I'm hiding in here tonight 23/24 Season

maxjam

1 hour ago, David said:

I'm hiding in here from 2 kids.

Very long story short, we are the great aunt and uncle of 2 young boys, Noah (3), Logan (2).

We was approached about becoming guardians for them as their parents are separated and neither in a situation to offer them a stable home.

Was no way we could see them go into care so here they are. Currently with us under a section 20 agreement although we expect it to go through to a SGO order in time where they will stay with us until they are 18.

Last few weeks been a whirlwind, through work and these I've missed the last two games, so I'm in here hiding from those pair that are giving me full calorie burning sessions. 😂

Good on your mate. There's no higher calling than minding vulnerable kids, least not to my way of thinking. Top man. 

5 hours ago, David said:

Very long story short, we are the great aunt and uncle of 2 young boys, Noah (3), Logan (2).

We was approached about becoming guardians for them as their parents are separated and neither in a situation to offer them a stable home.

Was no way we could see them go into care so here they are. Currently with us under a section 20 agreement although we expect it to go through to a SGO order in time where they will stay with us until they are 18.

Last few weeks been a whirlwind, through work and these I've missed the last two games, so I'm in here hiding from those pair that are giving me full calorie burning sessions. 😂

MASSIVE respect to you both. 👍

Muckerette has done a bloody sterling job of bringing up two boys “belonging to someone else” (me!) from the same age (both now just either side of 40!) but Lord knows how difficult that is when neither are the true/biological parent, regardless of how close that wider family network is. 

I can’t stress enough how much respect I have for you both for doing this, and I wish the four of you the very best of luck and happiness as you develop as a family unit!

Bloody Bravo!  
Clap Good Job GIF by Team Coco

edit:

this really shouldn’t be tucked away in here, and is most worthy of its own appropriately titled thread!  

Edited by Mucker1884

9 hours ago, David said:

Bloody hell mate, what a life changing situation for you both. Its a huge commitment but absolute respect to you for taking it on.

Good luck and hope it all works out for everyone. 

10 hours ago, David said:

We was approached about becoming guardians for them as their parents are separated and neither in a situation to offer them a stable home.. 

Good Luck @David from someone 8 years down the journey.

You will have some tough times and social services will drive you mad, but a stable, loving family home is the best gift you can ever give someone.

They will always appreciate it, even if they don't always show it and don't worry when they say they hate you in 12 years time, they will ask for a lift half an hour later, so it's all good.

11 hours ago, David said:

I thought the forum was quiet and everyone must be hiding in here from the management chatter. Then this! Amazing stuff, David. I'd like to think we'd all do it if needed, but I'd much rather not be needed. Huge kudos to you and the missus. Hope you get plenty of support. And, on the bright side, at least you missed Stevenage...   😂

19 hours ago, David said:

Wow, what a commitment! I hope you both enjoy the experience and grow with your instant family. 

It's a very unselfish thing you are doing and will no doubt bring you much joy and pain in equal measure. 

Stay strong! 

On 29/10/2023 at 13:06, David said:

A great effort from you and yours, Fare warning when they are teenagers...you'll wish you were...well image.png.423e7f845090610227df888044ac48a6.png

On 29/10/2023 at 13:06, David said:

We went through the same process with 3 of our Grandchildren last year. We got granted the SGO in February this year.

We found it a little daunting at first, with Social Services involvement, delving into our past etc. The SGO process (dealing with solicitors, attending court, medicals & interviews) was a little stressful but everyone involved was really helpful and supportive. We got through it.

One thing I do recall was Social Services trying to push us into being Foster carers for the children on a permanent basis, the whole process for this seemed way too onerous at the time (I was undergoing cancer treatment). We asked about other options and were then told about the SGO, which seemed a way better permanent solution to us anyway.

It seems a little odd after the SGO is granted and Social services step back and leave you to it.

It's really rewarding to know that you can shape some young lives and give them a really stable loving home.

All the very best to you, David and your family unit. 

Edited by Ewetube
Missed an o off too.

53 minutes ago, Ewetube said:

We went through the same process with 3 of our Grandchildren last year. We got granted the SGO in February this year.

We found it a little daunting at first, with Social Services involvement, delving into our past etc. The SGO process (dealing with solicitors, attending court, medicals & interviews) was a little stressful but everyone involved was really helpful and supportive. We got through it.

One thing I do recall was Social Services trying to push us into being Foster carers for the children on a permanent basis, the whole process for this seemed way too onerous at the time (I was undergoing cancer treatment). We asked about other options and were then told about the SGO, which seemed a way better permanent solution to us anyway.

It seems a little odd after the SGO is granted and Social services step back and leave you to it.

It's really rewarding to know that you can shape some young lives and give them a really stable loving home.

All the very best to you, David and your family unit. 

Thanks, wasn't aware the SGO process was that intense.

We have had DBS checks done, house visit etc. for the boys to come to us under the section 20. This morning we're going in to sign the paperwork to make it all official our end.

From the first meeting they were pushing for an SGO, wasn't expecting that, by that point I was mentally all in anyway.

The parents individually have meetings set for the 1st and 6th November which they are given their final chance with a list of tasks to complete.

Not sure on the time frame they will be given but assuming it's weeks rather than years we don't expect them to complete any which will start the SGO process.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...