Michael Smith

DCFC1388

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Knock this one straight on the head. It was the clowns at Wednesday who stopped Johnson joining us on deadline day. Ironically since the manager change he’s been red hot so they got lucky with that. 

But don’t these fools not realise we don’t have the cash to throw around like previous?

I can understand Wednesday’s position, to be honest.

Smith might not be an asset to them any longer, but to another club especially one at our level, he will be.

If they feel he will attract interest, demanding a loan fee and wage contribution is common sense.

If that prices us out, so be it.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Smith might not be an asset to them any longer, but to another club especially one at our level, he will be.

If they feel he will attract interest, demanding a loan fee and wage contribution is common sense.

I guess come the end of the window we’ll see if they played it well. 

But on the assumption the player wants to come here and no other teams are interested then it’s pretty daft/spiteful. 

Anyway I’d move on and see if we can find anybody else. 

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Disagree, surely even if we paid his wages for the rest of the season its better than having a player who's not playing at all and still costing the club.

No player who doesn't play benefits the club as you still have to pay them 

2 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I guess come the end of the window we’ll see if they played it well. 

But on the assumption the player wants to come here and no other teams are interested then it’s pretty daft/spiteful. 

Anyway I’d move on and see if we can find anybody else. 

If the player wants to come here and he has no future at Wednesday, yes, it doesn’t make any sense to stand in his way.

However if the deal doesn’t make financial sense for Wednesday, then it changes everything.

They have every right to fight for the best possible deal, especially when there are still 9-10 days left in the window.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

If the player wants to come here and he has no future at Wednesday, yes, it doesn’t make any sense to stand in his way.

However if the deal doesn’t make financial sense for Wednesday, then it changes everything.

They have every right to fight for the best possible deal, especially when there are still 9-10 days left in the window.

Agreed. 

But on what planet are we paying a loan fee for a 32 year old when funds are as tight as they are. Fair play if that’s Weds stance. But if it’s a business power play then they’re wasting their time.

6 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Disagree, surely even if we paid his wages for the rest of the season its better than having a player who's not playing at all and still costing the club.

No player who doesn't play benefits the club as you still have to pay them 

Clubs do it all the time. They keep a player if any deals offered don’t make financial sense.

Wednesday may also look at us spending £300-£400k on CBT and be thinking that we have money to spend if we really want the deal to happen.

2 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Agreed. 

But on what planet are we paying a loan fee for a 32 year old when funds are as tight as they are. Fair play if that’s Weds stance. But if it’s a business power play then they’re wasting their time.

Absolutely correct - it won’t make any sense for us to pay a loan fee for a short term deal.

Clubs do try power plays all of the time. We are no different to Wednesday. It’s negotiating. We might walk away now and see how the situation develops and then come back.

I guess the club have to simply weigh up what will be the difference between promotion and staying in this league. That’s what’s at stake now.