Sir Jake coaching the U21’s

jono

4 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

Always underrated, always felt safe with him in the starting lineup. Hope he does an equally good job now as a coach.

Honest appraisal from me .. man mountain, never to be bullied, played with heart, guts and fire. Loved him to bits. But clumsy shirt grabbing penalty risk ? Err yes, quite a lot ! 

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

What is a legend then ! 

Right then ! Favourite topic of mine. Much misused term “legend” 

for me has to contain a number of elements, the more the better ! 

1) games played

2j Trophies / promotions won 

3) goals scored 

4) long standing fan love 

5) unique dreamboat performance in exceptional circumstances 

I haven’t quite created an algorithm for this but just because someone was here for a while or scored a great goal against Forest isn’t enough to be “legend” you can be a notable footnote in club history but to be a legend there has to be some extra magic .. what is it ? 

31 minutes ago, jono said:

1) games played

3) goals scored 

I haven’t quite created an algorithm for this but just because someone was here for a while or scored a great goal against Forest isn’t enough to be “legend” you can be a notable footnote in club history but to be a legend there has to be some extra magic .. what is it ? 

You missed scoring the winning goal against Forest

31 minutes ago, jono said:

1) games played

3) goals scored 

You are probably right.   
was Dave Mackay a spurs legend or a Derby legend.  

Horatio Carbonari scored winner against Forest.  What is he ! 

47 minutes ago, jono said:

1) games played

3) goals scored 

Good model proposed there @jono. It is a multi-dimensional construct. Significant contextual factor also is that he had quite a step-up to make and nobody was more aware of that than himself; added to that he had been close to quitting the game but his period of time as a panel-beater made him re-think. No offence to any panel-beaters it is a noble art but football would edge it for me too. Bucko is a fine example of if you want something badly enough you will run through brick walls. And he developed hugely as a player because of that attitude. Remember THAT Pirlo-esque balletic 360 swivel at Sheff Wendy? That Florist winner? That Headed winner at Elland Road? Those sprayed left-footed raking passes to the left-flank. All sublime stuff for a so-called non-league player. Genuine legend. He’ll be an inspiration and if he instills just half of that quality into his U21 charges, they’ll be far better players for it. So pleased he’s progressing up the coaching ladder. 

Complete legend in my mind, I have no stats to back that up.  Just my view of his attitude, honesty and integrity.

For me he always seemed to play to the standard of the players around him, when he had average players around him he was average, when there were better  around him he was brilliant.  Whatever, it always seemed to me that he loved playing for us and would have run through walls for Derby County…

Pleased as punch for the fella…

1 hour ago, jono said:

1) games played

3) goals scored 

Went to school with my kids, and my daughter is mates with his sister.

2 hours ago, jono said:

1) games played - YES, more than one 

2j Trophies / promotions won - BC Trophy

3) goals scored - Yes, at least two

4) long standing fan love - me, I love Bucko

5) unique dreamboat performance in exceptional circumstances - that kickup/overhead turn spin thing he did once and the poleaxe of that Forest player 100 yards from the ball

@jono I’ve filled in Jake’s application form for you, please see that it’s logged, filed and his Legend certificate/badge issued immediately.