and what he means ,, yer right you keep telling yourself it’s ok to throw around personal and professional bile at the derby manager because you don’t and or rate him and we’ve lost two games and I will keep believing that’s it’s no different from fans throwing personal crap at billy sharp , it’s not ok to get so  offensive and hyperbolic to players and managers

Wasn’t at the game, but managed to get somewhat broken RD coverage online. Sounded an extremely disappointing first half. I can take errors and even uncertainty in a relatively new group, but lack of effort and basic footballing skills (if it was as bad as I heard) is a hard no for me. 

The comment on head turning was ill-advised and regrettable.

37 minutes ago, nottingram said:

There is a difference between saying “I take responsibility” and actually taking responsibility.

Agreed.

Just as there is a difference between saying “a few of our players may have had their heads turned” than saying “Max Bird has had his head turned” or “our best young players have had their head turned” which seems to have become the narrative.

51 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I appreciate the sentiment but that isn’t cold hard fact, unless you’re privy to information the rest of us aren’t? 
It’s opinion, one that I suspect more and more people will share, but opinion nonetheless.

The beauty of football is (some) opinions can change. Good results against those three and things will look better. I’m hoping that’s the case as I’m likely coming up for the Fleetwood game, Warne needs to work it out soon or it’ll be a miserable trek home 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

It is a fact. There’s no chance whatsoever the level of support he currently has will remain the same with poor results in those three games. I’m not saying there won’t be some, there will be, but there will be a large proportion who will be against him by that point. 

Positives:

Vickers looked alright, he shouted for the 2nd goal so I wouldn't put that on him, he made some good saves.

Bird had a good game, he was at least picking the ball up and running through the middle, and played some positive passes.

Thompson was lively, I enjoyed him grabbing a Blackpool player with both hands and throwing him on the floor! Hopefully he can put some muscle on: he'll never be tall but he could be stocky.

Fozzy & Ward looked good off the bench, as did Brown - he's got some pace which could trouble tired defenders.

2nd half was miles better than the first - for the love of Igor, please let them start against Burton the way they started the 2nd half.

Negatives:

Hourihane was anonymous.

Communication & confidence in defence was poor. Both goals could have been avoided by Bradley putting his name and head/boot through it. Even when Vickers shouted for the 2nd, Bradley was in a position to nod the ball out but he stepped off and left it to Elder. I thought signing Championship defenders was supposed to give us a solid base... I assumed Fozzy would get pushed out of the first XI but he helped shore things up.

Back three sat very wide out of possession which left too many gaps. When sitting high, it leaves space in behind. A dream for runners down the middle and long balls.

I've got a horrible feeling Elder might just be mediocre. He hasn't got the pace or snap of Ward and doesn't have the same impact. Hopefully, it's just that he needs game time.

Should/could have be been 4 down at half-time.

That first half was an embarrassing watch.

Second half was a. It better but still very little to be positive about. There was one passage of play where we cut them open with slick first touch passing. And a full on challenge by Cashin on one of their players showed desire and commitment.

I think a defender should defend first and not be overlapping to bye line to put crosses in. Other players are paid to do that. They just aren’t mobile or quick enough to play how they’re being asked to.

The 3 CB’s need to be narrower and comical out of possession. The wing backs need to get their arses back to cover the wide areas. The midfield needs a rocket up their arses and put some tackles in.

Felt sorry for all forwards as they had zero service.

Need to at least put a committed performance in on Saturday, or serious questions need to be asked 

The fact that the captain ,who has a 2nd job with villa,was removed in both games,makes me think that he was possibly one of the players Warne was referring to. As someone said earlier, Knight could also be in the ears of others.warne has studied  the two games and hopefully is changing his planned transfer strategy, the next two through the door are vital to his and our success, another ageing has been striker and we are in a serious mess

4 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

The fact that the captain ,who has a 2nd job with villa,was removed in both games,makes me think that he was possibly one of the players Warne was referring to. As someone said earlier, Knight could also be in the ears of others.warne has studied  the two games and hopefully is changing his planned transfer strategy, the next two through the door are vital to his and our success, another ageing has been striker and we are in a serious mess

I think if Hourihane was made captain, that can't have been an issue and there was lots of time to address it, albeit it's not something I don't think is great.  Knight doesn't seem that character to me, albeit if Bristol were interested in another player, they may contact him.  

12 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Season 9 Wtf GIF by Friends

why can't you count january? he signed players he chose.

you'd sell cashin and bird, but then want to go and buy some replacements that are under 26.  Why?

We would get good money for cashin and sign someone in a lower fee and spend money elsewhere